Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! OL Maths 2015 predictions, discussion etc

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Is the interquartile range the difference between the 3rd and 1st quarter?

The interquartile range is the upper quartile (3/4 of way into data) - lower quartile (1/4 of way into data)

EXTRAS:

• Standard deviation displays how much variatin there is from mean
    • Range is the largest value minus the lowest value (crude method as it only uses high and low value)
    • Percentile is data divided into 100 equal parts
    Outliers: Value that is either very high or low, hence not typical of values in data set. This has a singificant effect on the mean. E.g. 1, 2, 2, 3, 69, 2 4, 5

THE 3 AVERAGE SHEEP:

Mode: Most common value in a set of data

Mean: Most frequently used, 'average'

Median: Put numbers in order of size from smallest to largest, the median is middle number.

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Yeah you could do long division for it

I thought it was asking to be multiplied because of the 'x' sign ?! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Tet2015 wrote: »

Yeah but we didn't know what g(x) was so you brought it over to the other side so g(x) = long division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Tet2015 wrote: »

Yeah but the question was to find g(x).
    (2-3x) x g(x) gives 15x^2-22x+8

so g(x) could be found by dividing 15x^2-22x+8 by 2-3x

Yeah but we didn't know what g(x) was so you brought it over to the other side so g(x) = long division

I read it as : g(x) = 15x^2-22x+8, I thought it was actually one segment and that we just had to multiply to get x. I totally messed up that paper for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Any chance someone could send me on pictures of the DEB mock paper 2? I can return the favor with the examcraft mock if desired. Would be a huge help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

spl99 wrote: »
    Firstly, the the guy who posted the project maths link to using the calculator to answer standard deviation etc. Why the fudge do we not get shown that in school?! :O

Um you should be - I've shown all my students anyway, those that were listening :D;)

Oh and the guy is a gal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theLuggage wrote: »
    Oh and the guy is a gal! :)
    Welcome to the 'net, theLuggage, everyone is male until proven otherwise! :D

If you see spurious or rainbowtrout around, wave at them, they have the same problem (esp. RBT, as she teaches AgSci!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Lol! I was tempted to create a male alter ego but it wouldn't have matched some of my other posts! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

Ok how easy is it to fail maths paper 2. I actually despise probability. My mind does not function in that way. I don't care about it and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 raynbow

Since this is my first post, I can't directly link but for anyone looking for constructions last-minute, this website is super helpful!

projectmathshelp(.)ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/project_maths_help_constructions.pdf

Best of luck guys, by my reasoning the Dept. were well aware of what they were doing when they made these papers...If HL don't get a s.o.b of a paper (not that I'm wishing it for my past comrades!), and we don't get a beour of a paper tomorrow I'll be fairly surprised :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Welcome to the 'net, theLuggage, everyone is male until proven otherwise! :D

If you see spurious or rainbowtrout around, wave at them, they have the same problem (esp. RBT, as she teaches AgSci!)

Whaa? Spurious is a... girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

After paper 1 i'm really stressing for this can't figure the most basic of questions.... A B3 hopeful has turned into a 'if i pass' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Cheerios wrote: »
    Whaa? Spurious is a... girl?

If I had a euro for the amount of times we had to go over this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Im actually going to cry I feel so stressed..my friend informed me tonight that im screwed for p2
    confirming all my fears..never have i prayed so much just to pass a paper that i am in pass for!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nice friend!! :rolleyes:

Get some sleep, go in tomorrow, try to stay as calm as possible and attempt everything you can. The examiners will be looking for any excuse to give you marks, not to take them away. ;)

Any advice for trigonometry I've forgotten it all.

Kermin wrote: »
    Any advice for trigonometry I've forgotten it all.

Page 16 of your log tables has it all.

Its the application of the formula is a problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement