Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE test, broken window on side of camper.... fail?

Options
  • 27-05-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I am wondering how much of the test includes the actual bodywork of the camper. I have a double glaze window with a 2 inch hole and splinter cracks. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 finyar

In my view this will fail the test, they will check seat belts and windows of the conversion

I had a lot of trouble previously with a brand new window that wasn't stamped with the correct EU coding and had to get letters from the manufacturer to prove it was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

finyar wrote: »
    In my view this will fail the test, they will check seat belts and windows of the conversion

Just to clarify this is a coach built standard camper, Hobby model built on Fiat Ducato chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If if you cannot get a replacement handy, could you plastic weld it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I am wondering how much of the test includes the actual bodywork of the camper. I have a double glaze window with a 2 inch hole and splinter cracks. Thanks.

If it fails you have 21 days to get a replacement. I would tape over the area with duct tape (neatly), like a bandaid with two layers crossing each other perpendicularly. If you are feeling extravagant use aluminium foil tape. This will do as a temporary repair (it will last for ages TBH). I take it that you intend replacing it at some stage, your insurance should cover it as accidental window damage.

Mine was a Burstner coachbuilt 2005, and I had replaced the double dinette window due to a crack.

The MOT centre were very fussy about it.

The only other thing I can say is that there main concern are the windows in the vicinity of the area with the belted seats.

Perhaps your damaged one is in a luton or bunks in which case you may get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would tape over the area with duct tape (neatly), like a bandaid with two layers crossing each other perpendicularly. If you are feeling extravagant use aluminium foil tape.

^this

I know with bodywork sharp edges are a failure and tape can be sufficient to pass.

If you want to do a semi permanent repair you can get kevlar sail repair tape that has kevlar scrim between layers of mylar. Its fairly transparent, takes a serious punishing is uv resistant and will last for donkeys years.

http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/Kevlar-Sail-Repair-Tape.html

Normal mylar tape also transparent would last ages too:
    http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/Mylar-Sail-Repair-Tape.html

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

My motorhome passed this week with a cracked outer side of a double skinned window in the toilet area.

My motorhome passed this week with a cracked outer side of a double skinned window in the toilet area.

As I said earlier, the MOT stations main concern is the windows in the vicinity of the belted seats, hence the reason why the cracked bathroom window passed.

They are afraid of injuries to passengers caused by shards from a damaged window

Advertisement