Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry lining to tapered ceiling.

Options
  • 27-05-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am planning to line the inside of my exterior walls with 72.5 mm insulated plasterboards.

My upstairs rooms have tapered / angled ceilings. They're not as extreme as in the image here but with 72.5 mm I will have to do something.

imag005.jpg

What is the norm? Do you fill / plaster above the board or try to cut the top of the board at an angle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Angle the back of the insulation to suit, scrim the joint and feather into the ceiling. Also cut the vertical corners at 45* - to stop cold bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Half my cottage is like your picture. As said above I angle the wall board top edge to butt reasonably closely to the ceiling boards. Scrimmed the joints and then the plasterer skimmed the whole thing.

There were a few spots where the gaps were more than say 5mm, my cottage has no straight walls. The plasterer used bonding to deal with these gaps.

Ony problem I have encountered is that the cottage gets so warm sometimes the plasterboard screws expand slightly and pop off a cap of skim on their tops.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

perhaps a better way than cutting corners at 45 is as follows:

In this case the slabs re 72.5 so remove a strip of the the plaster board on one slab say 75 mm from the edge.

Fit this board snug into the corner and seal any gaps with a small amount of expanded foam.
    Then fit the next slab into the corner, the plaster board will slot into the groove left by removing the plaster board on the fitted one.

One reason this is better is that you see what happens in the corner, cutting at 45 hides the actual fit.

If you have a handheld circular saw with a guide and a dust collector, cutting the pb strip off if very quick

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement