Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro 2015 Stage 18

• 28-05-2015 2:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No thread?

Alberto attacking after Astana got caught up in a crash. The lead group are 10 mins out. Alberto in no mans land now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can't believe no one is posting.

The stage sounds class (from reading live text anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Serious man crush for Alberto only grows...this is revenge, nothing else. He is being caught thought...has about a minute to the GC group with Landa, Aru, Amador etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

even if he gets captured again, he can sit on till the end of the stage knowing he put the likes of landa and ura under pressure which will stand to him for the next stage(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

This has probably been the best grand tour ever. Something different and exciting every day. Cycling is great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair play to the mechanic. Quick thinking there to save a chain drop

• Advertisement

Aru is toast completely...Landa was hurting coming back too...next few days will be magic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Aru did to much in the first week when there was no need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Ryder Hesejedal with Contador ?? where did he come out of ??

Amador stil riding well while Aru finding it hard

But Kangert should have stayed with Landa

Back to the front

Wonder can Chava, Nocentini & Gilbert catch the leaders

• Advertisement

What a ride by Ryder .....he is going faster than bert at mo

MPFG wrote: »
    Ryder Hesejedal with Contador ?? where did he come out of ??

From behind

Ryder the ghost is there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hilarious attack by Bertie. I think he may be holding a grudge after the attack the other day when he had a mechanical.

1.30 up now. Brilliant.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Was the Contador attack before tv coverage started on ES?

Brian? wrote: »
    Hilarious attack by Bertie. I think he may be holding a grudge after the attack the other day when he had a mechanical.

1.30 up now. Brilliant.

You can see why he did. If it backfired he would look like a idiot

The lads pissed off with bertie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Snowchaser

godtabh wrote: »
    You can see why he did. If it backfired he would look like a idiot

Was it not a bit of karma considering the attack he made on Andy Schleck when he has the mechanical?

Contador didn’t seem to think anything was wrong with that.

pelevin wrote: »
    Was the Contador attack before tv coverage started on ES?

No...after coverage started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Gutted to have missed this stage. Apparently, Eurosport stuck with the tennis in any case and nobody saw the action?

Edit, Ok I see the above post!

• Advertisement

Big attack by Gilbert

Snowchaser wrote: »
    Was it not a bit of karma considering the attack he made on Andy Schleck when he has the mechanical?

Contador didn’t seem to think anything was wrong with that.

There wasn't, Contador chased an attack and Shcleck dropped his chain trying to respond, as far as I remember. Was Contador supposed to sit up and let the attack go?

they/them/theirs

Schleck actually attacked, Alberto was responding and then Andy dropped the chain as Alberto just made it back to him.

This is going to go against the grain but I think Contador 's attack was not wise....He is playing to the gallery but a wise man would think of Froome, Quintana & Nibali and save energy

Phil Gil goes early ....maybe a bit too early

Schleck actually attacked, Alberto was responding and then Andy dropped the chain as Alberto just made it back to him.

You're right.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Great stage. For a while at the start it looked like Contador was going to go solo for 40km. He was almost two minutes up at one point but now he's holding it pretty steady between a minute and a minute and a half.

Currently Gilbert is about 10 seconds clear at the head of the race with 8km remaining.

This is going to go against the grain but I think Contador 's attack was not wise....He is playing to the gallery but a wise man would think of Froome, Quintana & Nibali and save energy

Phil Gil goes early ....maybe a bit too early

It was pretty smart. Gives him a extra minute to lose tomorrow for not a lot of effort. He was riding within himself up the climb, if he was going full gas Ryder wouldn't have caught him.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    It was pretty smart. Gives him a extra minute to lose tomorrow for not a lot of effort. He was riding within himself up the climb, if he was going full gas Ryder wouldn't have caught him.

I don't agree but time will tell in the 3rd week of the Tour de France

You're blind if you think Contador was going full gas there...that was a training session for him

• Advertisement

Gilbert is on his own into the final kilometre. The stage is his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just checked the start list . None of them are due to start tomorrow. Hes better off racing against his competition in this race rather than worrying about something that may or may not happen in a months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Go on Gilbert ya good thing ;):D

Oh we'll see alright.

they/them/theirs

Smart move from Hesjedal too - he crossed the line with Contador so he stays in the same place relative to Contador while everyone else moves back a minute or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I don't think contador really believes he can win the Tour to be honest. Quintana and an on form Froome have too much for him. I think that's why he went for the double because at least he'll have the Giro win to fall back on and an excuse for not winning the Tour.

• Advertisement

I don't think contador really believes he can win the Tour to be honest. Quintana and an on form Froome have too much for him. I think that's why he went for the double because at least he'll have the Giro win to fall back on and an excuse for not winning the Tour.

He beat Froome in the Vuelta & didn't look much like a man who'd be searching for an excuse for not winning the Tour. He might be surprised to succeed with the double but I don't think he at all matches up to the idea of a man lacking self-belief.

If Contador peaks for the Tour then he'll beat anyone....and convincingly. He still isn't close to his peak here....more than good enough to take apart solid GC guys like Uran, Aru, Hesjedal, Landa, Amador etc... I think in 2011 he peaked to early and hence why his Giro there was devastatingly good and why he suffered in the Tour... I think he's got it right this time... Injuries are the only thing that can prevent him from hitting peak form for the Tour. I think only Nibali will challenge him anyway as Quintana isn't good enough yet overall and Froome will never get close to his crazy 2013 performance.

pelevin wrote: »
    He beat Froome in the Vuelta & didn't look much like a man who'd be searching for an excuse for not winning the Tour. He might be surprised to succeed with the double but I don't think he at all matches up to the idea of a man lacking self-belief.

Also he won the Vuelta just a few weeks after fracturing his tibia.

He will win this Giro after a shouler dislocation.

Remarkable, imagine what he can do if he is injury free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

The Giro has been great viewing, I know it's still ongoing, live in the moment etc. .... but god damn the Tour is going to be great this year. Can't wait for it.

You're blind if you think Contador was going full gas there...that was a training session for him

Well I am not blind !!!!!....by the top he was tired and in 75 days he will be very tired

there was no need to attack...his lead is very big...and if there was a little less worship you could see that too...and he was going full gas as he kept lead to Landa (& full top 10) who has been as good if not a better climber in this Giro

But we can revisit this in last week of Tour de France if you like

• Advertisement

So Astana attack Contador when he has a mechanical.

This is considered a disgrace and unsporting etc

Contador does the same thing today and it is called brilliant and legendary?

Amazing.

Well I am not blind !!!!!....by the top he was tired and in 75 days he will be very tired

there was no need to attack...his lead is very big...and if there was a little less worship you could see that too...and he was going full gas as he kept lead to Landa (& full top 10) who has been as good if not a better climber in this Giro

But we can revisit this in last week of Tour de France if you like

He was tired yes as is anyone who does a big climb like that...and he did it on his own...he was bound to be wrecked...and yes there was a need to attack, Astana were owed a bit of payback for what they did when he got a mechanical and he also earned another 1 minute plus...definitely worth it. Landa is a good climber but cannot compete with Contador head to head climbing...

As I said Contador hasn't peaked yet, this is the best training he can get for the Tour...he's pushing himself, but never going full gas.

As I said time will tell re Contador's tactics today but if I was Niabli Or Froome watching him today I would be very nervous

Quintana I don't think gets nervous ...at least if he does no one knows

Amazing.

I'd say it's blindingly obvious why people would praise him for sticking the knife into Astana. He was very mild in his comments on their attacking him 2 days ago, & instead simply returned the medicine. Live by the sword, die by it. He didn't make a big deal of it in terms of his comments. He simply let his legs do the talking. He is so far ahead of anyone else on GC, I don't think it could be considered in any way relevant his 'attacking' other GC contenders as there aren't any.

Also he won the Vuelta just a few weeks after fracturing his tibia.

He will win this Giro after a shouler dislocation.

Remarkable, imagine what he can do if he is injury free?

You're full of praise for him. And then you seem to be all angry one post later. Very abrupt change of heart there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Amazing.

No, people said it was Karma. Instead of bitching the other day he simply chased back after Aru and taught him a lesson.

He then showed them how to do it properly today.

i never get all this 'don't attack the others' position. He had a mechanical the other day, thats his problem. Should have got his mechanic to do a better job. His chain fell today, seriously, what are they doing?

But he lost the jersey because of a crash the other day, should Aru have waited? Luck always plays a part and thems the breaks.

Yeah as someone said, Aru attacked with 50 km to go and lost over 2 minutes...Contador attacked with 50 km to go and gained over a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

How does he ride continually out of the saddle like that? He must have quads of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

How does he ride continually out of the saddle like that? He must have quads of steel.

Just comes very naturally to some people. I've always ridden like that too, and I'm rubbish, even for a leisure cyclist.

His climbing style is one of the most effective and enjoyable to watch for sure...it's second nature to him now. If you think out of the saddle is crazy, take a lot at Chris Horner...rarely if ever climbs without being out of the saddle

• Advertisement
Advertisement