Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New card or hold?

Options
  • 28-05-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭

The Witcher 3 has finally made me look at my over 4 year old 6970 in an unfavourable light but I was hoping to hold off on getting something closer to when the Oculus Rift comes out.
    So should I get a 970 now or wait for the new cards that are just around the corner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How poorly is it handling TW? I'd wait for the new R300s myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm on medium settings and getting around 30 fps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

AMD & Nvidia are releasing cards in the next week-390x & 980ti-the next few weeks could see a shake up in pricing for 970's etc. so well worth holding off if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

glynf wrote: »
    AMD & Nvidia are releasing cards in the next week-390x & 980ti-the next few weeks could see a shake up in pricing for 970's etc. so well worth holding off if you can.

How likely would you say that is and if so, how much do they usually drop by? I've got a component list for my first build together and was going to order next week. My GPU was going to be a GTX960 because I can't afford a GTX970 - so if this is true then maybe I can wait too.

Hard to call it, depends on how the new cards perform and AMD are apparently renaming a lot of their existing cards, so some decent bargains may be had with retailers moving older stock. IIRC the prices of the R9 series dropped when 780 ti & 970/980 were announced as well.

Not sure that Nvidia will drop the price of the 970 much..the 980ti is in a different pricing segment plus they seem to be selling sh!t loads of them anyway..defo worth waiting a few weeks.

• Advertisement

glynf wrote: »
    Hard to call it, depends on how the new cards perform and AMD are apparently renaming a lot of their existing cards[/URL], so some decent bargains may be had with retailers moving older stock. IIRC the prices of the R9 series dropped when 780 ti & 970/980 were announced as well.

Not sure that Nvidia will drop the price of the 970 much..the 980ti is in a different pricing segment plus they seem to be selling sh!t loads of them anyway..defo worth waiting a few weeks.

Quite impatient though, hah. I'd have to see a dacyent drop on a GTX960 to make it worth it. Maybe enough of one that I can put what I save into upgrading my planned i5-4570 to something overclockable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Wouldn't be a massive drop. I say wait. As painful as it might be, you are better off saving up and getting a 970 or above in a month or two if you are serious about the Oculus Rift. They released the recommended specs for that being a GTX 970 or R9 280X.

Yeah wait I'd say, second hand market will jump in a few weeks

Yeah wait I'd say, second hand market will jump in a few weeks

I know two tidy EVGA 780's with 12 months warranty left that will be on adverts in a few weeks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Basic benchmarks to go with that incredibly subtle *wink wink nudge nudge* from glynf there.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1036?vs=1355

Damn close. Will probably power the Rift just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What's your budget?

If you buy the cutting edge stuff, then obviously seeing the new cards is the best bet. If you are looking into the €500-€650 mark.

If your like me and can't justify that sort of pricing, you can probably hope for maybe a price drop on the GTX 970 and the R9 290's. They retail at the moment at €360+, so I'm not sure there will be a significant price drop (Price taken from UK sites factoring in **** Euro and retailer hikes, and I don't shop HWVS)

Where the big shake up will come is the second hand market. Mentioned a few times the card I got last week, and that price would probably still even look smashing on the new cards release.

The 980 release caused a flood of 970's to the uk second hand market, so I'd imagine there will be a lot of R9 290's knocking about and GTX970's in the coming weeks.

Adverts has some good **** if you can snap them up quickly and haggle a little, but the UK second hand market seems the best. Currency conversion isn't the best, but you can still get some top deals.

If you were planning to get a GTX970 I'd hold off and look at the new R9's. To be fair you can probably buy a 300 brand at the price you pay for some GTX970's. The better regarded brands are priced at €400 at the moment, which would be I guess a silly investment at that price bracket with new ones coming out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

OP, waiting is never a valid option.

The moment the 300 series come out, people will be saying to wait for the 400s, and so on and so forth.

Get the best you can afford, and don't wait for it, because moores law does not stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

CruelCoin wrote: »
    OP, waiting is never a valid option.

The moment the 300 series come out, people will be saying to wait for the 400s, and so on and so forth.

Get the best you can afford, and don't wait for it, because moores law does not stop.

Waiting is an option when both the R9 3xx series and GTX 980 TI will be launched within the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Kotaku has benchmarks up for the 980ti:

http://kotaku.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review-overkill-without-exce-1708141306

Looks like a tidy card just need to see what AMD produce now.

Komplett have put a listing up for an MSI version - €850. Haven't seen a ti listing on other sites yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

JD1763 wrote: »
    Kotaku has benchmarks up for the 980ti:

http://kotaku.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review-overkill-without-exce-1708141306

Looks like a tidy card just need to see what AMD produce now.

Komplett have put a listing up for an MSI version - €850. Haven't seen a ti listing on other sites yet.

dabs have a few of them up for order prices start at 780 euro

http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,graphics--tv-tuners-and-i-o,graphics-cards/11137?q=980ti

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

They are retailing the 980 TI's for $650 in America. Is it the VAT that gives us the near €200 extra price tag?

Hm...realize the card I was recommended isn't the regular MSI GTX 960 it's a GTX 960 gaming 100me - seems to have a different fan but it's only got 2GB Video Memory (rather than 4). Should I just go with a regular GTX 960 or consider something else in that price range altogether? Not very clued in about the difference between different specs, and this will be my first build. No matter what parts I swap around, I can't seem to get a GTX970 to fit my budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MagTuired wrote: »
    Hm...realize the card I was recommended isn't the regular MSI GTX 960 it's a GTX 960 gaming 100me - seems to have a different fan but it's only got 2GB Video Memory (rather than 4). Should I just go with a regular GTX 960 or consider something else in that price range altogether? Not very clued in about the difference between different specs, and this will be my first build. No matter what parts I swap around, I can't seem to get a GTX970 to fit my budget.

Maybe hold off for a few days and see if they drop the price of them a bit to fall in line with the new cards

Single screen 1080p gaming is unlikely to require 4gb, 2gb should be loads. By the time you get to the €250 range of the 4gb card, the R9 280x is a better option

Single screen 1080p gaming is unlikely to require 4gb, 2gb should be loads. By the time you get to the €250 range of the 4gb card, the R9 280x is a better option

Grand! Yeah, I'd rather not wait and just go for that so. I suppose it's miles ahead of my Asus 56V's GeForce GT 650M either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement