Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr. Robot-USA Network-US Pace(**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

whatever happens tonight it's been a great show particularly this last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm reasonably sure the third personality is the real Elliot, and the protagonist came into being around the start of season 1. It's the only theory I've seen that rings true. It would make sense why Darlene was able to awaken him. It would explain why Elliot didn't remember Darlene as his sister in season 1. There are no other characters in the show that seem to fit.

called it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Stunning. One of the best series finale I've ever watched.

So why do you reckon real Elliot said not to worry about Vera? Just being reassuring? Difficult to have much insight into a character you only see for a few minutes, and even then only outside the context of real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

So why do you reckon real Elliot said not to worry about Vera? Just being reassuring? Difficult to have much insight into a character you only see for a few minutes, and even then only outside the context of real life.

When does this happen? Back in early season one?

I would have thought that Vera was the main cataylst for him creating The mastermind in the first place, but it's a long time since I watched season one, I really need to go watch it again!

The amount of foreshadowing in the show is insane! https://i.redd.it/vk3wx7jvwb641.jpg

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    When does this happen? Back in early season one?

I would have thought that Vera was the main cataylst for him creating The mastermind in the first place, but it's a long time since I watched season one, I really need to go watch it again!

The amount of foreshadowing in the show is insane! https://i.redd.it/vk3wx7jvwb641.jpg
    In season 4 Darlene said she told Elliot Vera had been released, and that Elliot told her not to worry. It was the first Elliot or Mr Robot had heard of it, so the implication was that a third personality was in control at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4.12: Ah Elliot, not cool!

Still unsure whether this is a dream or a parallel universe or something else. The every-car-is-white bit is confusing there.

I guess he just didn't really know who he was and was being reassuring/dismissive

4.13: Excellent finale. It's not often you see a show doing a proper end but this one really did stick the landing. Really liked the Darlene/Mastermind moments there at the end.

Overall: Excellent series. Only the quickest skim back over the first 10 minutes of episode one says to me that it was the plan all along. That it's unlikely we met real Elliot outside of his head.

Can't believe that's it now. Not gonna look a well wrapped, signed sealed and delivered gift horse in the mouth though :) Well done Sam Esmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont know some people have to be drawn to such stuff the show ended for me on s2, main attraction was real life - well possible tech hacks, testing etc and reality it brought, but whole 3-4 personality stuff and other dimensions pretty ended it, mind **** for sure imagine some enjoy it, but for me was the technical details that got attention for beginning.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    i dont know some people have to be drawn to such stuff the show ended for me on s2, main attraction was real life - well possible tech hacks, testing etc and reality it brought, but whole 3-4 personality stuff and other dimensions pretty ended it, mind **** for sure imagine some enjoy it, but for me was the technical details that got attention for beginning.

yeah t'was the tech and fintech that drew me in.. it definitely felt like an aspect they dropped as the seasons went by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

There was no other dimensions. Whiterose alluded to it but we never see it. What we saw in the last episode was all within the mind of Elliot. The show wouldn't have been what it was if it wasnt for these other personalities. This was a well planned out show from start to finish and it ended perfectly imo. This season was excellent television.

It was originally written to be a movie. That is why the ending was so tight and clearly planned from the start. (And also why the middle seasons might have dipped a little bit.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

That was a beautiful ending, M83 was perfect for that. What a journey.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A beautiful ending. People had worked out the final twist, but that's because it was so wonderfully foreshadowed, peppering the show throughout with clues.
    The filming here was, as ever I suppose for this season, great and the final choices in music - both the score as Elliott Mastermind looked out on NYC and the closing credits as they sat down to watch the real Elliott were perfect.

We already know Malek has begun to make his impact, having gotten an Oscar, but I really hope Esmail goes further in his career. It's rare that a show can set things up so early on and see the pay off through and done so well.

TV season of the year for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

ixoy wrote: »
    A beautiful ending. People had worked out the final twist, but that's because it was so wonderfully foreshadowed, peppering the show throughout with clues.
    The filming here was, as ever I suppose for this season, great and the final choices in music - both the score as Elliott Mastermind looked out on NYC and the closing credits as they sat down to watch the real Elliott were perfect.

We already know Malek has begun to make his impact, having gotten an Oscar, but I really hope Esmail goes further in his career. It's rare that a show can set things up so early on and see the pay off through and done so well.

I can’t really name one average actor in this show but Carly Chaikin has been incredible throughout too. Immensely talented actress.

There wasn't any consensus on what the final twist would be. A guy put his finger on it on reddit a couple of months ago, but there were lots of other theories, many of which were more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭al87987

I loved season 1 for the tech and hacking stuff also, the show lost my interest a little bit towards the end.

For me it just became overly convoluted constantly trying to pull the rug out from under you. Don't really get the mad love the final season is getting but each to their own.

Malek is very good though and it will be interesting to see how his Bond villain goes down and where his career goes next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Felt like too much was left unanswered and they went for the emotional beats like Lost did rather than payoff some of the various questions that they raised.

I enjoyed the series as a whole but felt a lack of payoff somewhat which causes me to hold it in less high regard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Felt like too much was left unanswered and they went for the emotional beats like Lost did rather than payoff some of the various questions that they raised.
    I'm probably going to regret asking, since it could well end up annoying me too, but what questions were unanswered?

• Advertisement

I'm probably going to regret asking, since it could well end up annoying me too, but what questions were unanswered?

Ok there's going to be a couple of these. Spoilers ahead for those who haven't watched it:

:pac:

• Well the first is obvious enough, does the machine work? Felt like considering just how much it featured, and just how sure Whiterose was that it would work, that there was at least a small chance of it working. I guess we will never know and that is a massive cop out for me. What makes it even more of a cop out is just how intelligent Whiterose was, how he was so many steps ahead of everyone usually, how he/she had gotten to become one of, if not the most powerful person in the world. Based on his/her track record of success, I wanted to know if the machine worked. It was the driving force of the whole show and we didn't get an answer.
    • On that point, what did Whiterose show Angela that led her to be so utterly convinced in her plan? Was the little girl young Angela (it was the same actress who played both)?
    • Why did Whiterose kill herself before the machine went off? It felt like this only happened so Elliot could stop it. There was literally no other reason for this to happen.
    • What happened for the 3 days after the hack. How did Elliot end up in Tyrells car? We never got an answer to this.
    • What happened to Tyrell? Is he dead? If he is dead then that is such a colossal waste of one of the best characters, as it stands then it's still a colossal waste of one of the best characters I guess, so..
    • In season 1 Mr Robot is often working against the Mastermind to ensure the hack is successful. At various points the Mastermind does not actually want to complete the hack. Shouldn't that be the other way around. A rebuttal to this is that Mr.Robot wants to complete the Masterminds mission so he leaves. BUT - then Mr.Robot goes rogue with Stage 2 and tries to secretly complete it, when the Mastermind explicitly does not, why is this?

• Well the first is obvious enough, does the machine work? Felt like considering just how much it featured, and just how sure Whiterose was that it would work, that there was at least a small chance of it working. I guess we will never know and that is a massive cop out for me. What makes it even more of a cop out is just how intelligent Whiterose was, how he was so many steps ahead of everyone usually, how he/she had gotten to become one of, if not the most powerful person in the world. Based on his/her track record of success, I wanted to know if the machine worked. It was the driving force of the whole show and we didn't get an answer.
    • On that point, what did Whiterose show Angela that led her to be so utterly convinced in her plan? Was the little girl young Angela (it was the same actress who played both)?
    • Why did Whiterose kill herself before the machine went off? It felt like this only happened so Elliot could stop it. There was literally no other reason for this to happen[
    Whiterose is nuts and can draw other people into his nuttiness.
    • What happened for the 3 days after the hack. How did Elliot end up in Tyrells car? We never got an answer to this.
    • What happened to Tyrell? Is he dead? If he is dead then that is such a colossal waste of one of the best characters, as it stands then it's still a colossal waste of one of the best characters I guess, so..
    • In season 1 Mr Robot is often working against the Mastermind to ensure the hack is successful. At various points the Mastermind does not actually want to complete the hack. Shouldn't that be the other way around. A rebuttal to this is that Mr.Robot wants to complete the Masterminds mission so he leaves. BUT - then Mr.Robot goes rogue with Stage 2 and tries to secretly complete it, when the Mastermind explicitly does not, why is this?

Elliot is an unreliable narrator.

Yeah if you can create your own head canon, I genuinely, and I'm not being sarcastic here, I genuinely am happy for you.

It is a very good show, but I felt like the amount of unanswered questions will, personally, bring it down a few levels for me.

I think those questions leave open the possibility of a spin-off series. One that would probably be more science fiction than Mr. Robot as it was.

I wouldn't be averse to the idea :) Non-scifi fans might not be pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

The persona was created to carry out the hack while Elliot was safely caged in Macworld. In the final episode we learned that Mastermind was in control before Darlene came back into Elliot's life. Once he took control he lost sight of the mission, forgot about Elliot and was doing his own thing. Mastermind fought Mr. Robot for control because he misunderstood his own role in the plot. Mr. Robot entered the frame to bring him back on mission, Mastermind was paranoid and in his bid to retain control he tried to thwart Mr. Robot's efforts. This was consistent behaviour throughout the series.

Just like Darlene's mention of Vera, it was a clue to us that there was another persona whom we hadn't met. Mastermind was created to perform the hack, Mr. Robot was in control when Tyrell carried out the hack. My take on what happened is that Mr. Robot returned control to Elliot afterwards but Mastermind seized back control. We weren't shown what happened in those 3 days because it would have spoiled the reveal.

How does any cult indoctrinate people? Do you think Angela was a well balanced individual? I'm not certain she was and there was some evidence that she herself may have been an abuse victim. In the story arc Angela became detached from reality and she was in a vulnerable state when she had her brainwashing encounter.

Struggling through the last season.. this was poor enough.. Jesus yer man Malik is an awful actor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I only got around to watching the last 9 episodes of Season 4 this week .

I did enjoy it but it had its faults.

It was ridiculously far fetched and the pacing was just ludicrous ,the amount of stuff condensed into Christmas day alone was crazy.

The Mastermind reveal felt cheap and retconned .
    Esmail tried to be too clever throwing in that final twist .
    In season 1 Mr Robot is often working against the Mastermind to ensure the hack is successful. At various points the Mastermind does not actually want to complete the hack. Shouldn't that be the other way around. A rebuttal to this is that Mr.Robot wants to complete the Masterminds mission so he leaves. BUT - then Mr.Robot goes rogue with Stage 2 and tries to secretly complete it, when the Mastermind explicitly does not, why is this?

Exactly what I thought too, Mr Robot was the key antagonist in Series 1 ,and was the one driving the 5/9 hack forward .
    Mastermind is the hesitant one .

It is the Protector, or, Mr. Robot, that created fsociety and introduced the Mastermind to fsociety.
    Mastermind Elliot has no recollection of creating fsociety and is introduced to it by the Protector personality, Mr. Robot.

Why would the Protector want to continue blowing up the buildings, why did the Protector pitch stage 2, isn't this something the Mastermind should pitch in order to take down the evil that is E-Corp?
    Why did Mr Robot almost kill Mastermind by pushing him off the pier ?

• Advertisement

He planned from the start that Elliot was not the original Elliot.

Then the same twist was featured in another show shortly before the class season of Mr Robot. Maybe that was why he added the additional twist that Elliot was the mastermind.

Probably not though, I think it went that direction earlier.

Advertisement