Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United Ultras?

• 27-05-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

As a Galway fan myself and I go to every match. Galway really don't have any ultras why is this? We have such a big city but we have no ultras for a club like the rest of Loi teams I know they sing and have drums they don't seem to be friendly always seem to be miserable where's the flares and smoke bombs at? I know u can get fined for using them but that doesn't stop any other loi team from doing it? So what's stopping us ? Why can't we setup a proper ultra group?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

As a Galway fan myself and I go to every match. Galway really don't have any ultras why is this? We have such a big city but we have no ultras for a club like the rest of Loi teams I know they sing and have drums they don't seem to be friendly always seem to be miserable where's the flares and smoke bombs at? I know u can get fined for using them but that doesn't stop any other loi team from doing it? So what's stopping us ? Why can't we setup a proper ultra group?

Because its Ireland, not Eastern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Because its Ireland, not Eastern Europe.

Not being North West England or London doesn't seem to be an issue for most.

Just set up one yourself OP. You only need a handful of people.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Ultra culture to me seems to be the obsession of the very bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

anncoates wrote: »
    Not being North West England or London doesn't seem to be an issue for most.

Just set up one yourself OP. You only need a handful of people.
    ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's the difference between hooligans and ultras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What's the difference between hooligans and ultras?

Hooligans fight.

Ultras for the most part in Europe and the world organise displays including banners, flags, flares, etc... Do marches to the grounds, etc...

Google Holmesdale Fanatics, only group who've ever been able to do it properly in the Premier League in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Galway stopped competing in senior football for two years and are still re-establishing themselves as a club so it's not a huge surprise they don't have ultras. All the ultra-type groups that have been set up in Ireland have been started from a few like-minded people and just grew from there. The litigiousness of the FAI makes it practically impossible for clubs to actually support it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

BMMachine wrote: »
    Ultra culture to me seems to be the obsession of the very bored

How is creating a good atmosphere at games a sign of boredom?

No reason why Galway shouldn't have an ultras group, OP. Outside of Dublin, the likes of Cork and Drogheda do.

Maybe try contacting likeminded supporters through one of the LOI banter pages or another forum. You might get less retarded answers there than in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Do Bohs have ultras ?

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    Do Bohs have ultras ?

Yeah, the NBB.

As do Rovers, Shels, and Pats.

Even just do a general image search to see some displays from Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

So do UCD.

969670_647243698622908_1818035149_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=9f60feaea96798182db4b3a6c9af2310&oe=55F8BCB8&__gda__=1443487577_52b53e495d18d162dcb84ca6098dd449

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

So do UCD.

969670_647243698622908_1818035149_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=9f60feaea96798182db4b3a6c9af2310&oe=55F8BCB8&__gda__=1443487577_52b53e495d18d162dcb84ca6098dd449

Wouldn't want to cross that lad on the right. Looks like he means business.

How is creating a good atmosphere at games a sign of boredom?

thats fine. but the culture of intimidation and violence around them is awful. "not all ultras are violent" I hear you say. again true, but look at the above jokes about the UCD 'ultras' - jokes based on fear and violence. Its built into the Ultra psyche.
    I remember reading an interview with Ross Kemp and he was asked about which gangs he hated most and his answer was the Polish football gangs as they were dangerous and just a**holes. This is a man that has been in south african jail and met the gangs in there

I remember reading an interview with Ross Kemp and he was asked about which gangs he hated most and his answer was the Polish football gangs as they were dangerous and just a**holes. This is a man that has been in south african jail and met the gangs in there

European football groups are both hooligans and ultras. They make displays at matches, but they also organise fights outside and away from games.

If you think that ultras are based on fear and intimidation, then you are sorely misguided. Ultras are about creating a lively atmosphere at games, an atmosphere in stark contrast to that of Premier League matches. Groups like the SEI (Pats' group) have reputations not because of the fights they've been in, but because they create great atmospheres at their games. Incidents of mass brawls between opposition supporters in Ireland are few and far between; you see more violence at GAA club matches than you do at LOI games.

and what about groups like the Ultra Surs of Madrid who have big time fascist overtones? I have a hard time believing its all about atmosphere tbh. Its about intimidation and territory. They might as well all line up and piss a circle around the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There's clearly a misunderstanding about what ultras are and hooligans are.

and what about groups like the Ultra Surs of Madrid who have big time fascist overtones? I have a hard time believing its all about atmosphere tbh. Its about intimidation and territory. They might as well all line up and piss a circle around the stadium

Go educate yourself on the difference between Ultras and Hooligans before you talk sh*te about Ultra groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Go educate yourself on the difference between Ultras and Hooligans before you talk sh*te about Ultra groups.

