Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vague uninformative property adds.

Options
  • 28-05-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Why do some Estate Agents fail to provide full information on their adds?
    Example included below, this is the entirety of the add:

Description

Impressive residence with its classic good looks enjoys superbly spacious private shrub filled gardens. Accommodation: Entrance hall, large sittingroom, kitchen, sunroom, utility room, downstairs w.c. 3/4 bedrooms, shower room and bathroom. Integrated garage. Fabulous manicured, shrub filled gardens. Viewings highly recommended.
    BER Details

BER: D2
    BER No. 105368005
    Energy Performance Indicator: XXX kWh/m²/yr
    Viewing Details

By appointment only

I rang to find out the sq footage and was told it's a grand sized house, a decent sized house, when again i said so what's the square footage, they said, why do you want to know that? I just said I thought it was a fairly standard question.

Head is absolutely melted with house hunting. Its is like they have got lazy again because things are picking up. What is the point of having online inquiry forms in relation to properties if they never reply to the inquiries sent in? I actually had one estate agent ring 2 weeks after I submitted an online inquiry, wondering did I want to view it. Eh, you showed it to me last week? I had given up on the online inquiry and rang the office, viewed it and the same person who showed me it, was ringing me again in response to my online inquiry.

Rant over!!

Comments

Oh don't get me started.

What I find the most irritating is when they have the cheek to put "By Appointment Only" and "Viewing Highly Recommended" ... but when you call about the house they don't even have any plans to show it and WON'T until "enough interest is registered". THEN, if you're lucky they'll let you know when the viewing is on but more often than not they don't. Very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There was a great bit on 'Have I Got News for You'.

A woman revived an abusive text from an estate agent after her car exploded - calling her a 'F***ing Lair'. The punch line being that they then offered her a job.

I'm afraid all I can offer is to lighten the mood. EAs are a pain in the neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Or when they take the photos with a potatoe and lose interest in capturing every room and stop after 3 pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH floor plans should be a legal requirement as long as a BER is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When we were house hunting there was an ad for a house in an area we liked but the ad was very sparse in terms of details etc. We when enquired further with the EA, he said that the information was all he was given by the property owner (a landlord) and that we was going to take down the ad and pull out of acting as EA as the seller was refusing to take the EA's calls, meet the EA or pay for any outlay. Turns out the seller only wanted the house up for sale on the net to keep the banks off his back. Not trying to stick up for EA's by any means!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    When we were house hunting there was an ad for a house in an area we liked but the ad was very sparse in terms of details etc. We when enquired further with the EA, he said that the information was all he was given by the property owner (a landlord) and that we was going to take down the ad and pull out of acting as EA as the seller was refusing to take the EA's calls, meet the EA or pay for any outlay. Turns out the seller only wanted the house up for sale on the net to keep the banks off his back. Not trying to stick up for EA's by any means!!

Yeah, EA's might be the 11th plague of Moses but sometimes the problems stem from the vendors. The vendors looking "asking + X" before they accept an offer are a real pest these days.

gaius c wrote: »
    Yeah, EA's might be the 11th plague of Moses but sometimes the problems stem from the vendors. The vendors looking "asking + X" before they accept an offer are a real pest these days.

Fair enough, that's a real problem too. But I blame the EAs when I can't even get to SEE a property.

Actually, what grinds my gears even more is the outright LIES that they put in ads. Apparently Crumlin Hospital is a 25 minute walk from St Stephen's Green! :confused:

Sorry, I did say "don't get me started" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

If you are buying an apartment, surely one of the pieces of information an EA should know is the Service Charges. For me it is one of the deciding factors of whether I would buy. Being a pensioner, I don't want to fork out €1800+ (and rising) every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I think it’s a shame sellers don’t advertise privately a bit more and give as much information as they would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's 134.18 (m2) :)

Available here with BER number https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Thanks Jaffa20 for that. It's 1444 sq feet!Should have thought of that myself. Spoke to two of the estate agents from the firm yesterday and neither thought to suggest that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

So the Estate Agents rang to tell me it is 120 m2. Bit of a difference, but maybe the BER figure includes the garage as her figure does not.

Advertisement