Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking home-made potato chips

Options
  • 28-05-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why my home made chips turn brown quickly while cooking in the deep-fat fryer ?

I peel the potatoes , cut them same as take-away chips , and dry them in kitchen towel.

180 degrees for few minutes and then give the oil a minute to re-heat .

Dip them in again for about 30 seconds , but they go very brown quickly .

How can I cook them like the take-away bag of chips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Is the oil new or old?

If I do homemade chips, I do them in the oven after parboiling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

180 seems a little bit chilly. Try again at 220. Hot and fast are the way for decent chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

are they gone brown before the second dip?

some spuds aren't great for chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

are they gone brown before the second dip?

some spuds aren't great for chips

Very good point. Roosters work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

I believe chips from shop are pre-coocked slightly with a steam or in boiling water, then cooled and packed. Not a raw when packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Cook your potatoes first in steam or water them fry them in clean oil for 3-5 mins have fryer at 200`

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

syklops wrote: »
    180 seems a little bit chilly. Try again at 220. Hot and fast are the way for decent chips.

I think she is doing a double fry, 180 for a few mins then a second dip at 220ish
    (OP the second dip should be hotter)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Most likely too much starch in the potatoes. I usually do the following to make really crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside chips. After cutting the chips soak them in water for 10 minutes+ to get rid of some of the starch. I then part cook in oil at 140 degrees for about 5 minutes. Of course the time depends on the thickness of the chip but I usually cut to about chipper size. I then take them out while the oil heats to 180,then I put them back in to finish.

If you don't like the idea of part cooking in oil you could always boil or steam instead although I don't think they turn out as crispy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nicol wrote: »
    Most likely too much starch in the potatoes.
    Thats what I was always told & read. Chippers will have the chips steeping in water.

I think sugars can do it too, and some types of potatoes will have more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

So this evening it was Roosters , and we rinsed them in cold water a few times , and left them steep in it for about 20 minutes .

This time heated the DF fryer to 170 ( this one goes to maximum 190 )

Dried the chips well and cooked them at 170 for few minutes .

Let the oil heat again and re-cooked them for another 2 minutes at 190 degrees .- They kept their colour and didn't go brown at all .

Had near to perfect take-away chips , delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Starch is the enemy of the fried chip!

Advertisement