Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First DSLR

• 27-05-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,
    I just bought my first DSLR camera , a Cannon 1200D with the Kit lens a 18-55.
    I want to eventually use the camera for some wildlife photography and was wondering if anyone is using a similar set up. I also am looking for advice on a Telephoto lens, I was told to look out for a Cannon 70-300 IS lens , any opinions or advice would be great .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Like anything... it all comes down to budget :)

I was looking at that Canon 70-300 a while ago but ended up getting this lens as from copious amount of reading, they matched up being very similar but the Tamron is cheaper:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/lens-for-canon/tamron-sp-70-300-mm-f-4-5-6-di-vc-usd-lens/07813419-a.html
    Adverts is great for finding deals on 2nd hand. I got the Tamron for 220 on Adverts.

After few months/year exp and finding where you like to take pics, you may want to invest in better gear, but again means more money...

If you've a larger budget, look at the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 (bout 1000€ i think) and then you can get a x2 extender for about 250€ i think.

Or if you are exclusively looking at wildlife you can get Canon 300mm Prime for about 1500€

If you're looking to spend alot less and more around the 200€ mark for a first Telephoto, Adverts is the beans :) any 70-300 will give you the range but some sort of image stabilization is key i think. Having said that. som people disagree and have it turned off on their 70-300's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

on your Canon aps-c sensor your 70-300 lense would be equivalent of 112-480 on full frame. Great reach for wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Thanks lads , what would the equivalent zoom be with the 300 mm lens ie , 10X or 7X ? im just trying to judge how close I will have to get to capture a reasonable image of say a Fox or Badger

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Like anything... it all comes down to budget :)

I was looking at that Canon 70-300 a while ago but ended up getting this lens as from copious amount of reading, they matched up being very similar but the Tamron is cheaper:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/lens-for-canon/tamron-sp-70-300-mm-f-4-5-6-di-vc-usd-lens/07813419-a.html
    Adverts is great for finding deals on 2nd hand. I got the Tamron for 220 on Adverts.

After few months/year exp and finding where you like to take pics, you may want to invest in better gear, but again means more money...

If you've a larger budget, look at the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 (bout 1000€ i think) and then you can get a x2 extender for about 250€ i think.

Or if you are exclusively looking at wildlife you can get Canon 300mm Prime for about 1500€

If you're looking to spend alot less and more around the 200€ mark for a first Telephoto, Adverts is the beans :) any 70-300 will give you the range but some sort of image stabilization is key i think. Having said that. som people disagree and have it turned off on their 70-300's

Thanks for the Info , I think I am better armed now for my hunt for a long lens, I have more or less settled on a 70-300 Cannon IS lens, similar to my Friends , he tried his on my camera today and got some nice results.

I have more or less settled on a 70-300 Cannon IS lens

No Prob, my Tamron SP 70-300 VC USD (from an over the top amount of research) scored pretty much identically from reviews and comparison. The Tamron is just alot cheaper and comes with lens hood where as canon hoods you need buy separately.

Again...all comes down to your budget. Canon is probably a slightly nicer feel to it when using, other than that same picture results.

Given the option if both were on a table in front of me and same price, i'd take the Canon. but they're not the same price :P

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I thought tamaron only did nikon lenses. Where is the best place in dublin to get tamarom lenses. My local camera shop doesnt have any.

not sure but if you have any business connection (someone with a pixmania-pro account, they are going cheap on a deal)

Advertisement