Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr. Robot-USA Network-US Pace(**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I didn't mind the start but it did drag on far longer than it needed to be, the points were made and quickly understood what was going on but it didn't need to be 15 minutes long.

That being said they did do a good job recreating that kind of sitcom, reminded me of Married With Children more than Alf :pac:

I'm still very much enjoying the show but it has gotten a bit slower as this season progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

For a show about a guy hacking, he's not doing much! Anglea is doing more than he is this season :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Who didn't see the Alf / Mr. Robot crossover coming since season one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

2 minutes of the 80's stuff would have sufficed. 15 minutes was beyond ridiculous. Decent episode outside of that.

Thought they were building up to something at the end when they rewinded to his childhood but it was a bit of a nothing too.

Hadn't copped that it was darlene's fella that gave the CD to Angela in series 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The 80's sitcom stuff was 10 minutes too long otherwise a decent episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

That 80's stuff was just awful. The show has really lost its way this season. I know it's building up to something good in the end but its been hard viewing compared to season 1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Reminds me a little of the episode with the (drug induced) dream in Season 1 and while I happened to actually like that I think a lot less people would have complained if it had just been shorter. The episode as a whole was really good though in my opinion and after a slow first few episodes the last few have finally started to pick up a bit of pace with the story developing more.

The placing of the wifi device and battery under the desk is too much of a reach too. How would no one notice that much tech suddenly appearring??? In an FBI office!

In an FBI office!

It's not an FBI office. It's an office the FBI are currently in during an investigation.

Ah come on now.. You would expect a standard of observation from FBI staff, in fact you would expect a higher level since they wouldn't have the same level of physical security (which is proven by the fact that she can saunter in and place is without anyone actually getting proof of identity). That scene just seemed too convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

That 80's stuff was just awful. The show has really lost its way this season. I know it's building up to something good in the end but its been hard viewing compared to season 1.

Have to agree. And that canned laughter was doing my head in.

Final straw, Alf appearing. I'll give it one more episode before I give up.

Not a patch on Season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Fair play to the person here who called it a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gizmodo's headline about this week's episode made me laugh.

Mr. Robot Just Found the Shark, Jumped Over It, and Then Did the Macarena on All Our Good Graces

(They weren't happy)

Wow, just watched it. Mind blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ok. So Ray and the whole website thing was real somehow?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ok. So Ray and the whole website thing was real somehow?

Ray was a security guard running a site
    http://www.slashfilm.com/mr-robot-season-2-twist-explained/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I dunno how to feel about that twist. It's all a bit meh.

I can't deal with anymore Angela screentime.

Turns out Ray is based on one of the people involved in Silk Road was a prison warden
    https://www.deepdotweb.com/2015/02/28/silk-road-mod-ssbd-peter-nash-in-plea-talks/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I guess I didn't really try too hard to figure it out but did think there might be a twist based off his routine going back to episode 1 and all his meals with Leon ( obviously throw The basketball and group etc in too now). Thankfully I've read from Esmail that we will find out some of what happened to him when he was in there and I assume although it wasn't mentioned how he ended up in there in the second half of the season although for now it seems like he is getting out soon. This was the internal struggle within Elliot playing out on screen for us with a very interesting Silk road style side plot (which im sure will be further padded out for people - i.e Ray being a guard) helping him to get there. It also fully explains his isolation from the rest of the cast and why Darlene (who he could only contact through Ray's computer outside of visitation) was running things while only rarely visiting him.

The moment the end of the show and the reveal came I was not 100% sure how much I liked it but the longer since then and the more it fits for me and I appreciate it. This is a very interesting show because it may not always take us where we want it to go but it perhaps it will go where it needs to to keep being the show that even though it may occasionally frustrate (the slow start to the season) will keep me very intrigued and interested in the world it is showing me.

I guess the whole Tyrell thing could be the next "Twist", doubt anyone is buying that Mr Robot killed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I dunno how to feel about that twist. It's all a bit meh.

I can't deal with anymore Angela screentime.

