Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Stress

Options
  • 27-05-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Everyone!
    I am sitting my junior cert one week from now. I am really stressed about it as I felt I have left study way too late. I really have been trying its just so difficult with all the subjects! I am aiming to get my grades a grade higher than in my mock. I got 5 d's 2c's 2 b's and an A! I only properly started studying about 3 weeks ago.. I do 2 hours in school then come home to do about one hour. Please give me advice!

And Predictions for History? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will do better than you think. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't leave your folks out of the loop if you are stressed. It's good to talk. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time for your exams, with all your equipment. Leave your phone at home.

You have been doing your homework and by listening in class, you've been studying for years.
    Make sure to do the required number of questions, to answer the question you are asked and to try not to leave blanks. Correctors can't give marks for unattempted questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emilyem123

spurious wrote: »
    Make sure you arrive in plenty of time for your exams, with all your equipment. Leave your phone at home.

You have been doing your homework and by listening in class, you've been studying for years.
    Make sure to do the required number of questions, to answer the question you are asked and to try not to leave blanks. Correctors can't give marks for unattempted questions.

Thank you so much you've made me feel so much better about the whole situation! Have I left the study to late?

Not at all. You could maybe look over a few people in history and remember a few points on each. You don't need to write big essays for the People in History questions, just make out your points.

Examiners don't want to hear about Michelangelo breaking some guy's nose, but name a few of his works and you will get marks.

Don't forget, you can sometimes get information for one answer on a paper out of other questions. The JC as an exam is designed to give you the most marks possible. Believe me, it will be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Trowlens

Do examiners mark students down if they come after a really good paper?. For example a really smart student in my year has his exam number before mine we are in the same exam center too. Does this mean that he will be corrected before me and if so will I be marked harder as his was better than mine?

Trowlens wrote: »
    Do examiners mark students down if they come after a really good paper?. For example a really smart student in my year has his exam number before mine we are in the same exam center too. Does this mean that he will be corrected before me and if so will I be marked harder as his was better than mine?

No. Everyone gets marked according to the marking scheme.

If he has the number before you, he will be corrected before you but that won't change your mark.

If, say, there are 2 marks going for naming works by an artist (Michelangelo) and the guy before you puts down two really obscure titles and names them in Italian and gives the address of the museum they are in, he will get no more marks that you if you put down 'Michelangelo did a statue called the Pieta and painted the ceiling of the Sistine chapel'.

The 'better' candidate can't get more marks than are going for a particular answer and likewise, if you have the answer, you will get the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Trowlens

Thank you for your response, I was really worried I thought that an examiner would mark me harder because our answers would be similar and if he saw similar answers he wouldn't think highly of them and then hence mark mine down or harder.

Trowlens wrote: »
    Thank you for your response, I was really worried I thought that an examiner would mark me harder because our answers would be similar and if he saw similar answers he wouldn't think highly of them and then hence mark mine down or harder.

No you're OK. Your paper is considered on its own merits.

A similar rumour does the rounds among LC students who don't attend schools, but grinds businesses, where they think if they register to do the exam in what they consider a school where people will not perform well, that their exams will get marked differently to how they would be elsewhere. It's not true.

Advertisement