Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr. Robot-USA Network-US Pace(**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

Taboola wrote: »
    Can't say I was a massive fan of the second episode. I found myself drifting off at parts which is a shame because I loved the pilot.

Same as myself, I was enthralled by the pilot and waited anxiously for the second ep. It was good, but I think I overhyped it and found many parts a bit too tedious. Hopefully it'll pick itself up next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

naughto wrote: »
    Thinking Mr robot is Elliot's father and that he's not there but in his mind

yeah a lot of people are comparing this to Fight Club down to the crazy girl being the Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter) character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

brevity wrote: »
    Really good show this. Lots of interesting characters and great story lines. Reminds me a lot of Dexter though. Victim of the week, internal monologues and storing cd's of his victims are like the blood slides...

Great sound track as well.

thought this so much i had to google if the same people who made dexter were making this, his social awkwardness too although a little more extreme than in dexter, his good friend(alot like dexters sister ??? work together, she relies on him alot etc) the are they trying to reach out to me scene ? alot like the ice truck killer story in season one of dexter too, really strange. there's obv alot more to the show than just that though, so will def be continuing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I enjoyed the pilot - wasn't crazy on episode 2 but here's hoping it'll improve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just watched this show based on this thread. I'm glad I did. Will be watching with interest!

Same as, I'm almost gutted it's not a netflix show - I'd love to binge watch it!

Hopefully they can keep the writing as good as the precedent they set with the pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Wasn't mad on the second episode. But I'll keep watching as I have no doubt that it'll improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Delivered again in the 3rd ep, first 10 mins or so were awesome. Loved when it went happy happy and then all American Psycho..... consistently good for me anyways, 2 thumbs up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Bit of a strange episode this one. I think they might have over did it with that guy who wants to be CTO..shades of Patrick Bateman...which I think they might have been going for.

The couple do nothing for me really. They are the weakest part of the show and their dialog is not good.

As an aside, great to see Truxton Spangler from Rubicon make a appearance. His comment on the tie must have been a nod to his excellent tie speech in Rubicon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That 3rd episode, meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

bar the extremely long sex scene that was another brilliant episode,

gonna be interesting to see what hes gonna do when he finds out who the CTO candidate is, hes going to some lengths to find out, and his wife is probably a bigger freak than him, both scenes were just really uncomfortable, which is what im assuming they were going for, more so than anything else, cause i saw no reason for the scene with his wife,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Think from the scene in the bar it looked very much like he was there by himself and is talking to himself.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Think from the scene in the bar it looked very much like he was there by himself and is talking to himself.

Ya I thought that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the other thing is the way the hacker chick reacts to him. They haven't had much interaction that we've seen yet she seems hurt when he pushes her away. So clearly they've had more interaction than he and we are aware of.

Though I guess at ths point the big reveal could be that Mr Robot is real. Though he's not a fan of Ireland so Boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Safe to say that I'm hooked at this point. Why oh why did I get into this from the start. Now I have to keep waiting a week.

Could well be a whole "Fight Club" type thing gojng on as previously mentioned. The barman paid zero attention to Slater, for example, in Ep 3. At the very end of the episode, none of the rest of the hackers paid any attention to him either, and at the end it was Elliot they were paying attention to as he said "this is the plan.

Whether there is a twist or not to come, I'm thoroughly enjoying the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really hope it's not a Fight Club situation. I don't think it will be, but everything is pointing towards it. The only thing that's making me think it may not be, is in the pub, he leaves through the door and it opens and closes with no one else near it. Time will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    brevity wrote: »
    Ya I thought that as well.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Has "Mr Robot" interacted with anyone in the arcade yet? He's definitely in Elliot's head.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Has "Mr Robot" interacted with anyone in the arcade yet? He's definitely in Elliot's head.

His girlfriend mentioned the other hacker girl so she is definitely real.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No sign that Mr. Robot is actually there yet. In the bar scene, when he's talking to Mr. Robot at the door, you can see the barman staring over in the fuzzy background.

You can also see a fellow programmer constantly glancing over at Elliot when he's talking to Mr. Robot in the office but nobody appears to even question or glance at a guy talking loudly in the office.

The show is intelligent enough though that I assume we're meant to be suspecting this.

Very much enjoying it and so refreshing to see a show where computers are treated in a realistic manner with interesting characters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

after watching the newest ep and yep im officially hooked, it's now in must watch territory for me

That was some dream sequence!

on some level he knows he is Mr Robot imo and it's interesting how he keeps making references to us the viewer whom his inner monologues are being told to (that is assuming it's us he refers to and not Mr Robot when he says things like "I know I created you")

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

Bloody hell what was that all about, what a trippy episode! My housemates hadn't a clue what I was watching :D I like how it's not obviously pointed out that Mr Robot isn't real, rather allow the viewer to realise themselves.

