Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If I'm a Scot I'd be very afraid of that squad.

Is there some confusion on that front? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just learnt TV3 won't be going HD on saorview, pathetic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just reading this article about the Hawk-Eye technology they're going to be trialing at Twickenham during the England v France match this weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11797604/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Twickenham-breaks-new-ground-with-use-of-Hawk-Eye-during-England-v-France-clash.html

I always think of Hawk-Eye in terms of how it's used in tennis so I wasn't sure how that could be used for assessing concussions and off the ball incidents but obviously there's more to it than seeing where a ball landed. I like the idea of a split screen of a foot going into touch and the ball being grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just reading this article about the Hawk-Eye technology they're going to be trialing at Twickenham during the England v France match this weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11797604/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Twickenham-breaks-new-ground-with-use-of-Hawk-Eye-during-England-v-France-clash.html

I always think of Hawk-Eye in terms of how it's used in tennis so I wasn't sure how that could be used for assessing concussions and off the ball incidents but obviously there's more to it than seeing where a ball landed. I like the idea of a split screen of a foot going into touch and the ball being grounded.

Its seem like a different system to whats been used in tennis and in croke park.

Its sound like a more sophisticated replay system, with more angles and the facility to watch different angles at the same time. For example if a player grounds the ball but the foot might be in touch , they can know pause it at the point where they are sure from one angle the ball is grounded and check the foot from an other angle at that very split second.

They couldn't rely on this before because the cameras probably weren't sync'd to the same clock accurately.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's a bit farcical to be honest if not only is the ref/TJs view not accurate enough but the slo-mo cameras are too imprecise. Just give the try if it's really that hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Loads of tickets up again guys...All of Ireland's matches have availability as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

kuang1 wrote: »
    Loads of tickets up again guys...All of Ireland's matches have availability as I type.

No category D for France or Italy game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wang King wrote: »

Am I the only can imagine his leg breaking in two after the first tackle?

Yeah, tomorrow's headline "Rugby players leg severed after he returns to full contact training 2 month early".

If some fijian lettuce could fix broken bones sure we'd all be walking around in the stuff.

He broke his leg, put leaves on it for a few days and his uncle told him he was good to go.

Think I'll wait for the NZ medical teams decision on this one. If this is known and has helped other rugby players I'm pretty sure we'd all know about it at this stage.

Sure we could always stick Healy in a bacta tank......

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A strategically placed x ray will solve that ;)

molloyjh wrote: »
    He broke his leg, put leaves on it for a few days and his uncle told him he was good to go.

Think I'll wait for the NZ medical teams decision on this one. If this is known and has helped other rugby players I'm pretty sure we'd all know about it at this stage.

Sure we could always stick Healy in a bacta tank......

Can you imagine - Healy flies over to Fiji, is handed a bunch of leaves and told "these will make you better".

Five minutes and some confusion later:

ZsH3zaV.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

His injury was pretty strange as after the game he was walking around no bother, I think it was only the next day it was diagnosed as a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    His injury was pretty strange as after the game he was walking around no bother, I think it was only the next day it was diagnosed as a break.

Yeah that can happen though. Really depends what type of break, where it is, whether or not you can walk on it or not etc. I've broken bones before and not noticed for a few days.

.ak wrote: »
    I've broken bones before and not noticed for a few days.

19233870.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Hmmmm I wonder if his uncle's other remedies would flash up on anti doping tests...

Zane Kirchner starting for South Africa against Argentina this weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Am I the only can imagine his leg breaking in two after the first tackle?

No I was exactly the same, having visions of some nasty compound fracture!
    Yeah that can happen though. Really depends what type of break, where it is, whether or not you can walk on it or not etc. I've broken bones before and not noticed for a few days.

Same here, walked around on a fractured hip once for ten days:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here, walked around on a fractured hip once for ten days:eek:

So you're saying Tommy O'Donnell is a cry baby :p

I thought the Welsh team was being cut today but I haven't seen anything about it. Maybe I got it wrong?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

b.gud wrote: »
    So you're saying Tommy O'Donnell is a cry baby :p

Ah Jesus no, he dislocated his hip, I fractured mine, two completely different injuries, at the time I discovered mine was fractured, I learned that 50% of people with fractured hips don't realise it's done.

A dislocation is much more serious.

