Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Comments

Would it make sense at all to expand the size of the WC squad considering so many countries have elected to run some kind of injury risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wales and Australia could face sanctions over lack of frontrow cover
    "Decision to name only two hookers in World Cup squads could backfire"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/wales-and-australia-could-face-sanctions-over-lack-of-frontrow-cover-1.2338047

Would be pleased if Gatland got caught out!
    Ireland have no worries here. Madser & Tadhger :P

It's a stupid risk

Part of me hopes it backfires, the other part of me would feel so devastated for the welsh fans if their world cup was ruined because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Would it make sense at all to expand the size of the WC squad considering so many countries have elected to run some kind of injury risk?
    It wouldn't really be fair to the smaller nations who haven't got such a large pool of world class players to choose from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I thought 32 would be a better number. Insofar as you must bring 3 LH, TH and Hooker. But i remember one poster rightly pointing out that it would be unfair on the weaker nations. i.e. bigger squads.
    More front row players would suit Georgia or Romania but probably not Japan or Fiji.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ticket sales for US vs Wallybees this weekend in Chicago don't look too healthy: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04004EB4D1052F11&#ref=usarugby

I wonder if this will have any impact on the rumoured US/Maori & Ireland/NZ double header in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Robshaw, Billy Vunipola, Dusatoir, Nyanga, Faletau, Aaron Smith, Folau, Fekitoa, Nonu, Halfpenny.

Any of these unlikely to start? Considering for fantasy teams haha.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Robshaw, Billy Vunipola, Dusatoir, Nyanga, Faletau, Aaron Smith, Folau, Fekitoa, Nonu, Halfpenny.

unlikely to start what? the first round RWC games?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In a first choice team, I assume?

Good chance BV loses out to Ben Morgan at this point. Good luck picking the French back row, doubt Nyanga will start; he has only one start for France this year.

Fekitoa won't start unless there's an injury (or maybe even two).

Robshaw, Faletau, Dusautoir, Smith, Folau, Nonu and Halfpenny will all be first choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wales and Australia could face sanctions over lack of frontrow cover
    "Decision to name only two hookers in World Cup squads could backfire"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/wales-and-australia-could-face-sanctions-over-lack-of-frontrow-cover-1.2338047

Would be pleased if Gatland got caught out!
    Ireland have no worries here. Madser & Tadhger :P

Oz, Uruguay, Wales, USA, Arg, Namibia all have only 2 hookers.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the teams are going to chop and change a lot for the first few weeks, so look at the fixtures and see what games the "first teamers" will be put out
    for example, the AB's are up against the argies first out so they will most likely put out their first team, as so might Argentina... whereas wales play Uruguay so the will rest a lot of their first liners, and use it to try out players in different positions.

if you select a "best" fifteen to start with you might find a lot of them not playing.

also look at whos carrying niggles (L williams), whos in form (D Kearney) and who will best score points for you in each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

WTF?
    For a start that's Bryan Habana...
    But I'm not sure who the plastic is supposed to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

JF100 wrote: »
    WTF?
    For a start that's Bryan Habana...
    But I'm not sure who the plastic is supposed to be...

Did you watch the video?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Oz, Uruguay, Wales, USA, Arg, Namibia all have only 2 hookers.

I only know Argies have always gone with 2 hookers in their WC squads. But thats because one of their props can hook.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bit late to this but on the South Africa quotas thing... I just recently finished reading "Playing The Enemy" by John Carlin which is all about the Rugby World Cup in South Africa in 1995 and how Mandela used rugby as a tool to manipulate and unite the nation. It was a very interesting read and without going into too much detail it was pretty enlightening. Basically up until 1995 the black population of South Africa had zero interest in rugby, it was seen as one of the main symbols of apartheid and even non Afrikaner whites had a hard time getting into the teams.(Even look now at how many of the white names are still Afrikaner) Bearing in mind that this is only 20 years ago it shouldn't be that surprising that the number of black South Africans on the Springboks team is still quite low. Realistically you're looking at the current generation of teens as being the first generation of black South Africans to grow up with rugby as an inclusive sport. Presumably an extremely gifted athlete could take up the sport in their late teens and make some inroads into the professional set up but when you compare this to the Afrikaner youth who are born into it and play it from they're old enough to hold a ball and go to the SA equivalents of schools like Blackrock and Gonzaga it's not that much of a stretch to believe that the squad is picked purely on ability. While I understand as a black South African it must be difficult to see how slow change is in coming it's not going to help anything by picking players just because they're black. I don't know what effort is or isn't being put into the game at grassroots level but that's where the change comes. Clubs in the townships being properly funded and run, and as I said above it is realistically a bit too soon to see the change on an international level.

• Advertisement

Bit late to this but on the South Africa quotas thing... I just recently finished reading "Playing The Enemy" by John Carlin

Its a great read. Pity the movie was malogen.
    teamamericadamon.jpg

The story behind Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika is brilliantly told in the book. And how the Springbok embraced it.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/07/nelson-mandela-freedom-fighter-john-carlin

Its a great read. Pity the movie was malogen.
    teamamericadamon.jpg

The story behind Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika is brilliantly told in the book. And how the Springbok embraced it.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/07/nelson-mandela-freedom-fighter-john-carlin

It is a fantastic read. I was aware of that World Cup being important for South Africa but I had no idea how big a deal it actually was to have the black South Africans on board with the Springboks and how much work went into it. I haven't seen the film but after watching a brief scene on youtube I don't plan on seeing it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit late to this but on the South Africa quotas thing... I just recently finished reading "Playing The Enemy" by John Carlin which is all about the Rugby World Cup in South Africa in 1995 and how Mandela used rugby as a tool to manipulate and unite the nation. It was a very interesting read and without going into too much detail it was pretty enlightening. Basically up until 1995 the black population of South Africa had zero interest in rugby, it was seen as one of the main symbols of apartheid and even non Afrikaner whites had a hard time getting into the teams.(Even look now at how many of the white names are still Afrikaner) Bearing in mind that this is only 20 years ago it shouldn't be that surprising that the number of black South Africans on the Springboks team is still quite low. Realistically you're looking at the current generation of teens as being the first generation of black South Africans to grow up with rugby as an inclusive sport. Presumably an extremely gifted athlete could take up the sport in their late teens and make some inroads into the professional set up but when you compare this to the Afrikaner youth who are born into it and play it from they're old enough to hold a ball and go to the SA equivalents of schools like Blackrock and Gonzaga it's not that much of a stretch to believe that the squad is picked purely on ability. While I understand as a black South African it must be difficult to see how slow change is in coming it's not going to help anything by picking players just because they're black. I don't know what effort is or isn't being put into the game at grassroots level but that's where the change comes. Clubs in the townships being properly funded and run, and as I said above it is realistically a bit too soon to see the change on an international level.

Siya Kolisi came from a township, got a scholarship to Grey High School and is now in the World Cup squad. Trevor Nyakane came from fairly humble beginnings too.

Also many South Africans of colour speak Afrikaans and have Afrikaans last names, Kirchner and Pietersen for example. The blondest and boerest mostly have French names.

Siya Kolisi came from a township, got a scholarship to Grey High School and is now in the World Cup squad. Trevor Nyakane came from fairly humble beginnings too.

I didn't say it wasn't possible or that the kids from townships weren't getting the opportunities. I'm just saying that 20 years is a relatively short time to expect real change and not just token change.

Just watching Scotland against France here and I've noticed France don't have sponsors on their shirt and I can't remember if they ever do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Just watching Scotland against France here and I've noticed France don't have sponsors on their shirt and I can't remember if they ever do?

is it on tv ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

usually only on the tracksuits or training gear

Narcissus wrote: »
    is it on tv ?

BT

What are you talking about? It's right there on the front, they are sponsored by le cock sportif

aimee1 wrote: »
    usually only on the tracksuits or training gear

I've genuinely never noticed it before.

That French away jersey is feckin class. I'd buy it if we weren't playing them :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Narcissus wrote: »
    That French away jersey is feckin class. I'd buy it if we weren't playing them :pac:

I do like adidas red jerseys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pape hobbling off against Scotland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Heard about Halfpenny going off, but Rhys Webb sounds like his WC is over if it is a fractured ankle and ligament damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Well at least one Tommy is having a good day

• Advertisement

Cmon Scotland, what a kick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

mfceiling wrote: »
    Pape hobbling off against Scotland.

Scotland just got a try - great kick upfield by Laidlaw, picked up by Seymour. France 12 Scotland 16!

wtf was that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Who was Matt Scott yelling at. That was just pure muck from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Pity Scotland didn't win that, but it was a terrific finish to the match.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lovely rugby from Scotland. So close at the end.

France 19 - 16 Scotland FT. Fair play to the Scots for giving it a go at the end, great to see.

Scotland have really come on since the 6 Nations where they showed lots of promise but way too many errors and lapses in concentration. Much more consistent now. Looking forward to seeing them against the Springboks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good game between USA and Australia. Australia winning 14-10, 35 mins gone. USA putting in some great hits and showed nice hands for their try.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Good game between USA and Australia. Australia winning 14-10, 35 mins gone. USA putting in some great hits and showed nice hands for their try.

I know Australia haven't put out their starting 15 but it's a pretty poor scoreline so far. England will be pretty happy with all these matches today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

USA obliterated in the second half.
    First Half:  USA 10 - 14 AUS
    [U]Second Half: USA  0 - 33 AUS + [/U]
    Full Time:   USA 10 - 47 AUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

USA really tired in that second half and made simple mistakes that Australia capitalised on, the scoreline of 47-10 certainly flattered them. Positives for Australia are no injuries and Foley's goalkicking. Cheika has to find space for McMahon in his 23, and Tomane deserves a shot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Is the Canada Fiji match on anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Webb and Halfpenny confirmed gone. What a disaster for Wales. I assume it will be Gareth Davies and Alex Cuthbert (with nice guy Liam at 15) who will benefit.

If anyone wants to watch the match, it's being streamed here (not sure if it's region restricted though). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_6BSr6yDA

Fiji 30 Canada 8 half time

Fiji have put huge pressure on the Canadian scrum, looked very dangerous with balls in hand. I'm at the game

• Advertisement

Canada are pretty terrible. I watched a few of the Pacific Nations matches and they were just shockingly bad.

Not entirely World Cup relater but an interesting read on English rugby here.... http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/sep/04/chasing-the-chariot-in-search-of-the-soul-of-english-rugby

Goes into the game as a whole, league vs union and the new attitude Lancaster has tried to install in his players. It also explains why League has such a stronghold in the North which I could never understand. Interesting to hear how many guys involved heavily in local teams have very little time for Twickenham too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not entirely World Cup relater but an interesting read on English rugby here.... http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/sep/04/chasing-the-chariot-in-search-of-the-soul-of-english-rugby

Goes into the game as a whole, league vs union and the new attitude Lancaster has tried to install in his players. It also explains why League has such a stronghold in the North which I could never understand. Interesting to hear how many guys involved heavily in local teams have very little time for Twickenham too.

Great article, most shocking stat from that for me, is the gap in regular players versus adult male players, the disparity between England and Ireland even as an example is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stheno wrote: »
    Great article, most shocking stat from that for me, is the gap in regular players versus adult male players, the disparity between England and Ireland even as an example is shocking.

I wouldn't really be that shocked, you have to remember that most people who played school rugby or even club rugby generally drop off after they leave school and get jobs or go to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why am I only discovering this now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement