Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boipa - retail card processing - any experience?

Options
  • 27-05-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

HI All
    As it says in the title - really.

Background :-
    We currently use Worldpay for Credit Card processing in our little arts & crafts co-op shop down here in West Cork. We originally signed up with Streamline, who then were taken over by Worldpay. We are now paying a minimum of €60 per month - plus additional charges when the commission goes over €30. Their admin's in a mess, and they've just sent me an Arrears Demand for the grand sum of one cent - with various dire threats!

www.boipa.com looks attractive - spoke to them this morning, all sounds good - and we'd save about €20 / month...

Anybody got any experience of them - it's an alliance between Bank of Ireland and EVO payments...?

Thanks
    Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What are the numbers like? On their list they only list up to €8k/month if it only costs €82.99 for that then definitely looks a decent option if you're ATV is quite low. Is there a minimum term or anything else like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adrianglass

We're very much 'small fry' - and the €2k/month would cover us for a lot of the time. If you go over your monthly limit then they charge the 'excess' transactions at €0.22 / debit card and 2% / credit card - which would still work well for us.
    Our business is quite seasonal (busy June / July / Aug and December) and they're happy to switch you between rates on a per month basis - which would be good.
    Minimum term hasn't been mentioned - but they're emailing me the full t's & c's.

The Streamline deal was originally good for us - but then they introduced a minimum commission of €30 / month - which is expensive for us in the 'quiet' months...

Those are decent rates for the excess transactions still. Have you looked at SumUp? That is a flat rate of 1.95% per transaction might be a good option for you as there's no monthly fees. I use it as a back up device good system but customer service isn't the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adrianglass

The rates looked good.
    Apparently it's an 18-month contract - which isn't a problem to me.
    Worldpay just want 30 days notice / and have no cancellation fees.

The type of customers we have in the shop would (I think) not be keen to be typing their details into a smartphone-connected mini-terminal, and they do like to get the printed receipt - so I think we're stuck with 'conventional' terminals for the time being.

Doing the maths - we stand to halve our credit card processing costs by switching to the BOI offering - so I'm very tempted.. <g> We can 'up' the plan for the busy months and then reduce it again when it's quiet - to avoid the excess fees..

A quick email query to BOI was answered with an email & phone follow-up within 15 mins - which is encouraging.

Thanks
    Adrian

I thought that might be a problem too we have never had a single person say it in over two years using that sort of system we're in Dublin though so I guess attitudes maybe different towards that sort of thing. Its pretty much the same thing at the end of the day!

We've been looking at finding a new processor will definitely get in contact with them fed up with poor customer service!

• Advertisement
Advertisement