Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House Sale

Options
  • 28-05-2015 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,831 ✭✭✭✭

Sale agreed since 15th April.

My solicitor received contracts last week and is "going through the title", he did also say that the property I am buying was at some stage a council property so the sale can not be closed until the consent of the council is received (this will need to be done by the vendor)......

anyone any idea of how long this might take? Anything I can do from my side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

gmisk wrote: »

My solicitor received contracts last week and is "going through the title", he did also say that the property I am buying was at some stage a council property so the sale can not be closed until the consent of the council is received (this will need to be done by the vendor)......

Dublin CC were very fast in my case, a week or so. The vendors on the other hand were a bloody nightmare. Check the length of time remaining on the lease if it's under 70 years you may have an issue. Regardless you'll be able to convert it to freehold handy enough.

Dublin CC (assuming Dublin) will tell you once it's been received/approved etc. I found them excellent in all honesty. Just watch out for some of the more strange clauses on the deeds - technically I'm not allowed an Au Pair or chickens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

technically I'm not allowed an Au Pair or chickens :pac:

that'd be a deal breaker for me and would have walked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cheers for that MarkAnthony, much appreciated, yes its in Dublin.
    It is up to the vendors to get the consent from the council? or can my solicitor do it?

I wont buy/count my chickens just yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The vendor needs to do it. They will need an undertaking from you it is a PPR.

You both essentially request it. They fill out a form, you fill out a form (S2 IIRC). The odd thing I had was a subdivided plot (my house is (made up numbers) 50A the original council house was number 50). Also because the house/land had been sold for value previously permission wasn't needed - which actually held things up as we had to get Dublin CC to give us that in writing.

The problem with all of this is they need contracts signed before they can start the process. It's not going to delay things much though if my experience was anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

The house was previously a council house and the tenant purchased it and is now selling it to you. The consent of the council is required on the first resale or any re mortgage of the property. The vendor will apply to the councils housing department for consent. They will have to show that they are taking care of their housing needs out of the proceeds of sale ie purchasing another property or in the case of an elderly person living in a nursing home or with a relative. As the purchaser you will have to be in need of housing and not purchasing the house to rent out etc.

Just home from solicitor...have signed everything from my side and provided a cheque for the rest of 10% of purchase price.
    I cant be given a closing date apparently until consent for sale given by council (they fill in a form and so do I).
    This couldn't be done until I signed on the dotted line.
    Not sure how long this likely to take...any ideas?
    (oh 110 years still on lease)

Just home from solicitor...have signed everything from my side and provided a cheque for the rest of 10% of purchase price.
    I cant be given a closing date apparently until consent for sale given by council (they fill in a form and so do I).
    This couldn't be done until I signed on the dotted line.
    Not sure how long this likely to take...any ideas?
    (oh 110 years still on lease)

No they require signed contracts, but there is usually a recision date of X days after their consent comes back. As I say took about two weeks for me.

Great stuff fingers crossed things will progress quickly

They aren't :(
    They signed S1 form and I signed
    Signed my S2 form almost 3 weeks ago now still nothing.
    Last update from solicitor Wednesday this week
    "Consent still awaited"

• Advertisement

They aren't :(
    They signed S1 form and I signed
    Signed my S2 form almost 3 weeks ago now still nothing.
    Last update from solicitor Wednesday this week
    "Consent still awaited"

Have you phoned the council?

Nope good thinking......Would I ring the local council of the area I am buying in?

Nope good thinking......Would I ring the local council of the area I am buying in?

I had to ring the Dublin City office and speak to the housing section. Dunno outside of Dublin CC I'm afraid.

Advertisement