Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorthorn Cattle Vs Irish Moiled Cattle

Options
  • 27-05-2015 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

hey there fellow farmers,
    I come with a simple question. Which breed shorthorn or Irish Moiled would you keep to breed. The father and I are thinking about getting two cows to calf and then we would fatten both the cow and calf, we were thinking we would get a traditional breed of Ireland just for the sake of it. I'm saying Moiled the father says the opposite, any suggestions😃
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

padraigmck wrote: »
    hey there fellow farmers,
    I come with a simple question. Which breed shorthorn or Irish Moiled would you keep to breed. The father and I are thinking about getting two cows to calf and then we would fatten both the cow and calf, we were thinking we would get a traditional breed of Ireland just for the sake of it. I'm saying Moiled the father says the opposite, any suggestionsðŸ˜႒
    Thanks

Shorthorn a more commercial animal. Moile have lovely markings but you need to have something too that you can sell on. If you aim for a roan type the heifers sell really well the Bulls off either breed not so good especially the moile cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I like shorthorn myself but they are not a native Irish breed.
    Dexter could be another possibility but they are very small. I have two dexter steaks in the fridge to have for dinner tomorrow.

Advertisement