Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fry Light Olive Oil Cooking Spray

• 27-05-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

I'm currently dieting so using the 1 cal fry light spray to cook with. I only just noticed today that it is actually 'extra virgin' olive oil in the bottle and it is encouraging use for frying, roasting and baking with.

I thought that you only used 'extra virgin olive oil' in salads as there is a chemical reaction in the cooking that makes it bad for you? I also thought that the regular olive oil was meant for cooking with.

Can anyone let me know if I should stop using this or have I been misinformed? Are there better products on the market? I need to avoid sunflower oil due to intolerants.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CK73

Tilly wrote: »

Thanks, I'll give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

i must admit i find this light oils give the food a strange taste compared with using normal olive oil, not sure if its my imagination or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think the 'extra virgin isn't suitable for cooking' myth was debunked a while back, I have no actual proof for you but I know I've read and heard convincing bits and pieces about how it doesn't decompose in heat to the same degree that other oils, like sunflower oil, do, making it more suitable (and apparently healthier) for cooking than many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zelda247 wrote: »
    i must admit i find this light oils give the food a strange taste compared with using normal olive oil, not sure if its my imagination or not.
    could be the other stuff in it.
    Ingredients

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (53%), Water, Alcohol, Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Flavouring, Thickener: Xanthan Gum
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274089279

there is another spray oil saying its coconut oil but contains only a little bit of coconut oil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement