Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! OL Maths 2015 predictions, discussion etc

• 27-05-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm sitting the leaving cert maths ordinary and I'm wondering what is possible to come up this year in paper one and if diffrenciation would come up like last year and what constructions could come up and if the trapeziodal could come up for area please post your predictions in the comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Our teacher is fairly sure that we'l get a long question on complex numbers- I am completely dreading the maths exam it is literally my nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I'm probably just going to answer what I'm good at first and see what I can do with the rest.

Complex numbers should be a definite. A tax/income question would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

examinations.ie/schools/Mathematics_Strand_1_Sample_Questions_Higher_and_Ordinary_Level.pdf

So, from my understanding a question like that is going to come up in a week? I just stumbled upon it while looking for solutions.

My teacher never did this, or mentioned statistics. So, I tried to follow some tutorials online but they're all over the place and I still have no idea how to do this.

What do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hannahhc

The p hat question should be up as it's the first year to be on the OL course

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

examinations.ie/schools/Mathematics_Strand_1_Sample_Questions_Higher_and_Ordinary_Level.pdf

Could anyone provide the answers to the ordinary level questions at the bottom of the page?

My teacher never mentioned statistics, and the information on Google is too expansive and hard for me to understand. I've tried, but even then I do not know if the answer is correct.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Here is the 1st one done out. When we take a sample we are not getting information from the whole population of people, therefore there is some error in our results. The larger the sample we take the smaller the error. In this example we have a large sample of 1111 people so the amount that we might be wrong by is only about 3% (to a 95% confidence level....we're 95% sure (kind of)).

Don't worry too much about the 95% confidence/ 5% level of significance....it's always those percentages (in college they might do 99% level of significance...or some other level...and use different formulae). At higher level they use a different formula than 1/root n., and it gives a slightly more accurate result.

Note that they don't specifically ask for a hypothesis but I've included it so that you can see how it is written. They can be tricky enough and there is a bit more too it than I could go into in one post but hope this gets you started.
    Hypothesis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

Here I found this. Hope it helps. Sorry if I stole your thunder Skippy!

FFS the image won't show sorry about that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

DT1 wrote: »

Unfortunately, new users don't have the ability to post links, images etc. It's an anti spam measure. I know it can be frustrating for people in the LC forum where most users are new but it's a site-wide measure.

I think you need to have a minimum of 25 posts and 10 days. Don't go spamming now :p

DT1 wrote: »

More people contributing the better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not too bad at maths but I've missed loads of days recently when we were going over the exam paper.

Is there certain subjects that come up on paper 1 but can't come up on paper 2 etc? If so then can anyone tell me what can come up on paper 1 and what can come up on paper 2? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

Havn't been doing maths all year as its my pass subject and am not counting it! I need a c3 and thats all haha

What should I revise for paper 1?

Like can anyone give us a list of topics like there is for HL? I dropped down this year

• Registered Users Posts: 49 morclc

Does anyone have solutions to the 2015 DEB mock??? Stuck on Q7 and Q8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irishguy97

Extreme cramming needed! Just wondering if anyone knows the best topics to cover for Maths paper 1 for the leaving cert? Would it be ideal to cover algebra , arithmetic, functions???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Any one handy at the OL maths paper one complex number questions I need a hand with one

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

OriginV wrote: »
    Any one handy at the OL maths paper one complex number questions I need a hand with one

If it's from exam papers look up OpenLCsolutions on YouTube he goes through the exam papers answering them and he has a couple of complex number ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AllyBushell

Could anyone tell me the differences between higher and ordinary level maths? I'm going to drop on Friday

Could anyone tell me the differences between higher and ordinary level maths? I'm going to drop on Friday

Give me a sec and I'll do up a little list for you of the main things.

It's more a case of what you can leave out. Almost everything in the Ordinary Level will have been covered by you in Higher Level but just with a slightly different focus.
    For example you would have spend time on Polar Form and De Moivre's in Complex Numbers (and using it to find roots of complex numbers ) with Ordinary Level focusing more on addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, argand diagrams and questions involving the modulus (which you also covered but probably at a faster pace).

Here is a quick list of what you can leave out in your revision.

Algebra - no factor theorem for polynomials, no simultaneous equations with 3 variables, no modulus inequalities, no binomial theorem
    Complex Numbers - no polar form, no De Moivre's at all and hence no nth roots of unity or trig identities here.
    Functions and Graphs - No surjective, injective or bijective tests, no inverse of a function, no completing the square to find roots and turning points.
    Differentiation - No product or quotient rules, no 1st principles, no differentiation to find tangent to a circle
    Integration - none whatsoever
    Geometry - No Learned Proofs, no Construction 22
    The Line and The Circle - no perpendicular distance, no angle between lines, no division of line in ratio m:n, no use of the circle formula with g,f and c,
    Trigonometry - No 3D problems, no graphs of sine, cos and tan, no trigonometric equations, no radian measure, no trigonometric learned proofs, don't have to apply any of the 24 trig formula (you will use sine and cos rule to solve for sides and angles).
    Number - No construction of root 2 and root 3, no proof that root 2 is irrational, no logarithms
    Patterns - No geometric sequences or series or the use of their formulae, no proof by induction,
    Financial Maths - don't have to use geometric series to represent sum of loan repayments or instalment savings.
    Probability - no selecting r objects from n (different that arranging), no z-scores,
    Statistics - more detailed understanding of sampling needed at higher level, no central limit theorem, no percentiles, no confidence interval for mean (only a proportion), no p-values,

Now that list isn't exhaustive and I'm sure there are a few other bits you can forget about but that's a good chunk to be able to ignore.
    The only thing I can think of that is actually different that you need to know is the method of finding margin of errors as the ordinary level use a slightly different formula 1 over root n.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AllyBushell

skippy1977 wrote: »
    It's more a case of what you can leave out. Almost everything in the Ordinary Level will have been covered by you in Higher Level but just with a slightly different focus.
    For example you would have spend time on Polar Form and De Moivre's in Complex Numbers (and using it to find roots of complex numbers ) with Ordinary Level focusing more on addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, argand diagrams and questions involving the modulus (which you also covered but probably at a faster pace).

Here is a quick list of what you can leave out in your revision.

Algebra - no factor theorem for polynomials, no simultaneous equations with 3 variables, no modulus inequalities, no binomial theorem
    Complex Numbers - no polar form, no De Moivre's at all and hence no nth roots of unity or trig identities here.
    Functions and Graphs - No surjective, injective or bijective tests, no inverse of a function, no completing the square to find roots and turning points.
    Differentiation - No product or quotient rules, no 1st principles, no differentiation to find tangent to a circle
    Integration - none whatsoever
    Geometry - No Learned Proofs, no Construction 22
    The Line and The Circle - no perpendicular distance, no angle between lines, no division of line in ratio m:n, no use of the circle formula with g,f and c,
    Trigonometry - No 3D problems, no graphs of sine, cos and tan, no trigonometric equations, no radian measure, no trigonometric learned proofs, don't have to apply any of the formula.
    Number - No construction of root 2 and root 3, no proof that root 2 is irrational, no logarithms
    Patterns - No geometric sequences or series or the use of their formulae, no proof by induction,
    Financial Maths - don't have to use geometric series to represent sum of loan repayments or instalment savings.
    Probability - no selecting r objects from n (different that arranging), no z-scores,
    Statistics - more detailed understanding of sampling needed at higher level, no central limit theorem, no percentiles, no confidence interval for mean (only a proportion), no p-values,

Now that list isn't exhaustive and I'm sure there are a few other bits you can forget about but that's a good chunk to be able to ignore.
    The only thing I can think of that is actually different that you need to know is the method of finding margin of errors as the ordinary level use a slightly different formula 1 over root n.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.

Thank you so much!! That helps a bunch!

I am literally banking on a really nice maths paper 1 because I understand nothing on the paper 2 paper..If the gods just give me a pass in maths ill be happy (Im ordinary level and just not good with numbers :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Yeah I much prefer paper 1 to paper 2 (ordinary level too). I just can't get my head around shapes!

I remember in TY we did an aptitude test and I got 5/100 on the spacial relations section.. :P

Kat97 wrote: »
    Yeah I much prefer paper 1 to paper 2 (ordinary level too). I just can't get my head around shapes!

I remember in TY we did an aptitude test and I got 5/100 on the spacial relations section.. :P

I think that if you do constructions or something your fairly set for p2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Maths genuinely is the only exam that I am nervous for! Find it so bad how it is after geography also...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

I've gone over so much exam papers but I really hate the stupid logical questions where they throw in the algebra. Can't get my head around that. Like that wheat field questions. They carry heaps of marks too. I'm so worried cause if a long complex number question is given I'd only know half of it. Last year's paper was so nice I hope they don't crucify us this year. Is it easy to fail even if you answer all the questions?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If there's any specific questions that you're stuck on tonight or over the weekend, put it up here and I'll have a look. Except statistics :P
    jgirl18 wrote: »
    Is it easy to fail even if you answer all the questions?

If you get some questions right and make a relevant attempt at all the other ones, it's easy to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

Nim wrote: »
    If there's any specific questions that you're stuck on tonight or over the weekend, put it up here and I'll have a look. Except statistics :P

If you get some questions right and make a relevant attempt at all the other ones, it's easy to pass.

I'm actually petrified I definitely do a good few questions but there's some that I will get stuck in. For e.g some simultaneous equations are so easy and others are way tougher. I'm just afraid they'll be really tough but I'm hoping if I can do most questions then I'll pass. Eeekkk

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Quick q
    Which of these topics appear in paper 1 ?

Algebra
    Co-ordinate geometry (line + Circle )
    Trig
    Permutations + Prob
    Functions/Graphing functions
    Differentiation
    Sequences + Series

Complex Numbers
    Arithmetic
    Collecting + Processing Data
    Stats
    Area/ Volume
    Geometry

First half is from book a, second half is book b

Quick q
    Which of these topics appear in paper 1 ?

Algebra
    Co-ordinate geometry (line + Circle )
    Trig
    Permutations + Prob
    Differentiation
    Sequences + Series

Complex Numbers
    Arithmetic
    Collecting + Processing Data
    Stats
    Area/ Volume
    Geometry

First half is from book a, second half is book b

Algebra
    Differentiation
    Sequences + Series

Complex Numbers
    Arithmetic
    Area/ Volume

In general but they can be sneaky and ask little pieces of the other topics. For example equation of a tangent to a function requires you to know how to use equation of a line formula from co-ordinate geometry. In general though the above are the Paper 1 topics from the list you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jessica treacy 2015

Here is the 1st one done out. When we take a sample we are not getting information from the whole population of people, therefore there is some error in our results. The larger the sample we take the smaller the error. In this example we have a large sample of 1111 people so the amount that we might be wrong by is only about 3% (to a 95% confidence level....we're 95% sure (kind of)).

Don't worry too much about the 95% confidence/ 5% level of significance....it's always those percentages (in college they might do 99% level of significance...or some other level...and use different formulae). At higher level they use a different formula than 1/root n., and it gives a slightly more accurate result.

Note that they don't specifically ask for a hypothesis but I've included it so that you can see how it is written. They can be tricky enough and there is a bit more too it than I could go into in one post but hope this gets you started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Algebra
    Differentiation
    Sequences + Series

Complex Numbers
    Arithmetic
    Area/ Volume

In general but they can be sneaky and ask little pieces of the other topics. For example equation of a tangent to a function requires you to know how to use equation of a line formula from co-ordinate geometry. In general though the above are the Paper 1 topics from the list you posted.

Area and Volume usually appears on Paper 2 but some sneaky questions can appear requiring you to use algebra to solve area problems in paper 1.

The new material on confidence intervals and hypotheses testing will most likely relate to stats and appear on paper 2, but there are no guarantees!!
    This link contains all the notes for that topic if it isnt in your books. Answers are at the back.
    http://www.celticpress.ie/assets/files/20172-T&T3-Supplement.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement