Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disinfecting tackle for Iceland

Options
  • 28-05-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I'm heading away to Iceland for a few days in two weeks. I need to get my fishing tackle disinfected before I head away. Has anyone had this done? I'm in the Dublin area so anywhere local would be handy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

jack01986 wrote: »
    I'm heading away to Iceland for a few days in two weeks. I need to get my fishing tackle disinfected before I head away. Has anyone had this done? I'm in the Dublin area so anywhere local would be handy.

Jack I was there in 2012 for a weeks trout and char fishing. I could not find anywhere in the country that would do this let alone Dublin!

I printed out the docs and brought them into vets and they just did not get it. In the end I just rubbed down my gear with one of the chemicals listed and took my chance walking off the plane.

Apparently they only stop obvious anglers ie those carrying 2 piece/ large rods. Our guide just laughed when we mentioned it "just a scam". He was a total lunatic though...

Good luck , it's some place. If you get a chance try some swff near the main dock area of Rekevic. We caught cod, monster mackerel, pollock etc on our last "night". This would have been June also....

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

whelzer wrote: »
    Jack I was there in 2012 for a weeks trout and char fishing. I could not find anywhere in the country that would do this let alone Dublin!

I printed out the docs and brought them into vets and they just did not get it. In the end I just rubbed down my gear with one of the chemicals listed and took my chance walking off the plane.

Apparently they only stop obvious anglers ie those carrying 2 piece/ large rods. Our guide just laughed when we mentioned it "just a scam". He was a total lunatic though...

Good luck , it's some place. If you get a chance try some swff near the main dock area of Rekevic. We caught cod, monster mackerel, pollock etc on our last "night". This would have been June also....

Thanks for the reply Whelzer. Ye I was speaking to a few different vets and they didn't get it either. I did speak to Inland Fisheries Ireland and they pointed me in the direction of a guy who supplies some of the recommended chemicals so he might be able to sort me out with some disinfecting kits. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

What do you need disinfected exactly? - Everything?

Strange one that!

Any chance of more info on it?

ardinn wrote: »
    What do you need disinfected exactly? - Everything?

Strange one that!

Any chance of more info on it?

Yep pretty much everything. Iceland is very particular about its biosecurity and they don't want to take any chances with bacteria etc.

http://www.mast.is/english/frontpage/import-export/import/fishingequipment

I think they do it in the airport when you get there but they charge for each rod and I've no idea what they'd charge for the waders and boots as well as all of the other gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I think IFI do, or where considering doing, tackle disinfection kits that you could purchase.

I think they were intending to have a product called Virkon, from DuPont, as the main disinfectant. If you can get a hold of Virkon you can do it easily enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=virkon+aquatic&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=26272404771&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8012887235928316923&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9euiui1vtv_e

• Advertisement

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I think IFI do, or where considering doing, tackle disinfection kits that you could purchase.

I think they were intending to have a product called Virkon, from DuPont, as the main disinfectant. If you can get a hold of Virkon you can do it easily enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=virkon+aquatic&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=26272404771&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8012887235928316923&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9euiui1vtv_e

Ye I have a list of the chemicals that are needed and I saw Virkon the only problem is that they want a Vet or someone qualified to sign off on it. I think I've got it sorted now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thinly veiled "I'm going fishing in Iceland, nanana" thread!

:D

I managed to get a kit from Joe Caffrey of Invas Biosecurtiy and it had everything in it that I needed to disinfect the tackle. He was happy to sign the cert for me as well.

www.invasbiosecurity.ie

Even though I did disinfect all the gear there was no one there to check us. We were talking to a group of Norwegian guys and they were stopped.

You know we now expect a 2,000 word report on your trip, complete with extensive photo coverage. Right?! ;)

We had booked two days fishing on the Varma river in Hveragerði which is in the south part of the island. It is mainly a sea trout river but is supposed to have some big brownies and char. As luck would have it we didn't catch a single thing on the river and there was a few guys camped on the best pools the entire day so it was bad timing. We decided to cut our losses and spoke to the guy who booked our fishing for us and he put us on a great little river about another hour from where we had set up camp.

We managed to catch some nice brownies and arctic char on a mix of dry flies and nymphs. For a two day trip it was some awesome fishing. I'll deffo be going back.
    4VAt837.jpg
    enQ17a8.jpg
    hXaNSxX.jpg
    dNFbQr3.jpg
    OUXGiVW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

What kind of money were you talking about jack all in for the trip?

PM sent.

Can you PM me too please? Interested to know...

Sent it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I went in June 2012, had 6 full days fishing, with guide, in a "hut", cooked our own meals (plus his family s outstanding lamb chops!), flew into Heathrow and then on, guide picked us up at airport and dropped us back to Reykjavik - we fished the highlands which was a 4 hour drive away.

Also had two nights in a nice hotel in Reykjavik, did whale watching tour, drinks, meal etc. As the boat was pulling in from the tour - we spotted local kids hauling in huge mackerel - much bigger than ours! Straight back to hotel and grabbed the fly gear - the locals thought we were nuts. But it was one the best fishing sessions I have ever had, as I mentioned above we caught cod, pollock and macks..

All in cost including taxis to and from Dublin airport, tip for the guide was just shy of €2200.... not cheap but some experience, happened across some pics a few nights ago and the video of me with my 7lb+ char!!;)

Advertisement