Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr. Robot-USA Network-US Pace(**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Could some explain to me why the blond chick was so afraid of those hackers having all her information, Its not a big deal to cancel all your cards and change passwords and what not, its completely ridiculous.

Also this alter ego Craic is way too obvious hopefully it ends up a bit more original than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very poor episode. Some nice bits of dialog as mentioned above, but it was a meandering aimless mess.

I think that one will cost them a lot of viewers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Pretty obvious now that Mr. Robot isnt real. It's also obvious that Elliott created the gang - not that he stumbled upon them.

I take it they dont get the job done before the other copies are sent to the other locations and that his dream about the truck give him the idea to take them out while they are in transit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

I enjoyed the episode but I can see why people might not like it.

Like the nod to hackers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Could some explain to me why the blond chick was so afraid of those hackers having all her information, Its not a big deal to cancel all your cards and change passwords and what not, its completely ridiculous.

Not in the US it's not. Once someone has all those details (bank acc, social security number, address, etc) it's a recipe for disaster. That's enough info to withdraw all the actual owners money, get a credit card from every major bank in the US and probably some fake loans too. Credit cards are handed out like candy. Enough to get a couple of hundred thousand dollars of debt for the actual victim. Even file for bankruptcy in the victims name. Then the victim has to sort it all out, has a credit rating through the floor so nobody will touch them.

For hackers to have hers, her parents and his info is a damn good reason to be ****ting it.

• Advertisement

Not in the US it's not. Once someone has all those details (bank acc, social security number, address, etc) it's a recipe for disaster. That's enough info to withdraw all the actual owners money, get a credit card from every major bank in the US and probably some fake loans too. Credit cards are handed out like candy. Enough to get a couple of hundred thousand dollars of debt for the actual victim. Even file for bankruptcy in the victims name. Then the victim has to sort it all out, has a credit rating through the floor so nobody will touch them.

For hackers to have hers, her parents and his info is a damn good reason to be ****ting it.

I call bull on all that, if you feel your information has been compromised and you notify the correct authorities the hackers won't be able to do anything.

Think about it, Your saying if I went to my bank and said someone has all my information, they would say well we can't do anything about that they have all your money now just crawl into the nearest ditch and die, get real.

I call bull on all that, if you feel your information has been compromised and you notify the correct authorities the hackers won't be able to do anything.

Think about it, Your saying if I went to my bank and said someone has all my information, they would say well we can't do anything about that they have all your money now just crawl into the nearest ditch and die, get real.

You can't think about it from an Irish perspective, because it just doesn't work the same way.

You can say "correct authorities" all you want, but realistically there are none. Your SSN in the US is almost the equivalent of your birth cert here, except more important. They're never changed or re-issued.
    The SSN is frequently used by those involved in identity theft, since it is interconnected with so many other forms of identification, and because people asking for it treat it as an authenticator. Financial institutions generally require an SSN to set up bank accounts, credit cards, and loans—partly because they assume that no one except the person it was issued to knows it.

Exacerbating the problem of using the social security number as an identifier is the fact that the social security card contains no biometric identifiers of any sort, making it essentially impossible to tell whether a person using a certain SSN truly belongs to someone without relying on other documentation (which may itself have been falsely procured through use of the fraudulent SSN).

Yes - you can go to your current bank here and cancel the cards you have, but with someone's SSN and all their details, there's nothing stopping someone setting up new bank accounts at other branches, without you ever knowing.

Say your only account is with Chase. Suddenly you've got accounts open with Citigroup, Wells fargo, HSBC, Bank of America, Capitol one, etc and each has issued a credit card upon opening the account. But it's worse than that - Each bank in the US readily issue multiple credit cards because they're all linked with promotional things like air miles, points, etc.

Your credit rating is also great, so each bank has approved a loan. You know nothing about this, but suddenly you have huge debts to multiple banks. More than that - Once the debts aren't paid, the people who were paid with the fraudulent credit cards come looking to settle their debts too - often by hiring debt collection agencies.

The first time you know about any of these problems is when they come knocking on your door to collect the debt, or throw you in jail for non-payment.

