Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr. Robot-USA Network-US Pace(**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

YES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

“I’m just a brave traveller who has finally come home”

Can’t wait!

YOU ABSOLUTE ****ING BASTARDS!

**** me.
    They totally got me.

The episode just pulled me down and then the end just felt like a gut punch.
    AND THEN IT WASN'T.. OH My Brain!

Anyone else notice the freeze frame in the middle of the episode with Angela?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Great episode. So glad it’s back. Wasn’t expecting *that* in the first 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What a crazy episode.
    I guess all the rumours about Portia Doubledays falling out with Rami Malek after their break up is true

Also
    Nice little cameo from Sam Esmail at the end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Strong opener. I loved how the "Previously on..." cleanly led into new footage. Strong directing in many places, such as when wandering around the apartment or the footage of the security cameras being panned over when they went to meet the "contact".

As to that bit in the opening, I did LOL at this from Reddit:
    18 hours ago
    The way they fake ended it blew my mind
    Mr_Voltiac

Gold3
    The way it began blew Angela’s

Nice little cameo from Sam Esmail at the end.

:eek: Strong performance too!
    Can't say I remember seeing him before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

^^ Had no idea that was
    the shows creator
    , makes sense now
    when he said "good bye friend"

Great opener, hope it continues that way.

I don't know if it was brought up before, but I like how they do a lot of close up camera work off center of the actors face. I don't know if it is a rule of thirds thing or not.

Edit: I googled, apparently it is :D

^^ Had no idea that was
    the shows creator
    , makes sense now
    when he said "good bye friend"

Great opener, hope it continues that way.

I don't know if it was brought up before, but I like how they do a lot of close up camera work off center of the actors face. I don't know if it is a rule of thirds thing or not.

Edit: I googled, apparently it is :D

Yeah it’s the rule of thirds alright, the cinematography of the show was something that gripped me straight away when I first watched it, seems more out there this season which I love already.

Also worth watching Homecoming, it’s an Amazon show that came out earlier this year I think. Sam Esmail was a producer on it and you can really see his influence throughout.

• Advertisement

Sam Esmail was a producer on it and you can really see his influence throughout.
    He directed all ten episodes. There's some great long shots in that too.

People pointed out that the camera work was more kinetic in this episode than normal, which is true - often he'd frame a scene by having a camera (artfully) placed in just a couple of places but it roved a lot more here, adding to the tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Ardent

I never got around to watching season 3. Is it worth checking out?

Ardent wrote: »
    Yep. A big improvement on the second season I felt.

Ardent wrote: »

My favourite personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Only realized that the finale scenes of the season 3 continued into the opening of season 4. Man that was brutal what happened only after a few minutes he told her he was her father. https://youtu.be/bnuAhaUeJaM

4.2: Hold on.. who? Another personality? Not Tyrell .. surely?

Slydice wrote: »

Don't think its Tyrell as he's been referred to by his name along with having his wife. But we might finally figure out what happened for those 2 days when Elliot blacked out in the car along with where he was for 5/9.

Seems like the third characters been in the show all along, making very subtle appearances that we mightn't have noticed. Sam Esmail did an interview and said this..
    THR: Obviously, but how long have you been playing with the idea that there's more to the picture than just Elliot and Mr. Robot?

Sam: From the beginning.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-final-season-episode-two-explained-sam-esmail-shocking-twist-1245859

Great answer! Now I NEED TO KNOW! :D

WTF

Sums that reveal up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Slydice wrote: »
    With this show you have to question everything. In the very first episode Elliot tells us that he imagines that the 'E' in E Corp stands for EVIL and afterwards that is what we see and hear. Everything we have seen is filtered through him. Telling the difference between what is real and what is a delusion is difficult on first viewing.

There have been some hints throughout the series that we don't have the full picture with regard to Elliot. In the first episode of the series he was paranoid about being followed by MIB, his psychologist spoke about it being a delusion. It turned out that the MIB were real and brought him to E Corp and Tyrell Wellick after Terry Colby was detained by the FBI. This would suggest that Tyrell is not another personality. The "Bon soir Elliot" line always struck me as some kind of key phrase from Tyrell, if Elliot provides the appropriate response then Tyrell knows he's dealing with the real Elliot, not our Elliot.

Our Elliott is incomplete - for example in the first series he didn't know Darlene was his sister. In the same series Angela also said he wasn't the real Elliott. I think that it may not only be our Elliott who talks to us as 'a friend', but also the real Elliott talking to our Elliott as 'a friend'.

• Advertisement

I started to rewatch the series from the beginning after the 402 revelation and - the early sequences with the mother and child are not memories but other alters.

In S01E03, Elliot decided to be normal:

"I'm gonna be more normal now.
    Maybe Shayla could even be my girlfriend.
    I'll go see those stupid Marvel movies with her.
    I'll join a gym.
    I'll heart things on Instagram.
    I'll drink vanilla lattes.
    I'm gonna lead a bug-free life from now on.
    Anything to protect my perfect maze."

He attends Gideon's dinner party with Shayla and appears to be enjoying the evening when the news broke about Tery Colby being linked to the Washington Township scandal.

"I didn't think it existed, but there it was, is. Mr. Robot finally found my bug."

Elliot leaves Gideon's home and we see the mother and child pair sitting at the bus stop. I always assumed the conversation was about Elliot's father because the news item is referring to the leukemia victims.

oAIfhRi.jpg

Mom: "Don't look so sad. He did this to himself. He gave in. He was a coward. He was weak and pathetic, and, in the end, that's what killed your father."
    Child: "Why are you crying?"
    Mom: "Don't ask so many questions."
    Child: "I miss him."
    Mom: "There's no point to that."
    Child: "But I do."
    Mom: "Then you're just as weak as him."
    Child: "You're not sad?"
    Mom: "Why should I be? It's a beautiful night. The weather is nice. And I'm enjoying my cigarette."

A bus arrives and departs revealing hooded Elliot.

sFNZWRz.jpg

Elliot: "The bug forces the software to adapt, evolving something new because of it. Work around it or work through it No matter what, it changes, it becomes something new, the next version, the inevitable upgrade."

The mom was talking about our Elliot being weak. The hooded Elliot is the upgraded Elliot who goes back to the arcade - I think it's the version that Tyrell Wellick later considered a god.

What's the significance of 11:16? There may be other references in the series but I distinctly remembered it was the time on the tv when Elliot was shot in season 2.

S04E03:

The Whiterose origin story circa 1982
    txVb4c4.jpg

The dress in 2015
    H1CR6kn.jpg

S02E12:

TV segment after Elliot was shot
    aDIoAtM.jpg

4.3: That was a damn fine episode (bar the unencrypted hard disk). Real uplifting relationship moment and a nice clencher at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

4.4 That was a strange episode. Maybe there was hidden detail in there that went over my head but I’m just confused after watching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I got very strong pine barrens vibes from that episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Shane St. wrote: »

I love the fact the time posted on your reply is 4:04

and yes I also got that feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

4.4 That was a strange episode. Maybe there was hidden detail in there that went over my head but I’m just confused after watching that.

Yeah, not sure what to make of that episode, at all. Got a good laugh out of Carly Chaikin, anyway. Especially at the start when she was leaving a message for Elliot.

4.4: Such a sad feeling ending.

The writing and directing is blowing it out of the water here. There were ups, downs, shocks, sads and more in this episode.

https://twitter.com/Glo_Reuben/status/1189029695829921793

Shane St. wrote: »
    I was thinking more David Lynch (Lost Highway / Twin Peaks). A very dreamy episode, a nightmare before Christmas in time for Halloween.

If Tyrell Wellick is dead then does that mean Whiterose's timeline for the project is kaput?

I think we got another glimpse of the other alter in the scene where Elliot walked off from Tyrell and Mr. Robot.

Mr. Robot: "Come on. You stay out here alone, you can be sure it's game over. You're better than this."
    Wellick: "Yeah, maybe I was, but not anymore."
    ELLIOT: "I'm going."
    Wellick: "Yeah, go, Elliot."
    ELLIOT: "I will."
    Wellick: "Yeah, good. 'Cause you don't need me. You never needed me. That's the truth, right?"
    ELLIOT: "Yeah, that's the truth, I never ****ing needed you! You were only in the way! If it weren't for you ..."
    Wellick: "The world would've been saved? And you would have been the savior? Is that what you think? Is that the fantasy I ruined for you?"
    ELLIOT: "Stay here, die! I don't give a **** about you! I'm done!"
    (Elliot walks off)
    Wellick: "Good! Look around you! All signs lead to the same hopeless destination, and the sooner you realize that, the better, for you're so much in your own head that you can't see the truth! That it's over!"
    Mr. Robot (voice-over): "Seems like we're always thinking of ourselves when looking for something that's lost, but we never think much about the lost, whatever, whoever is unable to be found, whether it's a set of keys left somewhere and forgotten, a couple of guys wandering aimlessly in the woods, or someone who's disappeared inside himself. What if that's what they wanted all along? Not to be found."
    (Elliot returns to Wellick)
    Elliot: "You're wrong. I don't like being an outsider either. Maybe I'm just good at hiding it."
    Wellick: "Why'd you come back? Why aren't you going?"
    Elliot: "I don't know. I guess it felt wrong to leave you. Besides, I think you're the only person I know that actually likes me. You were right about one thing. I've known that we're gonna die since we walked out of that gas station and the van was gone. I don't think there's a way out of this for us."

The Elliot that walked away was the 'hard' alter that doesn't need anyone else. The Elliot that returned is the 'weak' alter that cares about others, Darlene in particular.

Darlene hates the hard alter and that's who she left the message on the phone for, it's who she spoke to Tobias about. She knows about Mr. Robot but not that there are two Elliots.

Could the reason why Elliot has stopped talking to us is because for the most part we are seeing the hard alter?

• Advertisement

4.5 That was an exciting episode, parts were like watching my son play GTA. Elliot sure likes to jump from great heights! The dialogue was simply amazing.

Darlne: "It's cool dude. We don't have to talk."
    1 line, 2 sentences (11 letters, 16 letters)

Then Vera shows up and mucks it all up. Maybe he was there just to bookend the no dialogue episode.

EDIT: Just realised 11:16 could be 1/1/16

Advertisement