Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the moy

Options
  • 28-05-2015 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Having Never fished The Moy before I am planning a trip for two weeks time

I fish all methods and just looking for some info on which beat to try and prices ??

possibly a bed and breakfast to stay in also ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

just read that thanks.

would still like some First hand experience If possible i only have 2 days and want to make the most Of it

even sea trout fishing on the saturday night If possible

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

If you wish to fish with worms or spinners then you're probably best fishing some of the fisheries that begin where the lake river joins the moy. The river is like a canal from there until it reaches the weir in ballina. If its fly fishing you're after then there's not really much choice. The only real option is the East Mayo Anglers waters above foxford. The best thing about their water is that you can fish all three methods and they have all types of water to suit each. The only thing about their waterr is that because it lies above the confluence with the lakes, it's level fluctuates on a daily basis depending on the amount of rainfall.
    In general the fisheries below the east mayo anglers will have more fish in them but if I'm to be honest I think your best bet is to go into one of the tackle shops and ask. Tiernan brothers in foxford would probably be your best bet. They're in a fairly convenient location with regards to most of the fisheries on the moy.
    I personally would recommend the EMA's fishery as even if the fish aren't playing ball they have about 10 miles of bank to fish and you can spend most of the day exploring and fishing a new pool you haven't tried before. You can check the water levels at ballylahan bridge using waterlevel.ie and if the level is between 0.6 - 1.0 meter then the 'fly only' water on the EMA's fishery is well worth a go.

Of course, you could always try to get a day or two down on one of the ifi's beat's in ballina however that would involve you having to get in contact with them and checking availability

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

I waited all my life to have a fish on the Moy. I did get one on the spinner. I blanked a second time when the river was full of the smallest grilse ever seen.
    The problem is that most of the "anglers" are from Mainland Europe and fish worms.
    They camp out and group around hot spots, suspending worms under pike floats, fishing with gear more suitable for a sea pier.
    It is all about money and ticket sales.
    If you want a laugh look at the free bit below the Ridge pool weir. usually 20 people crammed in 30 yards fishing bunches of worms.
    If there is a rise in water there is a good chance of a fish, many are small though.
    The Tackle shop mentioned above is good and a place to get tickets.
    Worth one go in a lifetime, more of course if you live local.

Advertisement