I assume you are a member of one so? :P

Do you really know what you're talking about here? It doesn't come across that way.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I assume you are a member of one so? :P

I'm not actually, but I know a few people who are part of them, and I've been to a few games. The media love to talk crap about ultras, and refer to them wrongly as hooligans, when in reality the vast majority of ultras are ordinary guys who want a bit of atmosphere at games; not looking for scraps or violence at all.

It's very easy to miseducate yourself on this issue, because very few seem to know the real story about ultras and the media love to portray them as semi-criminal gangs who are hell bent on causing havoc at football matches. It annoys me when people like the guy above make assumptions about ultras, when I doubt he's even been to a match himself.

CSF wrote: »
    Do you really know what you're talking about here? It doesn't come across that way.

okay, so what are they about? To me it seems to be a form of communal identification and the individual identification within that. The communal being territorial as the football club would belong say to a particular area within a city or a town and its the "we are from here, we are proud of where we are from, heres how proud we are" and then of course within that there is the individual form of "Im part of this, this is part of who I am, I identify myself in these ways". Both these forms of identification are generally about pride both within and without and this kind of pride can lead easily to aggravation and intimidation, especially if that pride is confronted by rivals. Its all very primal and not dissimilar from monkeys and apes from which we are descended from.

That is essentially why I said its for the very bored. There is a big wide world out there filled with fascinating stories and events but still people prefer to be insular in nature and place far too much importance on their territory and identity within that. To me that is boring and small minded.

okay, so what are they about? To me it seems to be a form of communal identification and the individual identification within that. The communal being territorial as the football club would belong say to a particular area within a city or a town and its the "we are from here, we are proud of where we are from, heres how proud we are" and then of course within that there is the individual form of "Im part of this, this is part of who I am, I identify myself in these ways". Both these forms of identification are generally about pride both within and without and this kind of pride can lead easily to aggravation and intimidation, especially if that pride is confronted by rivals. Its all very primal and not dissimilar from monkeys and apes from which we are descended from

Evidence to back this up? Have you been to a LOI game? Have you seen riots, brawls, violent scenes at games?
    That is essentially why I said its for the very bored. There is a big wide world out there filled with fascinating stories and events but still people prefer to be insular in nature and place far too much importance on their territory and identity within that.

You do realise many of the members of the Ultra groups are friends with opposition members, yes? Groups also form partnerships with other groups from foreign countries too. Pats, for example, have an alliance with Ravenna from Italy, and they have a trip away each year. They also have alliances with Sheffield United and Hannover, and some of their fans were here last year at the cup final. How is that being insular at all?
    To me that is boring and small minded.

To call these fans 'small minded' is the height of hypocrisy. Have fun sitting on your barstool.

okay, so what are they about? To me it seems to be a form of communal identification and the individual identification within that. The communal being territorial as the football club would belong say to a particular area within a city or a town and its the "we are from here, we are proud of where we are from, heres how proud we are" and then of course within that there is the individual form of "Im part of this, this is part of who I am, I identify myself in these ways". Both these forms of identification are generally about pride both within and without and this kind of pride can lead easily to aggravation and intimidation, especially if that pride is confronted by rivals. Its all very primal and not dissimilar from monkeys and apes from which we are descended from.

That is essentially why I said its for the very bored. There is a big wide world out there filled with fascinating stories and events but still people prefer to be insular in nature and place far too much importance on their territory and identity within that. To me that is boring and small minded.
    And yet I'd be surprised if you weren't cheering for Ireland as much as the next person.

and there it is :) "barstool" etc.
    This just proves me exactly right. You identify in the ways I have described and have gotten aggravated and confrontational as a result. You have said you arent a member of an ultras group but your sympathies and mindset certainly align with them.
    To you, your identification lies in the nature of "I'm better than these Premier League fans and heres how" but I'm not altogether interested in that as its relatively common. Diehard rugby fans who hate football have the exact same psyche.

And yeah, I know ultras groups have affiliations and whatnot with others and yes, I've been to few LoI games and they were alright I suppose, enjoyable enough and yeah, I did notice intimidation and aggravation at them. Didn't see any violence... but do you honestly want evidence about football fans being violent?

oh, and if Im wrong, why the need to essentially call me a barstooler?
    CSF wrote:
    And yet I'd be surprised if you weren't cheering for Ireland as much as the next person.

Yeah I would. Same reasons I've outlined. Im from Ireland and am (relatively :p ) proud about it. I identify in this way. Its the degree and scope I give to that form of identification which is the difference mon amie

This just proves me exactly right. You identify in the ways I have described and have gotten aggravated and confrontational as a result. You have said you arent a member of an ultras group but your sympathies and mindset certainly align with them.
    To you, your identification lies in the nature of "I'm better than these Premier League fans and heres how" but I'm not altogether interested in that as its relatively common. Diehard rugby fans who hate football have the exact same psyche.

And yeah, I know ultras groups have affiliations and whatnot with others and yes, I've been to few LoI games and they were alright I suppose, enjoyable enough and yeah, I did notice intimidation and aggravation at them. Didn't see any violence... but do you honestly want evidence about football fans being violent?

Nobody said there wasn't violence at football games. Hooliganism exists, but hooligan and ultra are not synonymous words.

Is there a correlation? Yes, but I could provide you with countless other examples of completely different groups of people where there are correlations without the 2 groups being all that similar, and in a large number of them it wouldn't be acceptable to make the sweeping generalisations that you are.

No, and I imagine you have plenty of links at the ready.

And I called you a barstooler because if you actually went to games you'd realise that ultras aren't half as bad as you seem to think they are.

If you knew that they have alliances and friendships with members of rival groups, then why did you call them 'insular'?

Yeah I would. Same reasons I've outlined. Im from Ireland and am (relatively :p ) proud about it. I identify in this way. Its the degree and scope I give to that form of identification which is the difference mon amie

And hour assumption that the degree and scope that you give to it is automatically correct is making you look extremely silly. You're coming off extremely badly in this thread.

The mindset is insular. The mindset can be shared by many people across many countries.

So you called me a barstooler (is that an insult or is this just an accepted thing on the forum, like trolling on the humour thread) in order to make a point about what exactly? not going to football matches of teams I don't care about? They aren't as bad as you think I think they are :) but that doesn't stop them being ultimately intimidating to others. And that form of intimidation is based in the very nature of our being, it is tribalism and what is the point of outward displays if not to intimidate?
    And hour assumption that the degree and scope that you give to it is automatically correct is making you look extremely silly. You're coming off extremely badly in this thread.

the assumption must be pretty close to the bone then to garner that amount negativity from people who feel insulted about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

This is the problem with LOI fans. Its what made foot.ie a joke. Anything critical and the get ultra defensive and start blaming "barstoolers" and claim they do not know what they are talking about. Because you go to LOI matches does not make you a football messiah. Why do LOI fans obsess that it does make them superior?

But anyway I dont think Deacy Park will be overrun by gun toters, neo-nazis, fascists, rioters, violence, assault or any of the other problems found in Slavic or Italian countries if they did establish ultras. Sweet fück a reality check is needed for those thinking it will lead to Deacy Park becoming a crime haven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm a Galway United Ultra.
    I've been to one game this season so I'm not what you'd call active though.
    Ara.
    Fraud.

This is the problem with LOI fans. Its what made foot.ie a joke. Anything critical and the get ultra defensive and start blaming "barstoolers" and claim they do not know what they are talking about. Because you go to LOI matches does not make you a football messiah. Why do LOI fans obsess that it does make them superior?

But anyway I dont think Deacy Park will be overrun by gun toters, neo-nazis, fascists, rioters, violence, assault or any of the other problems found in Slavic or Italian countries if they did establish ultras. Sweet fück a reality check is needed for those thinking it will lead to Deacy Park becoming a crime haven.
    But the guy doesn't know what he is talking about. That has been blatantly apparent. He has taken 2 completely different things and lumped them together at one to suit his agenda.

There's clearly a misunderstanding about what ultras are and hooligans are.

There's a clearly a misunderstanding about what live football games are, let alone ultras.

It doesn't make them superior at all. But when people like BM Machine talk sh*t about ultra groups and LOI fans, without being fully educated on the subject that annoys me. As I said before, the media loves to portray football fans in a bad light, which is how misguided opinions are formed. If you actually go to LOI matches, you'll see what the atmosphere is really like, but instead people prefer to sit on their 'barstool', talk sh*te about ultra groups and compare them to hooligans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

It doesn't make them superior at all. But when people like BMM Machine talk sh*t about ultra groups and LOI fans, without being fully educated on the subject that annoys me. As I said before, the media loves to portray football fans in a bad light, which is how misguided opinions are formed. If you actually go to LOI matches, you'll see what the atmosphere is really like, but instead people prefer to sit on their 'barstool', talk sh*te about ultra groups and compare them to hooligans.

That attitude doesn't help when ya go to petty name calling. If someone is dense enough to think Galway United having an Ultra group will lead to a massive spike in crime at the stadium/club they are clearly a bit gullible/daft/stirring. The ultra defensive LOI default response is also farcically childish.

• Advertisement

But the guy doesn't know what he is talking about. That has been blatantly apparent. He has taken 2 completely different things and lumped them together at one to suit his agenda.

what is my agenda? just because you feel like im potentially insulting your values by describing pretty much exactly the mindset of those organisation doesn't mean I have an agenda. Ultra's aren't all lollipops and rainbows and good things for football or culture. There are multiple sides to everything, you'd do well to remember that.

what is my agenda? just because you feel like im potentially insulting your values by describing pretty much exactly the mindset of those organisation doesn't mean I have an agenda. Ultra's aren't all lollipops and rainbows and good things for football or culture. There are multiple sides to everything, you'd do well to remember that.
    I never said there wasn't. I never said all ultras are great, all ultras are terrible or any of the sweeping statements that you've been ignorantly making on this thread.

