Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in London

• 27-05-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am a 19 year old male student looking for work in London for the summer. If anyone out there can help me out please get in contact. I have experience in working in a bar. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

First worry is that if you don't have a National Insurance number (their version of the PPSN), you'll have to apply for it. Then it could take up to 6 weeks to actually get it, so you'd have no way of getting paid until then. Once you do get it your payment will be backdated.

You'd easily find work in a bar if you do have that but another worry is that accommodation anywhere withing zones 1-3 would be far too expensive for bar work.

Do you have any contacts that live over there that could have a word with any bars they frequent? You might be lucky enough to get cash-in-hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caoimghinmcl

callaway92 wrote: »
    First worry is that if you don't have a National Insurance number (their version of the PPSN), you'll have to apply for it. Then it could take up to 6 weeks to actually get it, so you'd have no way of getting paid until then. Once you do get it your payment will be backdated.

You'd easily find work in a bar if you do have that but another worry is that accommodation anywhere withing zones 1-3 would be far too expensive for bar work.

Do you have any contacts that live over there that could have a word with any bars they frequent? You might be lucky enough to get cash-in-hand?

Thanks for your reply, from what I understand you must live over there before you could apply for a national insurance number is that right?
    I have relatives over there so accommodation would not be a problem, just finding a bar is my problem! Do you live over there or have any contacts with pubs by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Look up a pub chain e.g J D Wetherspoon and you will see lots of jobs in London on their site, there are other pub chains, get going on it soon as a lot of European student come to London to work for the summer, Transport and accommodation is expensive, you will need a bank account set up to get paid and a NI number set up asap.

Applying from here is not a good idea, go over flights are cheap enough and just go round looking for wok its not really the sort of work you can set up before you go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

http://www.theship.co.uk/

Usually takes on a few Irish students over the summer, not sure if he has lads lined up already but might be worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 fizzylizzy

Don't worry too much about the NI number most places you would get work are well used this scenario, when myself and my friend moved over we got paid by both our jobs before we had our numbers but do make sure applying for it is the first thing you do.

If you're family are based in north london I'd say try the Crown in Cricklewood maybe for bar work, they're usually quite good for taking on irish in my experience

I am a 19 year old male student looking for work in London for the summer. If anyone out there can help me out please get in contact. I have experience in working in a bar. Thanks :)

By the way fair play to you for doing something instead of hanging around with no job and moaning about it for the summer and living off your parents.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Applying from here is not a good idea, go over flights are cheap enough and just go round looking for wok its not really the sort of work you can set up before you go over.

Thanks, think I will head over next week for a day and hope for the best! thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

fizzylizzy wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about the NI number most places you would get work are well used this scenario, when myself and my friend moved over we got paid by both our jobs before we had our numbers but do make sure applying for it is the first thing you do.

If you're family are based in north london I'd say try the Crown in Cricklewood maybe for bar work, they're usually quite good for taking on irish in my experience

Yes you don't need the number to get paid but they will tax you a lot until you get one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you have accommodation convenient to Islington Get off the tube at Angel and walk to Highbury Corner and on to Holloway Road. Plenty of bars and restaurants there. Likewise Finsbury Park to Highbury and Stoke Newington. Some have ads in the windows but even the ones that havent are worth a shot. You mightn't get 40 hours initially but it will work out. Stick in your application for a National Insurance number now as you might have to wait a few weeks for the appointment. Use the relative address. They can always change a utility bill in to your name for a while so you have a proof of address

Usually takes on a few Irish students over the summer, not sure if he has lads lined up already but might be worth a look[/quote]

Thanks a million, got a job in the ship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Usually takes on a few Irish students over the summer, not sure if he has lads lined up already but might be worth a look

Thanks a million, got a job in the ship![/QUOTE]

Congratulations. That pub's been on my list for a while, so I might pop in when I'm in London later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

Louche Lad wrote: »

Congratulations. That pub's been on my list for a while, so I might pop in when I'm in London later this month.[/QUOTE]

Ha fair play - so when can I come in for my finders fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Excellent, congrats. I will also pop in when over at some stage over the summer!

Congratulations. That pub's been on my list for a while, so I might pop in when I'm in London later this month.

Ha fair play - so when can I come in for my finders fee?[/QUOTE]

If you know which one I am then you can have a free pint ;)

Advertisement