Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert English Help!

Options
  • 28-05-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

For the poetry question (poems you do in class) my teacher said to not do Midterm break by Heaney as it's overused & more of an ordinary level poem (I do higher)... Is this true? I feel as if this is the poem I know best and I could easily quote and write about it...
    Also, I was wondering how many poems I should know with different themes.basically all the poems we've done in class were Heaney & they pretty much all involved death or childhood memories etc (early purges, midterm break, blackberry picking) I also did a war poem but that's it.... Will I be covered with this? or should I learn some myself? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

Kbvdpo wrote: »
    For the poetry question (poems you do in class) my teacher said to not do Midterm break by Heaney as it's overused & more of an ordinary level poem (I do higher)... Is this true? I feel as if this is the poem I know best and I could easily quote and write about it...
    Also, I was wondering how many poems I should know with different themes.basically all the poems we've done in class were Heaney & they pretty much all involved death or childhood memories etc (early purges, midterm break, blackberry picking) I also did a war poem but that's it.... Will I be covered with this? or should I learn some myself? Thanks

I know it may sound a bit risky but for my junior cert last year I only prepared one poem for the exam. Dulce et Decroum Est (war poem). I literally knew this poem inside out. I was lucky for both the mocks and the junior cert and I was able to use it for both and actually got an A in the real thing. You will normally be always given a positive and negative theme to deal with in relation to the poetry question. I had studied this poem enough so I could use it for any negatively related theme. If you have the time I'd focus on two poems- one like dulce et decorum est (Midterm Break would probably also work in this instance- once the quality of your answer is good enough I don't think the popularity of the poem would have any influence over your grade) and another more lighthearted poem which you could link to a more positive theme that could come up. Good luck!

Advertisement