Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guitar theory start point

Options
  • 28-05-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'v been playing guitar on and off for quite a few years, I am self taught and would say I play half decent.

While I can bash out a few tunes and enjoy learning new songs, I never went beyond putting chords together or learning the theory and scales. I have been looking it up on youtube lately and have been learning some scales and a small bit of theory, but would like to get more structure to learning.

Would anyone suggest books that might help? Or should I go back to the drawing board and get lessons? I think learning this will challenge me and improve my playing. I would hope to achieve picking up songs quicker, being able to jam with other musicians easier, and better fretboard use/soloing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Hi Folks,
    Or should I go back to the drawing board and get lessons?

In a word..YES !! ;) Take as many lessons as you can afford. You will learn a lot more (and quicker) than you would on your own. The ideal thing would be for the teacher to recommend a book (after having assessed your playing level, and your goals) and then work through it with you. If your budget is tight, try to get at least six lessons. This will give you enough "ammunition" to work on until you can save up enough money for another six.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks for that. I will start scouting around for lessons so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Thanks for that. I will start scouting around for lessons so!

It can be a bit of a lottery finding a good teacher who you can relate to, feel at ease with and learn from. Make sure to check out his/her credentials before making a decision.

Advertisement