Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing a chives bed

Options
  • 28-05-2015 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Most of the chives have become damaged due to wind damage and some have become too woody etc etc - basically, the problem is that I did not thin out the roots during the winter / autumn, as I had intended.

If I were to cut them back to ground level at this stage, would that produce some fresh new growth??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Maidhci wrote: »
    Most of the chives have become damaged due to wind damage and some have become too woody etc etc - basically, the problem is that I did not thin out the roots during the winter / autumn, as I had intended.

If I were to cut them back to ground level at this stage, would that produce some fresh new growth??

Not sure if all do but some make an underground rhizome that will come back year after year.

We save the seed and replant each year to get tender plants for eating and to change position to avoid bugs and poor soil . They are easy to grow from seed so no need to try and save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

iainBB wrote: »
    Not sure if all do but some make an underground rhizome that will come back year after year.

We save the seed and replant each year to get tender plants for eating and to change position to avoid bugs and poor soil . They are easy to grow from seed so no need to try and save it.

Thanks iainBB - Presumably, you allow some of them to flower and collect the seeds after flowering? When is the best time to sow, is it autumn or spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks iainBB - Presumably, you allow some of them to flower and collect the seeds after flowering? When is the best time to sow, is it autumn or spring?

Spring and summer for outside sowing. we do them in autumn in the Polly tunnel for over winter
    keep sowing like lettuce every two weeks.

Ya we leave a few to go to seeds each year no big issue we gets tons of seeds and free plants for life that gets better each year for our micro climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I divide mine every year. I've just done it again there last month. They are so hardy, they can take most treatments. I know from cutting them for use though, that the cut leaf does not come back again.

Advertisement