Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redphone

• 28-05-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Any of you using it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.redphone&hl=en

I was pleasantly surprised at a mobile data in the middle east to mobile data in Ireland call with google hangouts there recently so decided to give Redphone a whirl. Call quality is about the same as normal voice with a small (but noticeable) amount of lag. It doesn't affect conversation flow though (IMO).

It is very light on features though - no ability to create direct dial shortcuts for example and there is one bug that annoyed me. I installed it first, then my wife. She sees me in her Redphone contacts list but I don't see her and there's no obvious way to update it.

Still....encrypted voice calls ftw! Especially in the age of stingrays.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ah, I didn' t know the restart would update it. I almost never power my phone off (I stick it in airplane mode at night). Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Khannie wrote: »
    Any of you using it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.redphone&hl=en

I was pleasantly surprised at a mobile data in the middle east to mobile data in Ireland call with google hangouts there recently so decided to give Redphone a whirl. Call quality is about the same as normal voice with a small (but noticeable) amount of lag. It doesn't affect conversation flow though (IMO).

It is very light on features though - no ability to create direct dial shortcuts for example and there is one bug that annoyed me. I installed it first, then my wife. She sees me in her Redphone contacts list but I don't see her and there's no obvious way to update it.

Still....encrypted voice calls ftw! Especially in the age of stingrays.

Pleased you like it Khannie. After I installed TextSecure last year my SO and I used it for a time... good old ZRTP but we weren't able to get the same kind of call quality as when using Skype/Facetime... perhaps if there was more widespread adoption of security-focused products we'd see more companies scrambling to improve call quality?

One of the other reasons I was put off it was the proprietary firmware used for modems in Samsung Galaxy phones... it seems to be almost impossible to use a mobile phone without risking a backdoor of some kind... Any solutions are welcome! :)

Advertisement