It doesn't make them superior at all. But when people like BM Machine talk sh*t about ultra groups and LOI fans, without being fully educated on the subject that annoys me. As I said before, the media loves to portray football fans in a bad light, which is how misguided opinions are formed. If you actually go to LOI matches, you'll see what the atmosphere is really like, but instead people prefer to sit on their 'barstool', talk sh*te about ultra groups and compare them to hooligans.

yeah well done. we obviously have no idea what we are talking about and because your sensibilities and values are being put into question it means we are all sh*t talkers with no education on the subject.

so you resort to veiled insults and smugness, an outward display of intimidation... oh look I'm right. fancy that

If ultras groups were part of the Premier League culture the antipathy would immediately stop here.

You'd probably get curves and tifo in suburban beer gardens.

No. You were criticising something you haven't a clue about. You think you know 'the mindset' of ultra groups, but really you're just gazing from afar, and making ridiculous claims without any evidence.

• Advertisement

yeah well done. we obviously have no idea what we are talking about and because your sensibilities and values are being put into question it means we are all sh*t talkers with no education on the subject.

so you resort to veiled insults and smugness, an outward display of intimidation... oh look I'm right. fancy that
    Where is the we? People are talking about you, not some subset that you're part of.

I never said there wasn't. I never said all ultras are great, all ultras are terrible or any of the sweeping statements that you've been ignorantly making on this thread.

sweeping? I think the only one is that the mentality is one for the very bored. I still stand by that as football identification should be a small part of anyones life when put next to the broader world

sweeping? I think the only one is that the mentality is one for the very bored. I still stand by that as football identification should be a small part of anyones life when put next to the broader world
    And how many ultras do you know on a personal level to make this sweeping statement about their football pasttime compared to the rest of their lives?

And how is it not for ultras? Do you know any members of ultra groups? The ones that I know have far more going on in their lives than just football, so stop making sweeping generalisations about people you do not know.

Where is the we? People are talking about you, not some subset that you're part of.

the "we" was in the context of who mandarin was referring to. I believe he calls them barstoolers or something
    mandarin wrote:
    No. You were criticising something you haven't a clue about. You think you know 'the mindset' of ultra groups, but really you're just gazing from afar, and making ridiculous claims without any evidence.

and sorry, but yeah I do actually know a good bit about sociology and football supporting groups. sorry if its getting in your craw that it doesnt agree with your values and what you think. Maybe if you prove me exactly right again with more intimidating gestures and outward displays of passion I'll be wrong :)

the "we" was in the context of who mandarin was referring to. I believe he calls them barstoolers or something

and sorry, but yeah I do actually know a good bit about sociology and football supporting groups. sorry if its getting in your craw that it doesnt agree with your values and what you think. Maybe if you prove me exactly right again with more intimidating gestures and outward displays of passion I'll be wrong :)
    Ok then, tell me about the ultras you know and their lives outside of a football match on a weekend. Because you're coming across as knowing ****all.

Really? And where have you attained this vast knowledge of sociology and the psyche of football fans?

And how many ultras do you know on a personal level to make this sweeping statement about their football pasttime compared to the rest of their lives?

oh you have to know them personally do you? go out on the town with them, wine and dine them, sneaky handjob in the jacks...

Or.... I could have met people like that, well, met a few from various places and they all share the same values and mindset. Similar enough people, just dressed up and look different but they generally would think the same. Sorry if I'm interfering with how you guys identify (word of the thread) yourselves, when someone comes a long and disrupts that identity and that mindset then it can be quite disturbing. Take rival groups of baboons in Zimbabwe that kill others that dont belong in their pride

I like William Blakes quote on it though,
    If you tie a red ribbon to the leg of a sea-gull the other gulls will pick it to death.

oh you have to know them personally do you? go out on the town with them, wine and dine them, sneaky handjob in the jacks...

Or.... I could have met people like that, well, met a few from various places and they all share the same values and mindset. Similar enough people, just dressed up and look different but they generally would think the same. Sorry if I'm interfering with how you guys identify (word of the thread) yourselves, when someone comes a long and disrupts that identity and that mindset then it can be quite disturbing. Take rival groups of baboons in Zimbabwe that kill others that dont belong in their pride

I like William Blakes quote on it though,
    If you tie a red ribbon to the leg of a sea-gull the other gulls will pick it to death.
    Well to make a comment about the boring lives of people I would have assumed you would have an insight into the lives of these people.

Really? And where have you attained this vast knowledge of sociology and the psyche of football fans?

college, reading, watching, analysing, studying. I have an interest in football, I have an interest in football, I've studied sociology, the two crossed paths many times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement