Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with old computer?

Options
  • 27-05-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I have an old CTX color monitor computer at home. Whenever I try to turn it on it keeps flashing No Signal Input on the screen. Does anyone know what this means?, or can anything be done to fix it? I'm not great on the techy stuff so simple language..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

when you say it is coming up no signal is it actually attached to a computer and what type of computer new or old
    basically give us as much detail as you can about brands, type of computer, connections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to graphics settings,graphics card adaptor refresh rate,
    set to 50mhz,
    pc graphics refresh rate maybe
    too high for old monitor.
    What pc have u got, eg dell 560t , what operating system windows xp,7 ,vista ?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/311403
    Turn on pc ,
    or press f8 every 3 seconds until a menu appears safe mode,
    SELECT vga mode ,use up,down , enter keys to choose vga mode .
    Windows will now load in low res 1024 x768 or 800x680 resolution screen mode .

Standard Pc grahics display card vga out is set to 60 or 75 mhz refresh rate ,
    older monitors have 50 or 60 max refresh rate .
    ON momitor at the back ,is there a label,
    brand name , 220v,power input, then 50 ,or 60, 75 = maximum refresh rate .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

CTX made monitors but I don't recall them ever making PCs.

"No Signal" means it's not getting input from a computer but don't worry, you're not the only one who doesn't understand that.
    Check that everything is plugged in and that both the monitor and the computer are switched on.

More info would be useful but basically the part where the keyboard and mouse (if any) and the monitor are connected is normally the computer, you need to turn this an as well as the monitor.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

riclad wrote: »
    ON momitor at the back ,is there a label,
    brand name , 220v,power input, then 50 ,or 60, 75 = maximum refresh rate .

No it does not. The frequency beside the voltage rating is the frequency of the mains supply feeding the device and has nothing to do with the refresh rate of the monitor.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I would guess it has a little bit. In the olden days, the refresh rate on PAL devices was half the wall socket HZ (25/50), same for NTSC(30/60).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Take a look at the end of the cable that would connect to the PC. Are any of the pins damaged on the end of that cable?

Advertisement