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »
    Bloody hell what was that all about, what a trippy episode! My housemates hadn't a clue what I was watching :D I like how it's not obviously pointed out that Mr Robot isn't real, rather allow the viewer to realise themselves.
    yeah and i hope they hold off telling us for 2-3 seasons, just to let it build and then have everyone freak out,

its really like another dexter thing like whenever
    he talked with harry

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

I'm going to have to watch that last one again. Loved the "Maybe I'll be normal and drink caramel lattes" sequence from ep3. The detox was a good place to start with all that, although bad timing with all the drama that was going on with their little heist. Hopefully next week we'll find out if they managed to fry those motherboards or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭squonk

I got lost during that episode! Much of it was a dream sequence though so I think I can hapilly get back on track next week. I do too think Mr. Robot is imaginary. I'm just wondering how he led Elliot to the hackers in the first place. I'm looking forward to the heist next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's losing viewers week on week in the ratings.

But at least it has been renewed for a second season so unless the ratings drop off the charts completely the story will continue.

Ah that episode was amazing. I loved it! Right from the start, the opening dialog was something along the lines of "There it is, my last line. The consequences of *couldn't hear it right* meeting Mr Robot, creating you… everything til now, this moment. I chose this."

Then after that, right after he talks about the plan, one of the guys says, "We've been planning this for months, now we're gonna ruin all that just cause he says so?" then right after that, as they're robbing the car, he says "Something ain't right about this guy" to which the other guy responds, "Yeah, well, he's gotten us this far". At this point, all we've seen Elliot do is leave a file on the Evil Corp servers and enable access to those servers to retrieve data. Hardly enough to merit the comment "Yeah, well, he's gotten us this far", I don't think.

In the car, right before he gets sick and goes into serious withdrawals, he's going on about demons: "There's a saying, 'The devils at his strongest while we're looking the other way. Demons perform actions without user interaction. Primal urges, repressed memories, unconscious habits, they're always there…. intentions are irrelevant, they don't drive us. Demons do. And me? I've got more than most". Queue the amazing trippy withdrawal sequence.

In that trippy sequence then, after he 'proposes' to Angela, she starts having a go at him (not even married and already she's having a go), and she says "You were only born a month ago..... Do you know what you're monster is?.........You're not Elliot. You the *deliberate garbled speech*" and he wakes up then. Only born a month ago? I'm trying to remember how long there was between the server hack and data release, and the arrest of the CTO.

At the very end of the episode then, in his demons outro speech he says "Even though you're with me, even though I created you, it makes no difference, we all must deal with them alone".

So I'm thinking he had an episode (or whatever it would be called?) fairly recently and his 'alter ego' found this "fsociety" hacker group some night. Doing a bit of planning and hacking etc. After a while the alter ego wants to 'allow him in' or something and he, with access to the Evil Corp servers, left that file there for himself as a clue for, well, himself... to track down the fsociety. Basically, he engineered the hack on the servers, and left himself clues to track them down, the real 'him'. It was around that same time that he was constantly 'seeing' Mr Robot (the subway, in the park etc) anyway. All very Tyler Durden-esque.

Do I know where I'm going with this now? No. I think I've over excited myself, and lost my multiple trains of thought and my fingers can't keep up. But I've typed all this out at this point. There's more in that trippy withdrawal sequence now that I can't remember now. I'm hooked. Not been this optimistic about a show in quite a while. I may have to go back and start it all again.

Edit: right after he wakes up, he says "I'm all alone" and then Mr Robot walks out from the shadows and says "You're not alone. We'll get through this together", and I don't think he was referring to the withdrawal syptoms, but rather the whole "Let's change the world" mantra. He created Mr Robot to enable him to do all this. To "perform actions without user interaction". Again, all very Tyler Durden-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I must be in the minority but i thought that episode was the weakest yet, the dream sequence was far too long as was finding that rapper guy with chinese connections, apart from that nothing happened.

It's losing viewers week on week in the ratings.

But at least it has been renewed for a second season so unless the ratings drop off the charts completely the story will continue.
    could be what makes the show great is what could be its downfall, its actually good, when it comes to the great shows ratings rarely match the quality, sure breaking bad didnt break 2 million viewer mark till season 5
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Breaking_Bad_episodes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Banta wrote: »
    In the car, right before he gets sick and goes into serious withdrawals, he's going on about demons: "There's a saying, 'The devils at his strongest while we're looking the other way. Demons perform actions without user interaction. Primal urges, repressed memories, unconscious habits, they're always there…. intentions are irrelevant, they don't drive us. Demons do. And me? I've got more than most". Queue the amazing trippy withdrawal sequence.

That was a really cool piece of dialogue. The word he actually used was Daemon, which means a process that runs in the background on a computer that a user doesn't interact. It runs more or less unnoticed but can have a bit effect. It's the computing equivalent of a subconscious thought (or possibly a voice in your head).

also when he was in withdrawal, and he saw a few e corp trucks driving by on the road, was that real or what, cause that could have been the hard copies of the data they want to erase heading to the new destinations, meaning if they do succeed in doing what their doing it will all be for noting.

that was very well done his hallucinating, i loved how it went on for long, it shows were dealing with a very creative team here, a lot of detail went into it, i loved the house scene and the office set up like a restaurant,

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    That was a really cool piece of dialogue. The word he actually used was Daemon, which means a process that runs in the background on a computer that a user doesn't interact. It runs more or less unnoticed but can have a bit effect. It's the computing equivalent of a subconscious thought (or possibly a voice in your head).

Very true! I hadn't even noticed it! Makes the speech even better then.

Very clever play on words indeed.

Advertisement