That said after that time walking on it, I literally crawled into my chiropractor in tears, who examined me, and sent me to casualty (no chiropractor dissing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Wallabies team for Bledisloe Cup Game 2
    1. Scott Sio
    2. Stephen Moore (C)
    3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Will Skelton
    5. James Horwill
    6. Scott Fardy
    7. Michael Hooper
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Nic White
    10. Quade Cooper
    11. Adam Ashley-Cooper
    12. Matt Toomua
    13. Tevita Kuridrani
    14. Henry Speight
    15. Israel Folau

Replacements:
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. James Slipper
    18. Greg Holmes
    19. Dean Mumm
    20. Kane Douglas
    21. David Pocock
    22. Matt Giteau
    23. Kurtley Beale

Big call starting Quade, and a 6:2 split with Giteau there as 9 cover. Pressure will be on at line-out time given Skelton and Cliffy can't jump. Will be interesting to see how Speight goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

https://www.facebook.com/AllBlacks/videos/10153114550851915/

Air NZ new safety video (not sure best place to put it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Wallabies team for Bledisloe Cup Game 2
    1. Scott Sio
    2. Stephen Moore (C)
    3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Will Skelton
    5. James Horwill
    6. Scott Fardy
    7. Michael Hooper
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Nic White
    10. Quade Cooper
    11. Adam Ashley-Cooper
    12. Matt Toomua
    13. Tevita Kuridrani
    14. Henry Speight
    15. Israel Folau

Replacements:
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. James Slipper
    18. Greg Holmes
    19. Dean Mumm
    20. Kane Douglas
    21. David Pocock
    22. Matt Giteau
    23. Kurtley Beale

Big call starting Quade, and a 6:2 split with Giteau there as 9 cover. Pressure will be on at line-out time given Skelton and Cliffy can't jump. Will be interesting to see how Speight goes.
    Christ lads would you look at that bench! A dream team in itself.

Christ lads would you look at that bench! A dream team in itself.

Maybe 21 - 23
    But from 16 - 20 nothing more that adequate

Cooper was given lots of opportunities this RC and didn't look great at any time. It's a very strange choice to pick him again for such an important match. Maybe it's diversion tactics? Cheika knows NZ won't be on for a repeat of last week so he sticks Cooper in knowing full well all the attention will be on him and probably most of the blame if/when they lose.

Or, and it seems this way with a few players, Cheika really want them to be in the team regardless of form and keeps picking them in the blind hope that they'll suddenly come good.

Cooper was given lots of opportunities this RC and didn't look great at any time. It's a very strange choice to pick him again for such an important match. Maybe it's diversion tactics? Cheika knows NZ won't be on for a repeat of last week so he sticks Cooper in knowing full well all the attention will be on him and probably most of the blame if/when they lose.

Or, and it seems this way with a few players, Cheika really want them to be in the team regardless of form and keeps picking them in the blind hope that they'll suddenly come good.

im not sure id describe it as a very important match

i think cheika would have been very pleasantly surprised how well his experiment went last week, and it would pay no dividend to use the same team this week.
    on the flip side hansen is putting out his 'strongest' xv possible and id argue there is nothing he will learn from this game using that team. If anything the one who should have learned the harshest lesson after last week should be himself. Hes giving his front rowers another shot to redeem themselves, and hes including vito instead of kaino due to the mauling they got on the ground last week. this week cheike has included skelton and palu so its a much more powerful forward pack than mobile.... whereas hansen has gone for mobility.... it will be interesting to see who has made the right decision.

Cheika seems alleric to starting toomua at 10.

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah Jesus no, he dislocated his hip, I fractured mine, two completely different injuries, at the time I discovered mine was fractured, I learned that 50% of people with fractured hips don't realise it's done.

A dislocation is much more serious.

That said after that time walking on it, I literally crawled into my chiropractor in tears, who examined me, and sent me to casualty (no chiropractor dissing)

I know I was only taking the piss, even if a fracture isn't as serious I still would not like one.

Seeing the injuries people on here have had makes me realise that I've been really lucky so far. I've never had a broken bone, fractured my finger once but nothing serious. Never had to get stitches, cut my head once when I was younger and the used glue instead of stitches, I assume it was medical glue and not just loctite :D. Other than that just a bit of a dodgy knee apart from a month or two last year after I twisted it it's never stopped me doing anything.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    I know I was only taking the piss, even if a fracture isn't as serious I still would not like one.

Seeing the injuries people on here have had makes me realise that I've been really lucky so far. I've never had a broken bone, fractured my finger once but nothing serious. Never had to get stitches, cut my head once when I was younger and the used glue instead of stitches, I assume it was medical glue and not just loctite :D. Other than that just a bit of a dodgy knee apart from a month or two last year after I twisted it it's never stopped me doing anything.

Same. No broken bones or fractures. Got assaulted in town once but only needed the glue. Had a few muscular/tendon type things like hip flexor strains and that is about as bad as it ever got. Well if you don't count spilling boiling hot tea all over myself as a 2 year old.

Same. No broken bones or fractures. Got assaulted in town once but only needed the glue. Had a few muscular/tendon type things like hip flexor strains and that is about as bad as it ever got. Well if you don't count spilling boiling hot tea all over myself as a 2 year old.

I actually completely forgot I also did the exact same thing when I was about 1 or so, I pulled the cup over my face but fortunately wasn't left with any scars

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But I thought diet, no foam, caramel mocha frappuccinos were cold?

Buer wrote: »
    But I thought diet, no foam, caramel mocha frappuccinos were cold?

Why else do you think I was throwing the tantrum!? Damn conforming parents.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I only ever had one cracked rib and stitches a couple of times. Few sprains and also boiling water on the groin. Never had a cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Will you all feck off with how healthy you are. My body is in tatters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

haha at 25 I have the knees of a 70 year old...gotta love the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Will you all feck off with how healthy you are. My body is in tatters

M. .oo I ..n'. ...n u.. my l... h.n.

...boiling water on the groin...

ned-flanders-scream.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    im not sure id describe it as a very important match

Excuse me!! It's for the Bledisloe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

Fractured thumb, torn rotator cuff, chronic ligament damage in my ankle, couple of concussions,fractured scapula....oh and a ruptured acl 6 months ago
    #storytopping

efb wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/AllBlacks/videos/10153114550851915/

Air NZ new safety video (not sure best place to put it)

Only looking at this now. I actually couldn't watch the whole thing. Far too much cringe.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Excuse me!! It's for the Bledisloe! :D

yeah i didnt realise it was over a series, i though it was just swapped to who ever won the single test games.

saying that, i think cheika is looking at it more as a RWC warm up game and doing some expeirementing, whereas hansen is going with tried and trusted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wales Training Squad (38)

Forwards (21)
    Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues)
    Rob Evans (Scarlets)
    Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs)
    Paul James (Ospreys)
    Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys)
    Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues)
    Samson Lee (Scarlets)

Scott Baldwin (Ospresy)
    Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues)
    Ken Owens (Scarlets)

Jake Ball (Scarlets)
    Luke Charteris (Racing Metro)
    Bradley Davies (Wasps)
    Dominic Day (Bath)
    Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)

Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    James King (Ospreys)
    Dan Lydiate (Ospreys)
    Ross Moriarty (Gloucester)
    Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
    Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues)

Backs (17)
    Gareth Davies (Scarlets)
    Rhys Webb (Ospreys)
    Lloyd Williams (Ospreys)

Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues)
    Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
    Rhys Priestland (Scarlets)

Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues)
    Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    Jamie Roberts (Harlequins)
    Scott Williams (Scarlets)
    Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)
    Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)
    Matthew Morgan (Bristol)
    George North (Northampton Saints)
    Eli Walker (Ospreys)
    Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Eight players, Nicky Smith, Richard Hibbard, Rory Thornton, Dan Baker, Mike Phillips, Rhys Patchell, James Hook and Jack Dixon will return to their respective regions and clubs.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/34564.php#.VcyLSst0yHs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Was just coming in to post that, surprised at a few of the omissions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mental, I thought Hibbard and Philips were actually very good. Philips in particular made some monster box kicks and defended like a champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are the three hookers selected all better than Hibbard?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hibbard and Phillips were in the 23 for nearly all the 6N games too, Hibbard even started a couple at the start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't know lads, the anger directed towards Phillips from the Welsh crowd on Saturday was notable. They all thought himself and Hook were definitely gone.

I'm surprised at Hibbard being cut.

I'm sure it had no bearing on Gatland's choices but I did enjoy watching this gif of Phillips running away from McFadden last week instead of tackling him.

drawpass.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement