Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from Saggart to Blackrock - No idea where to start...

Options
  • 28-05-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Anyone able to advise on transport from Saggart (accommodation is directly opposite the last Luas Red Line stop) going to Elite Fitness in Blackrock. (Apparently they are 10 minutes walking distance from bus stop or 15 minutes walking distance from DART station).

What would be the quickest/easist option in the morning (not too concerned about getting back in the evening) but have to be there by 9am in the morning, taking in all transport, waiting times and walking times.

Not looking for the cheapest option either, just haven't a clue about buses/luas/dart etc and haven't a notion where I'm going.

I take it a taxi would be out of the question in rush hour for any part of the trip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

You can get the luas to Connolly station and then a dart to blackrock, you are looking at close to 2 hr travel time (1hr on the luas, 15-20min transfer time, 30-40mins on dart)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

saggart26 wrote: »
    You can get the luas to Connolly station and then a dart to blackrock, you are looking at close to 2 hr travel time (1hr on the luas, 15-20min transfer time, 30-40mins on dart)

2 hours! God!....It's only for 2 weeks, I'll have to just get on with it. The LUAS website is down on certain pages, I've been trying it all morning. You wouldn't happen to know whats the first departure time from Saggart. I'd nearly take the earliest one going to give myself enough time.

I also googled the travel time from Saggart to Blackrock and it said 30 minutes via the M50, would a taxi be an option at all do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

site seems to be up.

>> FROM Saggart TO Belgard

Monday - Friday
    5:40am to 11:50pm

Saturday
    6:40am to 11:50pm

Sunday & Bk Hol.
    7:10am to 10:50pm

>> Last tram FROM The Point TO Saggart

Monday - Saturday
    Midnight

Sunday
    11:00pm

TAXI from Saggart to Blackrock via the M50 is probably 40-50e

Thanks for that. I kept getting an ext error or something on any page other than the homepage. What do you think would be the better option:

Get the Luas into Connolly and get the DART or get the Luas to (somewhere) and get the bus? As the bus station seems to be closer to the location than the DART station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Luas to Tallaght, 75 to Dún Laoighre, Dart to Blackrock

65b from City West to Terenure, 17 from Terenure to Blackrock

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/65b2/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-Route-17/

There is no easy way to get to Blackrock via Saggart on public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

You could try the Luas to Rialto and then the 17 Bus to Blackrock either?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-Route-17/

You could try the Luas to Rialto and then the 17 Bus to Blackrock either?

I would, two changes is better than three. How long roughly do you think this would take me?

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Luas to Tallaght, 75 to Dún Laoighre, Dart to Blackrock

65b from City West to Terenure, 17 from Terenure to Blackrock

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/65b2/

There is no easy way to get to Blackrock via Saggart on public transport.

Thanks for that. Would I be looking at about 2 hours all in for both of those options aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

65b to Terenure and 17 buse best option. Straight from saggart to blackrock one change and no doubling back on route

google thinks 65b and then dart from tara street in 1hr 17mins is fastest
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.2856507,-6.4217826/Blackrock,+Ireland/@53.3133484,-6.3746677,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x486708c0d4a91e95:0x2600c7a819b930f1!2m2!1d-6.1770668!2d53.300791!3e3

[removed post]

Yes I'm tempted by the Luas as it's right outside where I'll be staying and I always presume it's more comfortable than the bus (would I be right in that)?

Do you know if the 45 minute drive would be a complicated drive? I've never driven in Dublin, if I hired a car would that be a bonkers idea do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's not bonkers at all, if you can get a good deal on a car rental. Bonkers would be spending 4 plus hours a day on public transport, when there are other options. It would be less than half that if you drove. The time of day would make a difference to driving time though.

It's not a complicated route....N7 to M50 southbound, get off at the N31, cross over the Stillorgan Rd & its a straight shoot down Newtown Park Avenue to Blackrock village. There is probably a back way to go, that may be a bit quicker, but I'd stick to the main roads until you have a better feel of the route. Plug your starting and ending points into Google maps and it will show you the route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Can you drive? Could you hire a car?

It'd be much more cost and time effective I'd say.

Plus parking outside EFPA is only €5/day if you park in the DL zone on Brookfield Terrace.

Hanley wrote: »

Plus parking outside EFPA is only €5/day if you park in the DL zone on Brookfield Terrace.

I can drive, have my full licence nearly two years but I've only ever driven in Sligo (Galway once and that was stressful for me). I'm a bit apprehensive at the prospect of driving around Dublin but I'm sure if I did it once I'd be ok.

What would be reasonable in car hire for two weeks and what would I be looking at petrol wise do you think. I'd have to pick up the car on the Sunday and return in on the following Friday (13 days roughly).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think you need to have your licence at least two years to hire a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Might be cheaper to find somewhere to stay in Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I don't know how long it would take but you could try:

Red line to Jervis
    Walk to Stephen's green
    Luas to Sandyford
    114 bus to Blackrock.

Probably take ages though..

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Why are you staying so far away from Blackrock?

Believe me, I have tried! Unbelievably expensive for the last two weeks of July. The person I am going to be staying with doesn't want anything!

tina1040 wrote: »
    Why are you staying so far away from Blackrock?

I have looked at every B&B and hotel on that side of town and I cannot find anything that is reasonable for two weeks, other than dumps and I'm not prepared to stay in one.

My accommodation in Saggart is free and it's a beautiful home as well but I know I have to weigh that up in comparison to all the commuting involved.

spurious wrote: »
    I think you need to have your licence at least two years to hire a car.

Damn! I'm email around a few and find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

This site should really be more widely known.
    Covers all public transport in Dublin
    Www.hittheroad.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Try the NTA Journey Planner - this will answer most of your questions

http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I can drive, have my full licence nearly two years but I've only ever driven in Sligo (Galway once and that was stressful for me). I'm a bit apprehensive at the prospect of driving around Dublin but I'm sure if I did it once I'd be ok.

What would be reasonable in car hire for two weeks and what would I be looking at petrol wise do you think. I'd have to pick up the car on the Sunday and return in on the following Friday (13 days roughly).

I can weigh in a little bit on this! I learned to drive and got my licence in Sligo too, had about two years experience also before I tackled Dublin. Not gonna lie, it's crazy stressful compared to driving anywhere around Sligo and it takes a bit of getting used to. One of the hardest aspects can just be that you don't know where you're going due to unfamiliar roads so you're trying to work all that out (still hard even with a GPS) while also keeping an eye out for all the different lanes and signs and cars etc. etc. Once you know the route it gets a lot easier. So if you do go for the driving option I would advise doing a few practice runs and also perhaps with a second pair of eyes in the car who can assist you with directions or figuring out what lane you're meant to be in. You'll be grand after that and could just concentrate on watching other cars for your commute.

Driving in Sligo is an absolute doddle compared to Dublin but you get used to it pretty fast so if you find a good deal on renting a car I'd definitely give it serious consideration as a viable option for the two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

First of all - use the national journey planner at www.a-b.ie or the journey planner app for smartphones - it will give you sound advice and realistic journey times.

The best option is to go via the city centre using LUAS and DART, as unfortunately the orbital buses do get stuck in traffic at peak times.

I would suggest the following if you are travelling at peak times:

1) LUAS Saggart to Abbey Street (50 minutes)
    (Note - do not go to Connolly due to a long walk and unnecessary doubling back)

2) Walk to Tara Street Station (6 minutes)

3) DART to Blackrock (14 minutes)

4) Walk to Elite Fitness (12 minutes)

That's a total of 1 hour 22 minutes, so roughly 90 minutes each way, rather than 2 hours.

Download the realtime information apps also to assist you to see when trains/trams are due to avoid unnecessary waiting.

Hanley wrote: »

Do you know if there is plenty of parking in that zone? I don't want to have to be worrying about parking as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cycle? Or B&B on Northside close to DART? (Clontarf or similar).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Do you know if there is plenty of parking in that zone? I don't want to have to be worrying about parking as well.

Yeah you'll usually get some there alright.

I think Air B and B is actually your best bet.

You could get somewhere within walking distance of EFPA for €30-40/night.

B&B/Hotels are always going to be insanely pricey.

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/Dublin--Blackrock--Ireland?checkin=20-07-2015&checkout=31-07-2015&source=bb&ss_id=u1370wuj

I'd say 10-15 per day in petrol, plus 5-8 in parking AND loads of travel time, never mind the cost of the car, means you'd actually net out at about the same, or better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

You can get there in less than 1 hr. Get Luas to Tallaght and cycle... it's only 10 miles. Would take you about 30-40 min cycle, it's for free and less stressing than driving a car. You will contribute to your health and won't have any waiting time. Especially that it's only for two weeks.

That's what I'd do anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

evilberry wrote: »
    You can get there in less than 1 hr. Get Luas to Tallaght and cycle... it's only 10 miles. Would take you about 30-40 min cycle, it's for free and less stressing than driving a car. You will contribute to your health and won't have any waiting time. Especially that it's only for two weeks.

That's what I'd do anyways :)

There's no way you'll do Tallaght to Blackrock in half an hour by bike, especially if you've never cycled before and don't know the city. Honestly you'd be looking at more like 75-80 minutes I'd say and that's one way, quite hilly going back.

• Advertisement

There's no way you'll do Tallaght to Blackrock in half an hour by bike, especially if you've never cycled before and don't know the city. Honestly you'd be looking at more like 75-80 minutes I'd say and that's one way, quite hilly going back.

That's what I thought. I never cycle in Sligo, I don't think now would be a good time to start cycling in Dublin

Advertisement