Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT Preperation Material for Veterinary Medicine

• 27-05-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello everyone :)

Literally just signed up so I'm not quite sure how to use this! I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that could give me some advice on preperation for the GAMSAT exam for veterinary medicine 2016.

Im 23 years of age, and completed an undergraduate science degree in microbiology. I want to apply for the graduate entry into vet medicine for 2016 (as its too late this year).

Just wanted to know whats the best prep material to buy to prepare for the exam in march 2016?

ANY other advice based on this topic would be so helpful also.. Should i apply to all vet medicine colleges.. UK and Budapest?

Graduate entry course in UCD IS 20k.. Would anyone advice doing the undergraduate course instead?

Im still doing research on this and i would really appreciate anyones help.. But my main worry is the getting the right material for the GAMSAT ☺️

Thanks guys,
    Shauna

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi Shauna,

I'm a vet nurse not a vet so my knowledge of the UCD course is limited. I do know that is very hard to get in as a graduate because of the low number of places so applying as an undergrad is a good idea if you have the points. I know a few vet nurses that went on to study veterinary in Kosice in Slovakia, there is a grad route there that takes about 4 years also. The fees would be lower than the UCD ones which is something to consider as veterinary is not a well paid career.
    About the gamsat I think there is a thread about that in the health sciences education forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

ShaunsMads wrote: »
    Hello everyone :)

Literally just signed up so I'm not quite sure how to use this! I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that could give me some advice on preperation for the GAMSAT exam for veterinary medicine 2016.

Im 23 years of age, and completed an undergraduate science degree in microbiology. I want to apply for the graduate entry into vet medicine for 2016 (as its too late this year).

Just wanted to know whats the best prep material to buy to prepare for the exam in march 2016?

ANY other advice based on this topic would be so helpful also.. Should i apply to all vet medicine colleges.. UK and Budapest?

Graduate entry course in UCD IS 20k.. Would anyone advice doing the undergraduate course instead?

Im still doing research on this and i would really appreciate anyones help.. But my main worry is the getting the right material for the GAMSAT ☺️

Thanks guys,
    Shauna

Shauna,
    As preparation you should apply to sit GAMSAT in London in September. If you get an ok score you might not even have to sit the exam in Ireland in March. I did the GAMSAT in March of this year and got 56 with very little preparation but many others recommend studying leaving cert physics and biology and chemistry to university year 1 standard. Also do plenty of reading of newspapers and books etc.

You can't do the undergraduate course in UCD unless you got the required points in the leaving certificate. When applying for the graduate entry course the GAMSAT score is not the only factor which determines your success. You should ensure that you have as much relevant animal experience as possible, in vets, on farms, at animal shelters etc.

Slovakia (Kosice) do a 4 year graduate entry course, Edinburgh do the same (crazy fees, £29,000 per year I think) as do The Royal Veterinary College in London. I think other UK colleges accept graduates onto their undergraduate courses but they would be longer, 5 or 6 years rather than an accelerated programme of 4 years. You should look into this. Budapest allow graduates to condense the first two years into one so the course is 4.5 years rather than 5.5. There are plenty of options. The UK colleges and UCD are the hardest to get into in my opinion, because of the amount of competition for a small number of places.

Hope this helps.
    Kate

Advertisement