Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players who would make any team in the country

Options
  • 28-05-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of players outside the heavyweights of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal and KK and Tipp for hurling would start for those counties if they were from there?

From my own knowledge, Donie Kingston of Laois I feel would start for any side in the country. Anyone got any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You might need to define "lesser counties" a bit better, before the trolling begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Lesser counties eh?...

Joe Canning would make any of the top county hurling teams.

Edit: KOH... u beat me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think we did this last year. John Heslin for me at football. I'm excluding some of the monaghan players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gary Brennan in my own county of Clare. Superb player and IMO is good enough for any team in the country.

Good all round athlete, superb fielder, good eye for a point and is a great leader for this Clare team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Gary Brennan-Clare
    Niall McNamee-Offaly
    Michael Quinn-Longford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Emlyn Mulligan - Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Brendan Murphy - Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Conor McManus - Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Seamus Hickey and Shane Dowling of Limerick. As a Kilkennyman, I think this is unfair on our neighbours Tipp though. I'm sure one or two of their players would be good enough to play for a top county lol :-p!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Heslin is the real standout but there are a few others that would catch the eye (I have purposefully only gone for Div 3 & 4 counties from this years league).

Jamie Clarke- Armagh (not a minnow but in Div 3)
    Colin O Riordan - Tipp
    Gary Brennan- Clare
    Brendan Murphy -Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Very Bored wrote: »
    Seamus Hickey and Shane Dowling of Limerick. As a Kilkennyman, I think this is unfair on our neighbours Tipp though. I'm sure one or two of their players would be good enough to play for a top county lol :-p!

Dowling no. Very good free-taker and this leads to him being over-hyped. His contribution from play is not anything spectacular.

Being a very good free taker in and of itself can be worth its weight in gold in a very good team. Very good teams tend to get a lot of frees and if you have someone who can convert the vast majority of them it can be worth an awful lot of points per match. I've heard people say similar things about Shefflin, that it was his ability to get the basics right all the time that made him so powerful. I disagree with that idea regarding Henry. In my opinion, he is the most complete sportsman I have ever seen, but it is not inaccurate to say that one of his strengths was his metronomic ability from frees and other basics. Before I'm torn apart for comparing Dowling to Shefflin, I'm not, I'm just using Henry as an example to highlight a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Being a very good free taker in and of itself can be worth its weight in gold in a very good team. Very good teams tend to get a lot of frees and if you have someone who can convert the vast majority of them it can be worth an awful lot of points per match. I've heard people say similar things about Shefflin, that it was his ability to get the basics right all the time that made him so powerful. I disagree with that idea regarding Henry. In my opinion, he is the most complete sportsman I have ever seen, but it is not inaccurate to say that one of his strengths was his metronomic ability from frees and other basics. Before I'm torn apart for comparing Dowling to Shefflin, I'm not, I'm just using Henry as an example to highlight a point.

True but the top teams already have very good free takers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

We had MJ Tierney in Laois a few years back practically in the team for his free taking alone. Was very overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

robbiezero wrote: »
    Dowling no. Very good free-taker and this leads to him being over-hyped. His contribution from play is not anything spectacular.

:)

We'll see as summer wears on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Darren Hughes,Conor McManus and Colin Walshe would get onto any team in Ireland currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Brendan Murphy - Carlow

Hasn't bothered playing championship for us in the last 2 years. Showed great promise as a minor and at first when he made the Carlow seniors a few years back, but hasn't delivered at all in last 3 years even in Div 4.

I've already said elsewhere that I'm no football expert and that hurling is my game so don't shoot me for asking this question. Also, whilst I am a Cat, my football loyalty lies with my relatives' county of Cavan so don't jump on me for saying Cavan aren't a top county. It would interest me to know though how Cian Mackey would get on were he from a top football county?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I've already said elsewhere that I'm no football expert and that hurling is my game so don't shoot me for asking this question. Also, whilst I am a Cat, my football loyalty lies with my relatives' county of Cavan so don't jump on me for saying Cavan aren't a top county. It would interest me to know though how Cian Mackey would get on were he from a top football county?

He was playing serious stuff a couple of years ago, was nominated for an all star and probably a bit unlucky not to get one. He's been injured a lot since then and hasn't got back to that form.

Killian Clarke is a super footballer imo, there's not many county teams he wouldn't get on. He pulled his hamstring a few weeks ago and missed the game last week unfortunately.

tanko wrote: »
    He was playing serious stuff a couple of years ago, was nominated for an all star and probably a bit unlucky not to get one. He's been injured a lot since then and hasn't got back to that form.

Killian Clarke is a super footballer imo, there's not many county teams he wouldn't get on. He pulled his hamstring a few weeks ago and missed the game last week unfortunately.

Thank-you, as I said I don't follow football nearly as closely as hurling so its interesting to get the perspective of someone who is far more clued up than I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Colm O'Neill from Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Ben Brosnan - Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nib wrote: »
    Ben Brosnan - Wexford

Not even nearly as good as Ciaran Lyng. Another one overhyped due to free taking imo. He is not even the best forward in intermediate club football in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Laoislion8383

Me I would get on any cricket team in the country hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Il give wee Fermanagh a plug with Sean Quigley although I still maintain his brother Seamus on his day is better

Both strong powerful lads who can take scores from places others wouldn't even dream off shooting from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Il give wee Fermanagh a plug with Sean Quigley although I still maintain his brother Seamus on his day is better

Both strong powerful lads who can take scores from places others wouldn't even dream off shooting from

Sweet mother of divine- no!

Advertisement