Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Build for My Son

Options
  • 27-05-2015 3:56pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok Guys,

My 14 year old son has asked me if I would teach him how to build his own PC and he wants a PC for Gaming.

I am just wondering which is the better route to go down in regards to the following:

Currently I have the following build:

CPU: i3 4130
    MB: ASRock H87 Pro4
    P/S: Corsair CX500
    Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    GPU: HIS 7850 IceQ X 2GB GDDR5
    HDD: 1TB WD Blue

I am not sure if I would be better upgrading my Rig (CPU and GPU) and donating them to his rig? Or buy him a new rig on the intel or amd route?

Budget for his PC is going to be around €500 if I only donate the GPU.
    Budget for his PC is going to be around €400 if I donate the GPU and CPU.

The budget will only need the following items:

Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    Case
    Power Supply
    HDD

I already have a DVD-RW and KB and Mouse for him and He will be using the PC on his 1080p TV.

So what are your recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you were to donate and upgrade, what would your budget to replace them be

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All depends on how much I actually spend on his but lets say the budget would be around €400 on top of the €400 for his.

Can set yourself up with an i5 and a GTX 960 for that, which would be a huge upgrade for you.

7850 would carry him for a good while, nothing in his budget would match it anyways.

Give us a minute I'll throw up two options

i3 4160
    MSI H81 P33
    Talman T4
    400w PSU
    750Ti
    1tb HDD
    8gb RAM.

Thats €500, full build. Strip 750Ti and add an SSD to run about €440 if you want to donate your GPU, as it is, its a little worse than what you're running

Otherwise, same as above but with your GPU and CPU, is only about €250 max.

You put 175 into an i5 4460 and 190 into a 960 with a discount.
    PC for him and sweet upgrade for you for about €600

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

i3 4160
    MSI H81 P33
    Talman T4
    400w PSU
    750Ti
    1tb HDD
    8gb RAM.

Thats €500, full build. Strip 750Ti and add an SSD to run about €440 if you want to donate your GPU, as it is, its a little worse than what you're running

Otherwise, same as above but with your GPU and CPU, is only about €250 max.

You put 175 into an i5 4460 and 190 into a 960 with a discount.
    PC for him and sweet upgrade for you for about €600

Excellent, the 400W would be enough for the 7850?

• Advertisement

I ran a 280x off one, which is basically a 7970, so it should do. Hit 450w then, not much price difference. Do you want links?

I ran a 280x off one, which is basically a 7970, so it should do. Hit 450w then, not much price difference. Do you want links?

Yeah if you dont mind throwing the links up i'd really appreciate it :)

Do you want the full build or upgrade one?

Well if the upgrade route is only 600 im gonna go that way :)

Item|Price
    MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2G 2GB GDDR5|€€ 214
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 178
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 1600|€€ 52
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 450W 7 - Bulk -|€€ 51
    Zalman T4 Mini-Tower - black mATX, without power supply|€€ 22
    MSI H81M-P33, mATX, base 1150|€€ 46
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€€ 50
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€630

Bloodbath has posted a link in the Bargain Alerts thread of this forum, to get cashback on a 960, €25 or so, might be worth a look.

You'll need a tube of thermal paste too.

• Advertisement

Thanks dude your a star, I have thermal paste already :)

OK a little update on this:

So far I have the following:

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
    2x640GB Sata HDD's
    Wireless KB/Mouse

Zalman T4 mini Tower and PSU (Got a sweet deal on a 750w) will be arriving next week.

So what I need now is the following:

Motherboard
    CPU
    GPU

Im just wondering if I should hold off for a little and see if the Broadwell Chips make the Haswell Chips go down in price?
    I might also have the money to Spunk on a 970 instead of a 960. Would it be worth the extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

jonny24ie wrote: »
    OK a little update on this:

So far I have the following:

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
    2x640GB Sata HDD's
    Wireless KB/Mouse

Zalman T4 mini Tower and PSU (Got a sweet deal on a 750w) will be arriving next week.

So what I need now is the following:

Motherboard
    CPU
    GPU

Im just wondering if I should hold off for a little and see if the Broadwell Chips make the Haswell Chips go down in price?
    I might also have the money to Spunk on a 970 instead of a 960. Would it be worth the extra?

Intel don't really roll like that. Now If the euro would stop sucking so hard you might see Chips return to pre sucky euro prices.

I personally think yes 970. you deserve it.blow your wad.

Intel don't really roll like that. Now If the euro would stop sucking so hard you might see Chips return to pre sucky euro prices.

I personally think yes 970. you deserve it.blow your wad.

I suppose, although I might know a friend working in Intel and see if they can get a decent price on a CPU for me :)

Hell I do deserve the 970, its about time someone treated me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I suppose, although I might know a friend working in Intel and see if they can get a decent price on a CPU for me :)

Hell I do deserve the 970, its about time someone treated me :D

If you do, they actually can get decent discounts.

incase you forgot.. cough.. fathers day cough..

If you do, they actually can get decent discounts.

incase you forgot.. cough.. fathers day cough..

When's fathers day? :O

Advertisement