Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! OL Maths 2015 predictions, discussion etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Algebra
    Functions/Graphing functions
    Differentiation
    Sequences + Series

Complex Numbers
    Arithmetic
    Area/ Volume

In general but they can be sneaky and ask little pieces of the other topics. For example equation of a tangent to a function requires you to know how to use equation of a line formula from co-ordinate geometry. In general though the above are the Paper 1 topics from the list you posted.
    Area & volume isn't on Paper 1, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Algebra
    Functions/Graphing functions
    Differentiation
    Sequences + Series

Complex Numbers
    Arithmetic
    Area/ Volume

In general but they can be sneaky and ask little pieces of the other topics. For example equation of a tangent to a function requires you to know how to use equation of a line formula from co-ordinate geometry. In general though the above are the Paper 1 topics from the list you posted.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Stooped wrote: »
    Area & volume isn't on Paper 1, no?

It IS IS IS on Paper 1. It's a topic that is split between papers. Don't mind anyone who tells you it isn't as it has come every year so far. Sometimes linked to Algebra, sometimes linked to Differentiation but it is there.
    2014 Q8 Area of a Square, Dimensions of a Box, Volume of a Box
    2013 Q2 Trapezoidal Rule
    2013 Q7 Volume of a Cylinder
    2012 Q9 Perimeter and Area of Rectangles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

It IS IS IS on Paper 1. It's a topic that is split between papers. Don't mind anyone who tells you it isn't as it has come every year so far. Sometimes linked to Algebra, sometimes linked to Differentiation but it is there.
    2014 Q8 Area of a Square, Dimensions of a Box, Volume of a Box
    2013 Q2 Trapezoidal Rule
    2013 Q7 Volume of a Cylinder
    2012 Q9 Perimeter and Area of Rectangles

2014 Q8 was a differentiation question involving maximum volumes of cuboids
    2013 Q2 was the trapezoidal rule and functions (I'll give you that one)
    2013 Q7 was a sequences question involving vessels filling at a constant rate
    2012 Q9 was an algebra and differentiation question

Most of these questions are long questions asking you to apply your understanding of algebra, sequences and differentiation to real life examples. In each of these years, there were also area and volume questions on paper 2, which didn't require the use of differentiation to answer and were more straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Cacking it for tomorrow. All I need is a D3. I'm taking hope in the fact I went into the mock having not done a tap of study for it and scraping a pass. I've been doing Maths daily for the past 2 weeks, so hopefully it'll get me that pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 morclc

Is there any topics from paper 2 that appear in paper 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 electromix

morclc wrote: »
    Is there any topics from paper 2 that appear in paper 1??

The philosophy of project maths is that topics can overlap, so you may see Paper 1 material on Paper 2 and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Good luck in paper 1 everyone, Just attempt absolutely everything even if you think it is not right and we should all get on okay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Dylan97

I need a c3 my self,and im weak im paper 2,but for paper two im predicting :
    Functions,simultaneous equations,complex numbers,financial maths,patterns,and functions,(maybe statistics too?)

just write some thing down every mark counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

Guys is Youngs rule or Clarke's rule gone. I've not seen it on the revision books??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

I should probably start studying...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Get a good 3hrs in! Be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

jgirl18 wrote: »
    Guys is Youngs rule or Clarke's rule gone. I've not seen it on the revision books??

I assume you're talking about a question that was on one of the past papers... The formula was given it was just a matter of knowing what to do with it really :o...

Looking forward to paper one, should be okay hopefully.... Need a c3 to get into my course and I only dropped to OL about 3 months ago :/

Someone asked for a Paper 2 thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Does anyone have notes or a source to get an idea of the new part of the course, the hypothesis testing? Missed it in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KatieGhomie

Thanks I asked for one,what is everyone focusing on for paper two? :) Any predictions???

Does anyone have notes or a source to get an idea of the new part of the course, the hypothesis testing? Missed it in class.

Whaaaat is hypothesis testing I will admit to everyone I am repeating maths this year to get a C because last year I got a D (don't laugh maths was my weakest subject in school) Can someone share any links to info regarding hypothesis testing is it difficult?Also is their anything else new on paper two?
    Thanks appreciate any help

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

Whaaaat is hypothesis testing I will admit to everyone I am repeating maths this year to get a C because last year I got a D (don't laugh maths was my weakest subject in school) Can someone share any links to info regarding hypothesis testing is it difficult?Also is their anything else new on paper two?
    Thanks appreciate any help

studyclix.ie/Content/markingscheme/7/7171d7fd-0aae-48f0-9c0c-f5f99897d338/7171d7fd-0aae-48f0-9c0c-f5f99897d338.pdf

What needs to be studied for statistics. Is it just p-hat and margin of error?

Oh god and again sorry but what is P hat? we didn't have that last year ohh god and is margin of error tough I came across it but finding it kinda tricky

Thanks for the link ohh god how do you do that ..into a calculator? ohh jesus I am getting worried that looks like honours **** to me that p hat stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah_97

Hi guys, what proofs and constructions do we need to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Hypothesis Testing:

H0 (zero is supposed to be small and lowered to ground of H, like an inverse H^0) = null hypothesis e.g. Coin not biased
    H1 = alternative hypothesis e.g. Coin is biased

2. Write down / calculate sample proportion (p -with an arrow on its head-)

3. Find margin of error (1/-root sign-n)

4. Write down confidence interval for p using:

sample proportion - margin of error < p < sample proportion + margin of error

5. If population proportion is within confidence interval, accept H0. If outside, reject H0 and accept H1.

EXPLANATIONS:
    A sample proportion is the number of targeted people examined. Let's say "the results of a survey finds that 112 of 400 households keep a condom in their sock", in this case the targeted people are 112, so the sample proportion is 112/400.

The sample size is total amount of people, which is 400 in the case of households that don't keep condoms in their socks. So sample size (n) = 400

The null hypothesis or H0 is the assumption or statement made, e.g. "KatieG spends 45% of her day in the closet".
    The alternative hypothesis or H1 is a change in null hypothesis, it shows that H0 is wrong e.g. "KatieG does not spend 45%....."

Apologies for not being clearer, LINK TO RESOURCE HERE: http://www.celticpress.ie/assets/files/20172-T&T3-Supplement.pdf .

Tet2015 wrote: »
    Hypothesis Testing:

H0 (zero is supposed to be small and lowered to ground of H, like an inverse H^0) = null hypothesis e.g. Coin not biased
    H1 = alternative hypothesis e.g. Coin is biased

2. Write down / calculate sample proportion (p -with an arrow on its head-)

3. Find margin of error (1/-root sign-n)

4. Write down confidence interval for p using:

sample proportion - margin of error < p < sample proportion + margin of error

5. If population proportion is within confidence interval, accept H0. If outside, reject H0 and accept H1.

Apologies for not being clearer, I'll take a photo of notes later and upload them here for view.

Thanks soo much and ahh that would be great if u can surprised my grinds teacher didn't do this with me only thing that sounds familar is margin of error but nothing else.Thanks again :)

Thanks soo much and ahh that would be great if u can surprised my grinds teacher didn't do this with me only thing that sounds familar is margin of error but nothing else.Thanks again :)

Updated post, check and np!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hooked96

My teacher has not covered any of the q6b all year. She said she went to some conference and they said there will be no choice in this question so she believes it wont be on the exam. A teacher from another school recently told me she 'must be crazy!'.
    I decided to go with my teacher and not even look at those exam questions. Now after that joke of a paper today, and with the fact that I am repeating at a grinds school and counting O maths, I am bricking it for monday :(
    What should I do? Has anyone else's teacher done the same? Should I trust her and not spend my valuable weekend cramming? :/
    Also, what is a p-value and is it examinable?
    Is the hypothesis testing the only new thing that can be examined this year?

Sorry for the long post, so confused as to where to even begin... :(

hooked96 wrote: »
    My teacher has not covered any of the q6b all year. She said she went to some conference and they said there will be no choice in this question so she believes it wont be on the exam. A teacher from another school recently told me she 'must be crazy!'.
    I decided to go with my teacher and not even look at those exam questions. Now after that joke of a paper today, and with the fact that I am repeating at a grinds school and counting O maths, I am bricking it for monday :(
    What should I do? Has anyone else's teacher done the same? Should I trust her and not spend my valuable weekend cramming? :/

Study hypothesis testing, it's really not that hard and you don't have to memorize anything apart from the confidence interval formula (but I think it's still in the log tables). All you really have to do is be able to identify what numbers represent sample size, sample proportion etc. and sub them into the formula. I've never heard of a p-value perhaps you mean a 'z score', if so I believe it refers to how far away the value is from the mean.

Best way to study maths is to practice. So practice and get started now.

There is no Q6B anymore, the Geometry will be somewhere on the Paper but it could be anywhere. There used to be a choice of 6A or 6B but that's gone. You go in and do all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hooked96

Tet2015 I understand the hypothesis testing and am not worried about that thanks for the help :)
    So skippy are you saying that a question like 2014 q6b WILL be on the paper, just that this year students will have no choice but will have to do it unlike 2014? :(
    Sorry for sounding impatient :/

Tet2015 I understand the hypothesis testing and am not worried about that thanks for the help :)
    So skippy are you saying that a question like 2014 q6b WILL be on the paper, just that this year students will have no choice but will have to do it unlike 2014? :(

Hi there, exactly. That was a geometry question and geometry is still being tested. Nothing has been dropped from the syllabus and you still need to know how to apply your theorems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

You don't know... the proof of a theorem doesnt have to come up either, they could just ask us to do both now, neither, or one or the other... no more choices and you MUST know everything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement