Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we catch atlantic salmon on 6 lb line?

Options
  • 28-05-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Can we catch salmon on 6 lb line while spinning. I just got my salmon and sea trout licence today so I can fish for them legally im just wondering will 6 lb line be good enough. One more question would a flying c catch a sea trout?

Thanks,
    Olwas2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Small Mepps good for sea trout/brown trout. Flying C best for salmon. WIll it take a seatrout? Probably though I haven't seen it.
    6lb line would be light if you are targeting salmon particularly. 10lb/12lb should be fine, 15lb if you're fishing in a big flow of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Can we catch salmon on 6 lb line while spinning. I just got my salmon and sea trout licence today so I can fish for them legally im just wondering will 6 lb line be good enough. One more question would a flying c catch a sea trout?

Thanks,
    Olwas2014

No 6lb wouldn't work for 9lbers plus, haven't you guys just started fishing? I wouldn't try 6lb line and I've been fishing for 10 years it's just too risky and there's a risk the salmon would break the line after a few minutes thus the fish could die, if and I mean if I would only try that in drought conditions like last year which I only used 10lb line, now you could get lucky and hook one and bring him in but you'd have to soooo careful I wouldn't risk it as the fish could die if it breaks the line when nearing the net because they fight so much, and being p*ssed off about losing one or snapping the line! a flying c would catch sea trout but it's a more preferred salmon bait

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Thank you so much for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I have caught numerous salmon on 5lb maxima worm fishing but its not easy and can end in disaster with one wrong move

I use 12lb for salmon and have yet to snap in a fish my biggest was about 15lb

In right conditions a sea trout would take a flying c but id prefer a mepps or small rapala or better yet a fly at night

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

All thats been said is sound advice. rocks and snags damage lines in rivers so 10lb is a minimum. but if you wish to be extra stealthy try using a 3ft length of flourocarbon as a leader to the lure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

last year i caught a 6lb salmon on 6lb line : ) i was flyfishing for trout and just got lucky. if i was fishing for salmon i would use 10 or 12 pound line to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Olwas, i think we will all have examples of landing big fish on gear that, on paper, shouldn't have happened. I landed a 5.5lb salmon before on 4lb leader and a 7.5 foot fly rod. That came down to about 10% skill and 90% luck.

A responsible angler will try to take out the luck part of the equation and try to ensure they have the gear to cope with the species being targeted. You don't want a situation where a fish is left dragging a trace, fly leader, big spinner around, which will end up being it's ultimate downfall.

Advertisement