Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch

Options
  • 27-05-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm going to see counting crows in kilmainham in June & we're staying in Jury's in Christchurch. I don't really know Dublin at all so I'm just wondering what's the best (&cheapest) way to get from Christchurch to kilmainham & back and if anyone has any recommendations of where to eat, either in or near Christchurch or on the way to/near kilmainham please?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mollie_b wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to see counting crows in kilmainham in June & we're staying in Jury's in Christchurch. I don't really know Dublin at all so I'm just wondering what's the best (&cheapest) way to get from Christchurch to kilmainham & back and if anyone has any recommendations of where to eat, either in or near Christchurch or on the way to/near kilmainham please?!
    Easiest way to get to and from is to walk - it's only about a 20-minute/half hour walk up along James's Street. Or you could get the 123 bus from either Lord Edward Street or High Street, and get off at the stop after Guinness/James's Gate and walk from there (the bus driver will tell you the stop if you ask).

Eat in town, not a whole lot between Christchurch and Kilmainham. Tons of places in Temple Bar, or along Dame Street, or south of Dame Street, a five minute walk from your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mollie_b

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Easiest way to get to and from is to walk - it's only about a 20-minute/half hour walk up along James's Street.

Eat in town, not a whole lot between Christchurch and Kilmainham. Tons of places in Temple Bar, or along Dame Street, or south of Dame Street, a five minute walk from your hotel.
    Thanks a mil, that's great! Is Dawson street anywhere near either place? Ate in Fire restaurant a couple of years ago & it was fab, wouldn't mind paying another visit!

Mollie_b wrote: »
    Thanks a mil, that's great! Is Dawson street anywhere near either place? Ate in Fire restaurant a couple of years ago & it was fab, wouldn't mind paying another visit!
    Dawson Street would be a 20 minute walk in the opposite direction from Kilmainham.

Google maps is your friend!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Christ+Church+Cathedral/@53.3428629,-6.2728356,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670c264a400f1b:0x9235712668a2dccb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Bull and Castle has excellent food and is right next door to you. You'll probably need to book though to be sure of a table.

George's street is nearby too (closer than Dawson street) and there is lots of choice in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Couple more food options are Oscars Bar, Burdocks, and Arthurs Bar. Burdocks take away only!

• Advertisement

Couple more food options are Oscars Bar, Burdocks, and Arthurs Bar. Burdocks take away only!
    Burdock's is a greasefest! Well, IMO anyway. I'd need a feed of pints in me before tackling a bag from there.

Literally next door to Jury's is the Lord Edward, which up to a few years ago used to have a very well-regarded restaurant upstairs. Mainly fish, I think.

Anyone know if that's still on the go, and as good as it used to be?

(ETA - just checked, and it seems to be on both counts if menupages is to be believed - http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/city_centre/city_centre_south/the_lord_edward)

The Bull & Castle has an FXB's branch in it, which is one of my favourite restaurants in Dublin - really good steaks at a decent price. Can't go far wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I wouldn't bother with Temple Bar.

Head down to Fish Shop, Oscars, Jo Burger, L. Mulligan Grocer or My Meat Wagon in Smithfield/Stoneybatter, which is a 10 minute walk from your hotel, tops. If you're there early and fancy another pint before the concert, Ryans, Dice Bar, Oscars or Mulligans are all either where you're eating, or minutes away.

Depending on access to the gig, hop on the Luas in Smithfield to James Hospital or Suir Road depending on where you're able access Kilmainham.

Usually, I'd say the Royal Oak, nearby, is the best place for a pint, but it'll be jammers. Walk back/bus (123 for sure, but I think you have another few options) back towards Bull & Castle for a few jars nearby. The beer hall upstairs is good, and plenty of nice beers.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Cow's lane off lord Edward street has a great casual Italian restaurant called La Dolce Vita.

If you fancy something more like the pomp of Fire, you could try Cleaver East in the Clarendon Hotel.

Less than 10 mins from Jury's Inn you'll find Dublin's best Sushi restaurant on Capel St - Musashi.

And 5 minutes further up that street is a truly great Vietnamese restaurant called Hanoi Hanoi.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Burdock's is a greasefest! Well, IMO anyway. I'd need a feed of pints in me before tackling a bag from there.

Literally next door to Jury's is the Lord Edward, which up to a few years ago used to have a very well-regarded restaurant upstairs. Mainly fish, I think.

Anyone know if that's still on the go, and as good as it used to be?

(ETA - just checked, and it seems to be on both counts if menupages is to be believed - http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/city_centre/city_centre_south/the_lord_edward)

The Bull & Castle has an FXB's branch in it, which is one of my favourite restaurants in Dublin - really good steaks at a decent price. Can't go far wrong there.

Unfortunately the restaurant upstairs in the Lord Edward closed about a month ago. The bar is still open but I don't think they do any food. (Edited to add link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=559535940856366&id=155202294623068)

OP as someone mentined The Bull & Castle is right next to the hotel and does nice bar food plus there is an FXBs restaurant on theground floor. Nearby is also Cafe Azteca on Lord Edward Street (good Mexican food), Toscana (italian), Queen of Tarts for something light like a quiche or salad, a little further down on Dame St there are a lot more places and you can still get the 123 bus from Dame St to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

miamee wrote: »
    Unfortunately the restaurant upstairs in the Lord Edward closed about a month ago. The bar is still open but I don't think they do any food. (Edited to add link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=559535940856366&id=155202294623068)

[...]

Damn. I didn't know that. That's depressing.

Cheers,

Ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

You can also take the 13 or 40 bus from Lord Edward St (beside Jury's) through Kilmainham, bus driver will tell you where to go. There's a Hilton across the road from the venue which does nice but pricey pub grub if you wanted to get to the gig early. If you get the bus to Inchicore Wallaces Enoteca Torino do a good deal of two courses and a glass of wine for €16.95 and it's less than a ten min walk from the Royal Hospital - though there's not much else to do in the area.

Advertisement