Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do PAL UK PS1 games work on PAL IE consoles?

Options
  • 27-05-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm planning on buying some PS1 games from amazon.co.uk and I was wondering if they would run on an Irish console. Also, would Irish games run on a UK console?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The ones I've bought and played in my PS3 do anyway. AFAIK Ireland the the UK were considered the same region.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Yep, there is no difference in the games sold in Ireland and the UK.

In fact, there are only a few regions in general for these games, Europe as a whole used the PAL format for its encoding. So go nuts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 v074

Thanks.

Is it the same for PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Same for all consoles. NTSC is US, PAL is EU and I forget the Japanese one. That isn't comprehensive but hits a general rule.

Think PS4 is region free anyways

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's usually three regions for games, PAL which is European, Then there's NTSC US for America and NTSC JAP for japan. For PS1 and PS2 games the region of your console will need to match the game. So a european PS1 or PS2 game will only work on a european console. For PS3 and PS4 games they are all region free with the only exception being Persona 4 Arena that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

RedXIV wrote: »
    Europe as a whole used the PAL format for its encoding. So go nuts! :)

France used SECAM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Edit: I need to read the post correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I've got a copy of You Don't Know Jack from America, and I don't think it was ever released here, and that works fine in the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Playstation 3 games are region free. The same wasn't true with Playstation or Playstation 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS3 itself will play PAL or NTSC PS1 and PS2 games. The NTSC versions run at a higher frame rate and play better than the PAL versions.

The PS3 itself will play PAL or NTSC PS1 and PS2 games. The NTSC versions run at a higher frame rate and play better than the PAL versions.

No actually PS1 and PS2 games are region locked and won't work. Now if you buy them from the US store then they will work on a PAL console and your European account (and run at the correct speed and framerate unlike the European store games) but physical games are blocked when they are PS1 or PS2.

So, if I pre-ordered Star Wars: Battlefront from Amazon UK, would I be able to use network features (e.g. play online)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

v074 wrote: »
    So, if I pre-ordered Star Wars: Battlefront from Amazon UK, would I be able to use network features (e.g. play online)?

Yes, but if you need to buy any DLC you would have to buy it off the UK PSN.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Yes, but if you need to buy any DLC you would have to buy it off the UK PSN.

I bought Dying Light from Amazon and the DLC from the Irish store and it worked fine. From what I can tell we are lumped in with UK for DLC even though we don't share the same PSN store.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I bought Dying Light from Amazon and the DLC from the Irish store and it worked fine. From what I can tell we are lumped in with UK for DLC even though we don't share the same PSN store.

I am learned.

When it comes to DLC it is generally accepted that games imported from the US and Canada won't work with DLC bought from the Irish PSN but it does depend on the game in question.

The Witcher 3 for example, has cross country support for DLCs added in with patch V1.02, it's in the patch release notes on the console. Handy to know.

Advertisement