Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper and Toll Roads

Options
  • 28-05-2015 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a Bongo or similar as a second vehicle (to my motorcycle) and was wondering what the tolls classify it as - a car or a van?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a Bongo or similar as a second vehicle (to my motorcycle) and was wondering what the tolls classify it as - a car or a van?

If its privately registered and taxed and has 9 or less seats including driver it should be same as a car. If its camper registered it should go on car toll also but there are a couple of companies that get it wrong passdirect get our wrong everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have a 5 berth Ducato based motorhome, and the toll boots on the M3 and M4 charge car rate. Seems they know something that the Registration and VTN don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

6 berth Peugeot boxer based motorhome, always get charged the car rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tolls are the least of your problems they drink diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Should be car rate.
    Tolls are funny though. I went through the Limerick/Shannon one in a small car based van... Paid the same as a large van. Which is nicely more than car. Went through it in my old Range Rover classic, with a trailer and rally car on tow. And was charged car rate!

• Advertisement

They'll do you a car rate if you flash them the camper tax disk. If it's an automated booth you can stick the car fee in the machine and sit there wittering until they pick you up on the microphone and the barrier opens like magic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Never charged other than as a car for Hymer TCL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have a 5 berth Ducato based motorhome, and the toll boots on the M3 and M4 charge car rate. Seems they know something that the Registration and VTN don't!
    I think I read somewhere once that the car rate was negotiated by one (or more) of the motorhome clubs?

Advertisement