You can't think about it from an Irish perspective, because it just doesn't work the same way.

You can say "correct authorities" all you want, but realistically there are none. Your SSN in the US is almost the equivalent of your birth cert here, except more important. They're never changed or re-issued.

Yes - you can go to your current bank here and cancel the cards you have, but with someone's SSN and all their details, there's nothing stopping someone setting up new bank accounts at other branches, without you ever knowing.

Say your only account is with Chase. Suddenly you've got accounts open with Citigroup, Wells fargo, HSBC, Bank of America, Capitol one, etc and each has issued a credit card upon opening the account. But it's worse than that - Each bank in the US readily issue multiple credit cards because they're all linked with promotional things like air miles, points, etc.

Your credit rating is also great, so each bank has approved a loan. You know nothing about this, but suddenly you have huge debts to multiple banks. More than that - Once the debts aren't paid, the people who were paid with the fraudulent credit cards come looking to settle their debts too - often by hiring debt collection agencies.

The first time you know about any of these problems is when they come knocking on your door to collect the debt, or throw you in jail for non-payment.

You say the first time you know about these problems is when they come knocking but she is way ahead of the hackers in this case, they have given them time, There are definitely measures that can be taken to protect herself, I realise the system is ****ed up over there but its not as bad as your making out, she says shes got student debt so her credit history wouldn't be too good anyway. Also what's to stop them using the information even if she uploads the virus, Her actions are one of a complete nimrod which she clearly isn't.

Just from a quick Google

http://www.pacer.org/publications/possibilities/protect-your-identity/89-what-should-i-do-if-i-think-my-identity-has-been-stolen.html

You say the first time you know about these problems is when they come knocking but she is way ahead of the hackers in this case, they have given them time
    5. Periodically check your credit reports over the next year to make sure no new fraudulent activity has occurred.

It's not a case of once you report these things that's it solved, everything is back to normal. These fraudulent bank accounts and other activity might not appear for a long time, and you can't prevent it - only continuously monitor your credit report to try catch it. They're often set up with different addresses so the actual victim never receives notice that these accounts have been set up.

And while her credit rating might not be so good, she said it'd been linked with her dads account and they had his SSN too.

It's not a case of once you report these things that's it solved, everything is back to normal. These fraudulent bank accounts and other activity might not appear for a long time, and you can't prevent it - only continuously monitor your credit report to try catch it. They're often set up with different addresses so the actual victim never receives notice that these accounts have been set up.

And while her credit rating might not be so good, she said it'd been linked with her dads account and they had his SSN too.

You take a snippet from a long article I posted to make your point?. Your first post insinuated nothing can be done to stop the people who steel your identity that article outlines many steps that can be taken, Its definitely not as bad as you make out. I grow weary of this now so will agree to disagree.

The real stupid thing is they can still use her information to hurt her. Its not believable that she's such a dumbass.

Imo it would have made allot more sense if the writers just had her boyfriend up load the virus as the hackers had more leverage on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The real stupid thing is they can still use her information to hurt her. Its not believable that she's such a dumbass.

But it's the same as in every case of extortion - you can refuse and definitely get screwed or do what they want and hope for the best. Fact is she's in trouble if she refuses and her only hope, however slim, of not being financially ruined is to do what they want. Dont forget that they work in network security so its obvious to her at this point it's not just some random identity theft, this is a targeted attack, so it's not her identity they want, its access to her company's network. By complying with them they just might keep their end of the bargain as her identity is at best a fringe benefit but it's not what they're looking for.

JohnK wrote: »
    But it's the same as in every case of extortion - you can refuse and definitely get screwed or do what they want and hope for the best. Fact is she's in trouble if she refuses and her only hope, however slim, of not being financially ruined is to do what they want. Dont forget that they work in network security so its obvious to her at this point it's not just some random identity theft, this is a targeted attack, so it's not her identity they want, its access to her company's network. By complying with them they just might keep their end of the bargain as her identity is at best a fringe benefit but it's not what they're looking for.

Obviously I don't believe they have the power to financially ruin her, I think she has options to protect herself that she should be well aware of given her job. Its just lazy writing imo.

In most blackmail cases there is a real threat so people comply out of desperation, In this case she has more to lose by meeting the demands, you don't agree fine.

How much trouble will she be in now if she is caught, she used a key card to enter the office that morning that has to be recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wow... might be jumping the gun a bit but that episode was a real let down and some will lose interest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed that but then I enjoy trippy sequences like this, including the bizarre stuff 'Hannibal' throws up. Can definitely see it turning people off - perhaps a bit early to have attempted this.

As to Elliot being Mr. Robot, one of the simplest reasons is the name of the show is 'Mr. Robot'. It's not 'F-Society'. It's about Elliot and his alter-ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

For me the show has steadily declined from episode to episode since the pilot...
    At the same time Dark Matter is inclining in the opposite direction since its average pilot...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

After watching the latest episode Im done with this show.

This, Hannibal and True Detective all dumped by me simply because I dont want any TV shpw to mentally challenge me this much. TV is something you're supoosed to relax to, not f*cking need a pen and paper to keep track of or read up on after to figure out what you just watched.

What a shame, it was the strongest Pilot since maybe Lost.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    TV is something you're supoosed to relax to, not f*cking need a pen and paper to keep track of or read up on after to figure out what you just watched.
    It's what a lot of people do want, fair enough, but it's definitely not what all TV shows should aspire to. Some should push boundaries and make you think otherwise all we get are cookie-cutter cop shows.

As a matter of interest, what was difficult about this episode given a huge chunk was just symbolic dreams? I saw a few people elsewhere say they're lost with the tech talk so curious if some posters here are finding that too.

This, Hannibal and True Detective all dumped by me simply because I dont want any TV shpw to mentally challenge me this much. TV is something you're supoosed to relax to, not f*cking need a pen and paper to keep track of or read up on after to figure out what you just watched.

This has to be one of the dumbest things that I have ever read, you actually are criticising a TV because it challenges you too much. Honestly, I want a show to challenge me. I want it to be smart, fun, intelligent and the something that I have to think about. I enjoy dumb fun as much as the next person but 9 times out of 10 I want something which strives to be adult and smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

The world has enough sh1te mindless TV every now and then I love a bit of thought provoking TV but in recent times it's a cancellation garuntee in favour of reality TV rubbish.

I'm sticking with this as want to see where they take it

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

I'm guessing the men in black aren't real and Mr Robot isn't real. I'm hoping at some point we will see a retrospective scene in which we find out why he was appointed a psychiatrist and why he has amnesia. When Angela said "you were only born a month ago" I wonder if that means the men in black and Mr robot started appearing a month ago, after a meltdown. He seems to have amnesia over the whole "plan" that he created with his fellow hackers, which is probably also due to his meltdown. The strange thing being that only his psychiatrist so far has alluded to it at all, saying "you're not shouting any more, that's good. Are the men in black still following you around?“. It's a bit strange that no on else is asking him if he's feeling better, but then maybe no one else knows. Angela seems to be his only long term friend besides from qwerty and maybe she wasn't aware of what happened. I think those anonymous masked man tapes were filmed before his amnesia set in? I hope we get a retrospective ep soon anyway that'll fill in some of the dots. Can't wait for the next ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I'm guessing the men in black aren't real and Mr Robot isn't real.
    id say the men in black are real as weve seen them doing things when elliot isnt there, its only mr robot that we havent seen unless elliot is present and he hasnt interacted with anyone beside elliot,

but yeah a retrospective episode would be good, but somehow i cant see anything like than happening till at least the season finale, or even have it play out in season 2,

theyve set up a great story here, i really hope theyve planned it out and have an end that matches the quality so far, and one that could continue for 4-5 seasons, more person of interest than dexter hopefully,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

geecee wrote: »
    At the same time Dark Matter is inclining in the opposite direction since its average pilot...

And thank you! Cheese aside, I'm really enjoying Dark Matter! Been looking for a space show to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

After watching the latest episode Im done with this show.

What a shame, it was the strongest Pilot since maybe Lost.

That is actually one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in a while. In fact it actually the reason why there are so many bad tv shows and why reality tv is so popular and good shows get cancelled, to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Complaining that a show is intelligent and mentally challenging? Jaysus. Here, I watch a few shows like Arrow, Flash etc for the pure entertainment and enjoyment factor and because they are an easy watch, but when a really good intelligent show comes along,like The Wire, it can be one of the best things you ever watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This has to be one of the dumbest things that I have ever read etc
    tvnutz wrote: »
    That is actually one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in a while. In fact it actually the reason why there are so many bad tv shows and why reality tv is so popular and good shows get cancelled, to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Gentlemen. Gentlemen. Jesus. Calm down!

I love intelligent TV, some of my favourite shows have been high brow shows like The West Wing. What I hate in a TV show is leaving us lost with poor plotting or making things too technical for those of us who havent worked in the world of Programming to understand.

Like Mr Robot.

When I said I didnt want a show to make me think I should have been clearer. I dont want a show to confuse the absolute fúck out of me like this and True Detective season 2 has. Hey, Im not the only one here thinking it, Ive seen similar in this thread and the consensus elsewhere online seems to be "it started great, but each episode was weaker than the last"

Let's compare The West Wing with Mr Robot for a second. Two very different shows in many ways but bear with me. When Im watching The West Wing I dont always know what's going on completely plot wise when it comes to the American political structure (very few do), but I still care about the characters because they're so well written. I care what happens to them next. I want to go on a journey with them and see where we all end up.

I no longer want to go on a journey with Mr Robot and his clunky storylines and insider tech dialogue. He could have shot himself in the face in the latest episode and Id have been ok with it. That, my friends, is sh*te writing.

Let's not all get Fan-boyish on a show that's had a handful of episodes air as it looks a bit pathetic to be honest. It has ripped off The Fight Club so much David Fincher should be getting weekly cheques from the USA Network.

But do enjoy the rest of it if it makes you feel intelligent and good about yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I am still in two minds , this could either be the greatest TV show of this generation , or pure self indulgent nonsense . I am really not sure which.
    It looks amazing , it sounds amazing , the acting is great and the story is layered and compelling , Is it going anywhere , is it just riffing on 90s masterpieces like American Psycho and Fight Club. will it be a pointless navel gazing exercise ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Don't agree that the standard has dropped, enjoyed the last ep and look forward to the next one. I am curious how they will avoid being looked upon as a Fight Club rip off but tbh I would think that they know people will see that "twist" coming and it wouldn't surprise me if the "you are Mr Robot" reveal was actually done fairly early and they went in another direction then, perhaps with him embracing it.

Mr Robot is for want of a better term his more Vindictive side, the part of him who more actively wants to take the evil corporations down and doesn't care how it gets done (Elliot trying to change the plans so that nobody gets hurt). I would think that even after an early reveal we will still have Slater / Robot there as his anti-conscience kind of the opposite of Dexters dad in that show for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't think it's ripping anything off. I mean there are some similarities to other TV shows or movies but is there really anything out there at them moment that hasn't been influenced by some other piece of media?

The level of drugs and sex might be a bit much for some but its directed towards adults. Far too many shows try to include a much wider audience and the result ends up watered down. This isn't trying to be anything other than a show about people with different interests and motives than the norm.

It's a very good show IMO and, to me, has a feel of a David fincher movie which is no bad thing. The writer said he has the story and ending all figured out which is good but I'd worry about it getting the amount of airtime that it requires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

brevity wrote: »
    The writer said he has the story and ending all figured out which is good but I'd worry about it getting the amount of airtime that it requires.

Everytime I hear that I'm more worried about it being a hit and executives signing on additional seasons so that we end up with new writers padding things out with tangent story lines and unnecessary back stories. Can you imagine Lost was just 2 seasons?

To share your concerns though, let's hope it's not another Firefly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TBH, I just can't get past the likeness.

NUP_168387_0261.JPG

84747.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IDK the whole Fight Club parallels put me off the show a bit. It's good, but certainly not as great as some people are claiming.

Advertisement