Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally building my own rig

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I have the white H440. No problems with the paint job.

There is a 10 port fan controller at the back but no variable speed on it so any fans connected to it will be stuck at full speed without modding it or connecting it to a fan controller.

Airflow isn't great but can be improved with additional fans up top.

A Xeon and 970 shouldn't need great cooling anyway. Neither will produce much heat or noise.

You should be able to get it virtually silent if you mod that fan port to keep the fans at 7V instead of 12V.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Thanks for info guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

_

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Sorry about this question, but I'm a bit of a dummy as regards cpus!

Why should you go for a Xeon as opposed to an i7 4790K or even an i7 5820K?

I thought they were usually used for CAD apps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Donne wrote: »
    Sorry about this question, but I'm a bit of a dummy as regards cpus!

Why should you go for a Xeon as opposed to an i7 4790K or even an i7 5820K?

I thought they were usually used for CAD apps etc.

Price/Performace.
    Xeon can run at 3.8ghz you need a well watercooled i7 to hit the likes of 4.8ghz, so air cooled, you're looking at about 4.4-4.5ghz, which isnt worth an extra €150 for the performance gained.

The 5820k is will priced, but sucks up over €300 more of your budget as you need an X99 board and DDR4, so on budgeted builds, its OP

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anything about this promotion from HVS? http://www.hardwareversand.de/pc-zusammenbau-rabatt

From my understanding, if you get them to build the machine, yoiu get €10 back with a 970, €20 with a 980 and €50 with a Titan

You get the games with the cards anyways.

They charge €30 for building, so its a small discount on that

From my understanding, if you get them to build the machine, yoiu get €10 back with a 970, €20 with a 980 and €50 with a Titan

You get the games with the cards anyways.

They charge €30 for building, so its a small discount on that

Do codes for the games come inside the boxes for the cards?

No, you've to contact HWVS after you buy with a proof or purchase

Just made the order! I went with the Asus Z97-Pro Gamer motherboard as it turned out to be a little cheaper than the AsusRock with the discount, happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Just made the order! I went with the Asus Z97-Pro Gamer motherboard as it turned out to be a little cheaper than the AsusRock with the discount, happy days!

Brilliant, should be making my order on Friday. First comes the wait. Then assembly. I've the fear of god in me. :(

Here is a 20 euro voucher for HWVS you can use also, just create a new account and use it when making the order!!! https://www.gutscheinpony.de/gutscheine/hardwareversand#

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Here is a 20 euro voucher for HWVS you can use also, just create a new account and use it when making the order!!! https://www.gutscheinpony.de/gutscheine/hardwareversand#

Not ordering through them, but sound :cool:. Have a lad who gets a wholesalers discount who's buying things in for me. I can always use a discount on something else though!

Just to let you all know that my parts arrived today and my PC is built and ready! Currently downloading Far Cry 4 (32GB :O) and moving stuff onto my huge 2TB HDD. The SSD is zippy fast I booted earlier in less than 10 seconds!!! I can't wait to fully unleash the power of my rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Congrats. Yeah SSD's are great. Enable Fast Boot in the Bios to make it even faster or ultra fast boot if using windows 8.

Advertisement