Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling without PoE letter

• 28-05-2015 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey guys,

A friend and I travelling to Toronto on Monday without our PoE letters. We submitted our CIC over 4 weeks ago.

I've read some horror stories of people being refused entry without their letter. So our plan was to just say we're on holiday for a few weeks and then activate our PoE's at US border when they do come through.

Anyone have any experience with this or have some advice on the best approach?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 canada9999

I travelled to Toronto (via St. John's) a week ago without my PoE and had no problems. I had a one way ticket, but booked a return flight about 6 hours before my flight with Westjet—the ticket can be cancelled within 24hrs for a full refund, which is what I did once I had gotten through border control, or if you buy a Plus fair it can be cancelled at any time after 24hrs for a 50 dollar fee. I booked the return ticket because I'd read some horror stories of people being refused boarding at their airport of departure when only holding a one way ticket and travelling as a tourist. My return flight was 5-6 weeks later, and at border control I stated that I was travelling as a tourist to visit my girlfriend (who's a native of Toronto). I'd recommend buying the return ticket because, as stated, if you travel as a tourist with a one way ticket you could conceivably be refused boarding in Dublin, nevermind any problems you might have at the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SeeKay10

Thanks so much! That definitely seems like the best option to go with. I have an airbnb for a month anyway so I'll book for the date that expires. My main fear was that they might have the "pending application" on file or something which obviously wasn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You definitely need a return ticket if you are trying to enter as a tourist. You may also need to show that you have enough funds to support yourself.

Advertisement