Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep fit?

Options
  • 28-05-2015 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey!

So I find myself only being able to ride every other weekend when I get back home to Cork(I live and work in Dublin)

Currently I am trying to save money so forking out 30/40 quid for lessons every week just isn't a feasible way to keep saddle fit.

I have tried running but I just get so bored and lazy to it, I do yoga some days to keep supple but when I get back to the horses my fitness levels just aren't keeping up with the level I want to ride at :(

Is this a hopeless task, is the only way to keep saddle fit to ride most days or does anyone have some tips that could help me and many others I am sure?

Thanks!
    Emma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've found running has really worked well for me - I'd run between 6k and 7k 2-3 times per week, and even though I still felt like dying, my fitness had massively improved.

Cycling is meant to be great for strengthening and toning leg muscles, so you could try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Kettlebells is great especially for leg strength you could combine with pilates \ yoga

Presumably your budget means that a gym membership is out of the question?

Squats, sit-ups and jogging should be perfectly sufficient, although this is also good for those adductor muscles you'll need to keep toned (two sets of ten or fifteen):

hipadductor-500.jpg?itok=OsPUCVhF

Personally, I haven't been to the gym in almost two months :o but I find that jogging and squats keep me fit, even if the latter provokes some bewildered stares from colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I find the following the best way to keep fit as a horse rider:

1. Pilates - develops core muscles, strengthens lower back muscles and opens up hips which I really struggle with
    2. Cycling - work them legs!!
    3. If you can afford it, circuit training is the business! Great way to build up fitness across all dimensions! A lot of places do drop in, so could be worth looking into.

Other than that, I also find swimming to be really helpful.

In terms of things that are free/cost effective - I would look into getting a DVD - the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (of Biggest Loser) is amazing as it makes you super fit and toned! And cycling of course - as you should be able to get a bike on Bike to Work Scheme, or Dublin Bikes is also a cost effective way to cycle.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I find running helps as well. If you join one of the Fit4Life clubs you will make friends on the run so wont be as boring. We do about 10K a week over two nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Thanks for all the great advice! Glad to see it is not a lost cause :)

Think I will go with the running and maybe Pilates!

Advertisement