Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So now that I have this game via EA Access (trial), when I get the game on release day, will I not have to worry about waiting on any further installation or downloads? (minus a possible day-one patch)
    Much different to the demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Have mine downloading now. Hopefully it done when I'm home from training tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

MD1990 wrote: »
    Much different to the demo?

Quicker than the demo. Defending is a little tighter too and I find the keepers come out a lot more to punch the ball away

Played my first game on Access, didn't play the demo.

Found myself getting annoyed with it in the very first game.

The littlest amount of changes that could justify a new title, sure its not exactly like 15 but it was clearly never going to the exact same... But its the smallest change for a title yet.
    Similar to a numbered edition and a WC/Euros game.

Getting stung with a 90min loss didn't do much to help matters(don't think I ever lost my first online game before) but I was seriously underwhelmed even before that.

Will be getting PES by the looks of things and might pick up FIFA down the line when PES wears thin. Just know if I get this at release ill be sick of it by November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Is there no physical PC release for this? I've tried googling it but I'm still not sure..

• Advertisement

Wow, got the EA access trial and I hate it!!

First fifa since 08 I wont buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Why, may I ask? I think the trial is superior to the demo and is almost on par with pes.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Why, may I ask? I think the trial is superior to the demo and is almost on par with pes.

I dont know mate.

I liked the demo but think they just put the speed up too much or something.

I only really play the cpu tbh but just not feeling it.

08 was actually decent enough, was underrated by most as we were all coming from PES on the PS2.

I got it in the summer after PES got stale and loved it.

I think the same is happening again this year, a full generation later.

Hopefully this year shows EA the changes they made since FIFA 14 have failed and they revolutionise the series again and come back with big changes next year.
    13 was a great game and they needlessly ruined all that was good about it leading into 14 but kept the bad like lofted balls and other countless year after year issues.

I think the majority of us just want good football games, we don't care what brand it is, and if we can get two even better.
    Not having a competitor the past few years wouldn't help to innovate as much as PES had the previous generation.

Lets hope this gen becomes about BOTH good football games and not one who's always so far behind the other can get away with little innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Thank god I got the ea access trial because it just confirms what I had originally thought. This game is very poor. Ultimate team, other than the draft, is so boring. That's all I used to play on it but it's no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Colemania wrote: »
    Thank god I got the ea access trial because it just confirms what I had originally thought. This game is very poor. Ultimate team, other than the draft, is so boring. That's all I used to play on it but it's no good.

Oh dear. Playing PES at the moment and really enjoying it but there is some sheen that FIFA gives you that is very obviously missing.

Already missing Martin Tyler and Alan Smith (commentary is abysmal on PES) but general gameplay really good.

What makes you think it so poor can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm quite enjoying it. The fact that I've already used up my 10 hours of trial is probably a testement to that. There are a lot of positives.

No more pace abuse or over the top through balls completely changes how its played. There is actual build up play now. This doesnt sound like a big deal but if you play online, it is.

Its very easy to intercept a loose pass.....and first time passes tend to be loose. You will notice online in your first few games that you both concede possession to each other 5 times in about 5 seconds back and forth....and thats the old muscle memory/training from previous football games. Tapping pass as soon as your player gets the ball is going to see you lose it.

Initially it might seem frustrating but its actually a good thing. It places a premium on playing smart....and not playing "playstation" football.

Shooting is more satisfying because you can do things like score volleys, and first time layoffs actually work now. If you passed it back to somebody on the edge of the box, in previous Fifa's you had to take a touch. You've had to for years. If you hit it first time, it wasnt going in. Now, they work like they should. You can score some screamers.

Keepers seem much better to me in the full game than in the demo. Even on Legendary difficulty in the demo, I could score tons of goals. In ultimate team, the keepers are pulling off some great saves. I'm seeing a lot of easy chances missed with great saves and some half chances go in which is a nice change from the old "get into this position, press finesse shot" way every goal has been scored for years with fifa.

A new weather mechanic is a welcome changes. The last few years of Fifa have had the same sluggish rain match. Thats gone. I'm glad they finally addressed that.

There are issues though. FIFA tackling is still a mess. I have disliked how tackling works since they implemented "tactical defending" and Fifa 16 is no different. The same problem 15 had is still there.

The slide tackles have improved but standing tackle, jockeying, assaulting, are identical. The opponents are on you like glue in seconds and can foul you with impunity. Even when I'm the one doing it I'm shaking my head. The fact that players dont get tired until the 85th minute even if they are running around like the energizer bunny is stupid. This aspect of the game needs serious work and it hasnt seen any.

Other little irritants are still there. When a free kick or set piece happens, the entire team goes into a predetermined scripted position. The same one every time. It's ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. When they were on 360/ps3 this was okay because they had limited 500 megs of memory......xbone and ps4 have 8 gigs. It's just lazyness.

Tip off positioning is still poor. People are still trying to dribble through your team from the tip off.....and the position the game puts your players in encourages it. You can stop it if you know what you are doing but it simply shouldnt work....ever.

So overall there are still issues. But as a purely online player, slowing down the speedsters and nerfing the over the top through balls is a massive, massive change for the better. Its a good effort and is much more enjoyable to play than fifa 15. New tackling mechanic next year though EA. PLEASE! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm quite enjoying it. The fact that I've already used up my 10 hours of trial is probably a testement to that. There are a lot of positives.

No more pace abuse or over the top through balls completely changes how its played. There is actual build up play now. This doesnt sound like a big deal but if you play online, it is.

Its very easy to intercept a loose pass.....and first time passes tend to be loose. You will notice online in your first few games that you both concede possession to each other 5 times in about 5 seconds back and forth....and thats the old muscle memory/training from previous football games. Tapping pass as soon as your player gets the ball is going to see you lose it.

Initially it might seem frustrating but its actually a good thing. It places a premium on playing smart....and not playing "playstation" football.

Shooting is more satisfying because you can do things like score volleys, and first time layoffs actually work now. If you passed it back to somebody on the edge of the box, in previous Fifa's you had to take a touch. You've had to for years. If you hit it first time, it wasnt going in. Now, they work like they should. You can score some screamers.

Keepers seem much better to me in the full game than in the demo. Even on Legendary difficulty in the demo, I could score tons of goals. In ultimate team, the keepers are pulling off some great saves. I'm seeing a lot of easy chances missed with great saves and some half chances go in which is a nice change from the old "get into this position, press finesse shot" way every goal has been scored for years with fifa.

A new weather mechanic is a welcome changes. The last few years of Fifa have had the same sluggish rain match. Thats gone. I'm glad they finally addressed that.

There are issues though. FIFA tackling is still a mess. I have disliked how tackling works since they implemented "tactical defending" and Fifa 16 is no different. The same problem 15 had is still there.

The slide tackles have improved but standing tackle, jockeying, assaulting, are identical. The opponents are on you like glue in seconds and can foul you with impunity. Even when I'm the one doing it I'm shaking my head. The fact that players dont get tired until the 85th minute even if they are running around like the energizer bunny is stupid. This aspect of the game needs serious work and it hasnt seen any.

Other little irritants are still there. When a free kick or set piece happens, the entire team goes into a predetermined scripted position. The same one every time. It's ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. When they were on 360/ps3 this was okay because they had limited 500 megs of memory......xbone and ps4 have 8 gigs. It's just lazyness.

Tip off positioning is still poor. People are still trying to dribble through your team from the tip off.....and the position the game puts your players in encourages it. You can stop it if you know what you are doing but it simply shouldnt work....ever.

So overall there are still issues. But as a purely online player, slowing down the speedsters and nerfing the over the top through balls is a massive, massive change for the better. Its a good effort and is much more enjoyable to play than fifa 15. New tackling mechanic next year though EA. PLEASE! :P

Thanks for the indepth review.

Although in the demo I noticed my players stamina being red well before the red zone very often. I guess it's different in the full game though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

The speedster thing is an interesting one. One thing that use to wreck my head about previous fifa's is you could have the fastest player in the world beaten to a ball in a foot race by the world's slowest defender, it was infuriating and the tugging of jerseys to stop you as you are pulling away would rarely be pinged by the ref /rant.

I didn't buy fifa 15 but played a good few games in mates houses and the issue still seemed to be there. I hate this all players are the one speed but at least it doesn't cripple fast players. Pace is a big weapon in the real game as it should be in the computer version also.

I was going to buy fifa 16 but i think i'll hold off for a while see how it plays

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Somehow they have taken player switching, which used to be absolutely horrific, and made it worse.

i am shocked at how poor it is.

Just had a penalty against me. Ball went straight through my keeper. :(

It's a tiny bit better than the demo, but still contains almost all of the frustrating nonsense from previous FIFAs.

Still no advantages from offsides in the game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

awec wrote: »
    Somehow they have taken player switching, which used to be absolutely horrific, and made it worse.

Really? In all FIFAs and the 16 demo, I don't have a problem with player switching. Adjusted it to only air balls in every FIFA and it works fine for me.

Really? In all FIFAs and the 16 demo, I don't have a problem with player switching. Adjusted it to only air balls in every FIFA and it works fine for me.

Some of the decisions it makes are just stupid, plain and simple.

Defending in the game is difficult but it's because it's difficult to get the game to do what you want it to do.

For example I had a corner, it was headed to the edge of the box by opposition defender. I had a guy standing on the edge of the box who made no movement at all toward the ball (this is also stupid). The ball bounced in the D at the edge of the box and I hit LB and it gave me control of a player standing on the penalty spot, instead of the guy standing 5 yards behind the ball with the ball heading his direction and who could have shot with his first touch.

Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I have to agree in fairness. Had no lag and still found player switching so slow and inaccurate. Always gets you the player you don't want. I use manual switching with the right analog sometimes in pro evo so might have to start trying it with FIFA

Kirby wrote: »

Really?

I've been playing online for a few hours today and lobbed through balls are still prolific and still easy. Have scored and conceded from a few today.

On the subject of online, unfortunately it's just full of the people who just play as Barcelona and Real Madrid at the moment. I've been picking 4 star teams and still getting matched against Real Madrid. Don't think there's that many people online with the early access.

• Advertisement

Some of the decisions it makes are just stupid, plain and simple.

Defending in the game is difficult but it's because it's difficult to get the game to do what you want it to do.

For example I had a corner, it was headed to the edge of the box by opposition defender. I had a guy standing on the edge of the box who made no movement at all toward the ball (this is also stupid). The ball bounced in the D at the edge of the box and I hit LB and it gave me control of a player standing on the penalty spot, instead of the guy standing 5 yards behind the ball with the ball heading his direction and who could have shot with his first touch.

Stupid.

ah, I've been getting into the habit of using right stick at corners instead of L1. Works pretty good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

have played it and its bloody woeful..to think I bought the 99.99 version as well...screw it off to PES now.

Really?

I've been playing online for a few hours today and lobbed through balls are still prolific and still easy. Have scored and conceded from a few today.

On the subject of online, unfortunately it's just full of the people who just play as Barcelona and Real Madrid at the moment. I've been picking 4 star teams and still getting matched against Real Madrid. Don't think there's that many people online with the early access.

I played 18 games online and conceded from it once. You would be conceding 2 or 3 per game in fifa 15.

The lobbed through balls are much slower/floatier and are much less precise. This means that they arent going exactly where your opponent wants them to....meaning you have time to get a tackle in or backtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

Does anyone think it's worth preordering this game in GameStop if you're going to pick it up the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gunnersaurus

Stooped wrote: »
    Does anyone think it's worth preordering this game in GameStop if you're going to pick it up the next day?

Won't do any harm, although I'd say you will be ok as so many people download now, but it won't cost anything so do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pre ordered this on the US PSN network, total cost of buying the pre pay codes came to €50.

It's handy that it lets you download the game in full now so it'll be ready to play immediately on Tuesday night. I think it's around 18 gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Anyone got this on PC yet and how much?

Nolars wrote: »
    Anyone got this on PC yet and how much?

You can get it for around €40-45 on PC. GMG have a 32% discount code as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Blatter wrote: »
    Pre ordered this on the US PSN network, total cost of buying the pre pay codes came to €50.

It's handy that it lets you download the game in full now so it'll be ready to play immediately on Tuesday night. I think it's around 18 gigs.

5AM on Tuesday morning actually. :)

I know what I'm doing before work!

• Advertisement

I've gone 18-0 in online seasons....with Arsenal. Either I'm getting better or everyone else is getting worse. :P

Advertisement