Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare Rooted Fruit Tree

Options
  • 27-05-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Bought some bare rooted fruit trees in Aldi & Lidl earlier in the year and seem to have had mixed fortunes with some growing fine, e.g. pears, but others seem to be dead from rootstock upwards but do seem to have suckers below the rootstock. primarily the plum trees.

Do I cut my losses on those sprouting below the rootstock or is there still a chance they may come good?

Thanks

OW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

The suckers will be the root stock and not the true tree you purchased, hope this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

So I'm assuming they should be shredded then?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

So I'm assuming they should be shredded then?

Yes to the shredding.I had a few .y sle a lot got going but a few where removed

OK thanks for that.

Just replace them with the two year old trees Aldi are selling this week I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

OK thanks for that.

Just replace them with the two year old trees Aldi are selling this week I guess!

I got 19 of those trees over the last 2 years I lost 2 of them . And both where my fault left them too long before planting.

• Advertisement

I've lost 4 from 10 so not a total disaster and as you mentioned there was a gap between buying and planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Hi all, here's an apple tree I got in Aldi last week. Planting it tomorrow, how much pruning do you think needs to be done on it? I've seen vids on YouTube and I'm guessing I'd have to remove all branches from the label down?

Advertisement