Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

About the only thing we could disagree with Carling on is that England can manage the loss of key players better. Their issues at hooker and at the breakdown illustrate that isn't quite true. Other than that he's pretty much saying things a lot of us have been saying for a while. Our challenge is reliant on certain guys staying fit. POC, Murray and Sexton with SOB and Ross to a lesser degree are all crucial for is. But then how many sides in the competition could lose a couple of key guys in key positions and not feel the impact?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ryan and Henderson are nowhere near world class. Granted there is a paucity of outstanding locks in the world these days but neither would get a mention in a discussion on the world's top second rows.

I think we're fairly well able to cope without SOB too. For all his good work he doesn't make that many breaks and gives away a lot of penalties. He's brilliant at lifting the crowd and the team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I think we're fairly well able to cope without SOB too. For all his good work he doesn't make that many breaks and gives away a lot of penalties. He's brilliant at lifting the crowd and the team though.

Cope without him sure, but he adds a huge amount to the team and whilst he does get pinged, it's because he is over every bloody ball jackling at the breakdown. He doesn't carry as much because that's what he is doing, and doing it as well as anyone in the world. Massive player for us.

Ryan and Henderson are nowhere near world class. Granted there is a paucity of outstanding locks in the world these days but neither would get a mention in a discussion on the world's top second rows.

Ryan is world class but was unlucky with injuries and fell out of the spotlight but I'm confident if he stays fit then he will be rated as world class again following this World Cup.
    Henderson will be World Class once he replaces O'Connell.

• Advertisement

Ryan is world class but was unlucky with injuries and fell out of the spotlight but I'm confident if he stays fit then he will be rated as world class again following this World Cup.

I honestly don't ever remember Ryan being "World Class" as in - picked ahead of almost anyone else in the world. I doubt he would even have made a Lions squad to be honest.

Henderson has buckets of potential, and may step up - but let's wait until he is top level international class before we start ranking him as best.

World Class means being in the running to be picked for a world 15. Sexton, Murray, POC, SOB, Heaslip, Healy are really our only players that might make it into the conversation. Oh - and Felix Jones.

And Marmion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I honestly don't ever remember Ryan being "World Class" as in - picked ahead of almost anyone else in the world. I doubt he would even have made a Lions squad to be honest.

Henderson has buckets of potential, and may step up - but let's wait until he is top level international class before we start ranking him as best.

World Class means being in the running to be picked for a world 15. Sexton, Murray, POC, SOB, Heaslip, Healy are really our only players that might make it into the conversation. Oh - and Felix Jones.

And Marmion.

I cannot believe you left Fanning out of your world class picks.

Agreed though, Ryan is a top level international when fit and on form but doubt he would be in the 'world class' category which is a term that is thrown around a little too easily. I'm guilty of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

And Marmion.

Marmion/Boss surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ryan isn't world class. He was never world class. World class is one of the best in the world in position. Donncha Ryan never was. Good international but not at the level of OConnell etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

And Marmion.

Would add Best and Henshaw to that list, and Toner, POM, Ross are not far off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Taking Burgess is mental.

cant get my head around it. He is only going to play 12. He wont start and he wont baench.
    England are fast making a mess of their prep. I'm seriously considering backing Fiji in the opening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Would add Best and Henshaw to that list, and Toner, POM, Ross are not far off it.

Nah, particularly Ross and Toner who will never be anything more than solid international starters (which is absolutely fine).

The others have flashes but certainly aren't in the conversation for that level at this point. There's an outside argument for POM simply on the basis that I cannot recall a time when blindside has had so few stand-out operators in world rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

cant get my head around it. He is only going to play 12. He wont start and he wont baench.
    England are fast making a mess of their prep. I'm seriously considering backing Fiji in the opening game.

I don't know what the handicap will be but I'll be taking Fiji on it anyways!

28 points, yes please

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Burgess admitted after the French match that he still wasn't 100% on all the rules of Union. He said some of the other players had to shout at him a couple of times to stop him giving away penalties or getting carded. He seems like a really big risk to take. If it pays off then they'll look like geniuses but it seems just as likely to end up costing them a match as winning them one.

I don't know what the handicap will be but I'll be taking Fiji on it anyways!

28 points, yes please

Headin straight to d piggy bank

Burgess admitted after the French match that he still wasn't 100% on all the rules of Union. He said some of the other players had to shout at him a couple of times to stop him giving away penalties or getting carded. He seems like a really big risk to take. If it pays off then they'll look like geniuses but it seems just as likely to end up costing them a match as winning them one.

Jesus. That is appalling. Its a farce. & i really thought Lancaster had his head screwed on.

A good coach would have a field day targeting a player like that.

Jesus. That is appalling. Its a farce. & i really thought Lancaster had his head screwed on.
    A good coach would have a field day targeting a player like that.

The fact that Lancaster seems intent on having him play "out of position" too makes it all the more baffling. He at least has some real game time under his belt at Bath as a forward so you'd assume he has some grip on the game there but to throw him in at centre at international level in a pool with Australia and Wales, well, as you say, Venjur, Gatland and Cheika will have a field day there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cope without him sure, but he adds a huge amount to the team and whilst he does get pinged, it's because he is over every bloody ball jackling at the breakdown. He doesn't carry as much because that's what he is doing, and doing it as well as anyone in the world. Massive player for us.
    It seems to me he gets turned over a fair bit when he carries, often gets isolated. He has so many good points to his game that I think he takes too much on at times.

If we come up against England and burgess is playing I'd put Seanie at 12 for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Headin straight to d piggy bank

Your missus still looks after your money?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The English squad has been announced here.

England 2015 Rugby World Cup squad
    Props:
    Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints, 10 caps)
    Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 51 caps)
    Joe Marler (Harlequins, 32 caps)
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 22 caps)
    David Wilson (Bath Rugby, 43 caps)

Hookers:
    Jamie George (Saracens, 1 cap)
    Rob Webber (Bath Rugby, 13 caps)
    Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 23 caps)

Second rows:
    George Kruis (Saracens, 8 caps)
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 23 caps)
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 39 caps)
    Geoff Parling (Exeter Chiefs, 24 caps)

Back rows:
    James Haskell (Wasps, 60 caps)
    Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby, 28 caps)
    Chris Robshaw (captain, Harlequins, 38 caps)
    Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 18 caps)
    Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, 37 caps)

Scrum halves:
    Danny Care (Harlequins, 52 caps)
    Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 22 caps)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 48 caps)

Fly halves:
    Owen Farrell (Saracens, 30 caps)
    George Ford (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)

Centres:
    Brad Barritt (Saracens, 22 caps)
    Sam Burgess (Bath Rugby, 1 cap)
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
    Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap)

Back three:
    Mike Brown (Harlequins, 38 caps)
    Alex Goode (Saracens, 18 caps)
    Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 15 caps)
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps)
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 10 caps)

In beautiful wedding invitation style .....

CNajfsVWEAABEN2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

#CarryThemHome is a perfectly terrible slogan

MJohnston wrote: »

#WearTheRose is pretty terrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

#WearTheRose is pretty terrible too.

True, but #CarryThemHome will be wonderful if they get battered in any of their matches.

True, but #CarryThemHome will be wonderful if they get battered in any of their matches.

Sounds like they'll have a few more nights out this time around and will need help getting home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

No Hartley!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They are home already....job done!

dolan-knokc-knock.png

CatFromHue wrote: »
    They are home already....job done!

They can't be home until they've had their big send off at the O2 with Take That.

• Advertisement

They can't be home until they've had their big send off at the O2 with Take That.

Manic aggression, put the fear of God into them, bring that trophy, eh, back for good?

take-that-howard-donald-birthday-2.jpg

Looks like peer pressure really does work with the Burgess selection, Christ during the French game the Sky Sports guys had a hard on and were pushing him on us like Coke at an Amy Winehouse funeral!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry but Henshaw is not in the conversation for world's best 12. Yet.

And Toner, while very good, wouldn't be in the top 5 locks in the world. Maybe top 10.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

And Toner, while very good, wouldn't be in the top 5 locks in the world. Maybe top 10.

Toner is a one trick Pony, purely there for his height in the lineout, he was like a headless chicken around the breakdown against Scotland.

Toner is a one trick Pony, purely there for his height in the lineout, he was like a headless chicken around the breakdown against Scotland.

This post says more about your perception of Toner and knowledge of the sport than it does about Toner's actual ability.

You won't find many better at disrupting a maul and creating problems for opposition lineout, he passes well off both sides and for a big guy he seems to have a great engine and work rate. He is an ideal balancing act for O'Connell actually and we're damn lucky to have him.

Breakdown merchant he is not, one trick pony he definitely isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I wouldn't go that far. That was my perception of him when he first started playing for Leinster but he has since developed into a very good international rugby player. He is currently the second best lock in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He is far from a one trick pony. His work rate is rather good. Defensive ability in mauls,
    He isn't there to dominate the breakdown. Id prefer Donncha Ryan ahead of him but he has to do a lot to get ahead of him considering how long he has been out and Toners good form with Ireland over past season or so

Looks like peer pressure really does work with the Burgess selection, Christ during the French game the Sky Sports guys had a hard on and were pushing him on us like Coke at an Amy Winehouse funeral!

People on twitter suggesting Burgess' inclusion in the squad was a done deal from the minute he switched codes. It does seem an odd situation, especially given he was apparently never even in consideration for England in the position he actually plays for Bath in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How didn't delon armitage even make the premlimary squad ??. He's one of the best players in Europe

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Yeah Henshaw has shown a limited skillset so far, due to the game plan he's playing to as much as anything. Defensively he is up there I reckon, but in general he has a good bit more to do to be labelled world class.

As for the Toner conversation I think he's one of those guys who people form an opinion on and then refuse to change it. The guy has developed his game a lot. His work rate is fantastic, his skills at maul and in the choke tackle are pretty obvious and he's got great hands too. All of this on top of his skills in the line-out and solidity in the scrum.

News just in: 6'11" lock in not dominating breakdown shocker despite never having had an impact there in his life.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How didn't delon armitage even make the premlimary squad ??. He's one of the best players in Europe

Parce qu'il joue en France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

PTH2009 wrote: »

Delon isn't that's good.

Stefan, on the other hand, would be England's best back rower if he played 6, 7, or 8.

Delon isn't that's good.

Stefan, on the other hand, would be England's best back rower if he played 6, 7, or 8.

England would have beaten France at the weekend if Stefan was in the squad. He is by far and away the biggest loss to their team.

Followed by Manu Tuilagi. If both were available for selection I'd actually put England as favourites to top their group and there is not many times you could say that about the potential impact of two players.

This post says more about your perception of Toner and knowledge of the sport than it does about Toner's actual ability.

You won't find many better at disrupting a maul and creating problems for opposition lineout, he passes well off both sides and for a big guy he seems to have a great engine and work rate. He is an ideal balancing act for O'Connell actually and we're damn lucky to have him.

Breakdown merchant he is not, one trick pony he definitely isn't.

IMO as far as Ireland is concerned Toner is not a leader or a very inventive second row and really needs a lot of direction, persuasion and delegation, which is all fine and well as long as Paulie is his Partner in crime because there's no better man to give you all of those in one swift blow but when he's not partnered with Paulie he gets found out and he seems lost.

I reckon after this world cup and next year's six nations we will be seeing a lot less of Toner in the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Delon is a very good player and he offers long range goalkicking. His character though is another thing, in a highly charged international game I wouldn't trust him to not cheapshot someone (I believe he did it at the weekend against Racing and the victim Johan Goosen left the field with an injured shoulder).

If he wasn't a card/suspension waiting to happen he would still be playing in England IMO and would be in the England 31.

IMO as far as Ireland is concerned Toner is not a leader or a very inventive second row and really needs a lot of direction, persuasion and delegation, which is all fine and well as long as Paulie is his Partner in crime because there's no better man to give you all of those in one swift blow but when he's not partnered with Paulie he gets found out and he seems lost.

I reckon after this world cup and next year's six nations we will be seeing a lot less of Toner in the green.

I'm sorry, but this is laughable.

IMO as far as Ireland is concerned Toner is not a leader or a very inventive second row and really needs a lot of direction, persuasion and delegation, which is all fine and well as long as Paulie is his Partner in crime

Like the opener of last season's 6N with POC absent when Toner ran the set piece which we dominated and Ireland hammered Scotland?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is laughable.

I'm glad i brightened up your Thursday but this is the way i see it and only time will tell.

Marketing obviously werent told cipriani was being cut from the squad.

Buer wrote: »
    Like the opener of last season's 6N with POC absent when Toner ran the set piece which we dominated and Ireland hammered Scotland?

Was that the time POC had man-flu :-SS

• Advertisement
Advertisement