Yes I really do not like this charactor at all. It's just so unemotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mr E wrote: »
    Gizmodo's headline about this week's episode made me laugh.

Mr. Robot Just Found the Shark, Jumped Over It, and Then Did the Macarena on All Our Good Graces

(They weren't happy)
    I read the review yesterday and at first I agreed with it to a large extent. But having thought about it, I wouldn't say the show as fully jumped the shark yet - I think it's only fair to wait for the season to end before making that call in a show such as this.

What I will agree with is that I no longer trust the show and to an extent Esmail. I think the part of that article that rings the most true and resonates the strongest with me is this point:
    But Mr. Robot lied to us last season and then asked for our trust, only to lie to us again. That works in a two-hour movie like Fight Club or American Psycho. Or in a book like... Fight Club or American Psycho. Those stories have definitive end points. The truth is ultimately revealed or we are allowed to come to our own conclusions, safely apart from the story.

That does not work in serial television. You have to willingly invest in the lives of these characters for years of your own time. You invite them into your home each week and began to empathize with them on a level far apart from any you might experience with the characters of a novel or film. Ultimately you have to trust in a serial tv character in a way you never would any other kind.

And Mr. Robot has now broken that trust repeatedly. Which means Tyrell might not be dead (can’t trust Mr. Robot). Shayla might not be dead (can’t trust Elliot). The entire fascinating cyber spy plot might not exist (can’t trust the show). Everything we’ve enjoyed over the last season and a half might just be Elliot’s fevered scribbles in a journal destined to be burned in a prison courtyard.

And that is infuriating. I want to invest in these characters. Not learn that an autistic boy conjured them out of a snow globe or a Bob Newhart or Pam Ewing dreamt them up after a late night fondue gorging.

If any more characters aren't real or they pull this dream/vision/pretend bait-and-switch again, then (and IMO only then) can you definitively pull back and point to episode 7 as the point where the show jumped the shark. Unfortunately, as I said, I now have a seed of distrust for Esmail that this is becoming a theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Theres only so much crap that can be taken,this show if it wasnt for hacks and realistic portray of current technology,wouldn't made it past s1.
    This whole tripping,double-treble personality imagination-twisted tyrells wife,bold guy with Angela seems hes gonna ride her or vise versa at some point,dark army i imagine thats tranny ?
    Tyrell sending mobile phone to his wife and giving a buzz to elliot ?while he was in jail,whole economy colapse and yet feels like business as usual.
    Then plot with planting cell receivers,when imagine wire could be found somewhere in mid building to splice in.

Anyway show is just all over the place seems writers just throw any idea they come up with and roll with it,elliot in prison,seems could been his psych on the end of season 1 when other guy explained her that he was behind her,and him hacking them.

While theres not really much to watch atm,and show has its own bonus scenes,but this autistic grim scenario is way out of line with little to none sense as each episodes passes,just to see some crappy conclusion.

scamalert wrote: »
    Theres only so much crap that can be taken,this show if it wasnt for hacks and realistic portray of current technology,wouldn't made it past s1.
    That's just not true. I know plenty of people watching it who have zero interest in the tech/hack angle. The show is Elliot's journey and the tech is one of his tools along the way. It's not a hacking show - it's a show with hacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well hope we can agree its just my personal opinion,but they slide in a lot of tech stuff into it,even in last episode he says will you do handshake with me,or was it two way handshake etc.Basically meaning to connect with each other-as in network devices authenticate,and many other one sentence tips like kernel,init1 etc that for regular person wouldnt mean much but on tech side-its sort of applies to people state of functioning.

But that aside theres little story to elliot since whatever hes suffering with or his past/path is ,its just big mess.sort of show where you watch it and forget it,since most likely if you were to watch it again you'll skip most of the hallucination parts for ones sanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This week's episode was pretty decent. It was nice to have a break from Elliot's bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Yeah it was the strongest of the season so far.

Don't think it's a good sign when the best episode is one without your main character, though.

Advertisement