Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a Meat/Bread Slicer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My advice ... don't! Cleaning them is a pain in the proverbials. We have quite an expensive Krups one, and it does a good job, but the prospect of cleaning it afterwards means it spends most of it's life gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have a Buffalo slicer very similar to the model in your link. It gets an occasional outing when we're cooking for big groups, like family bbq. Pain to clean, involves screwdrivers and usually results in me getting a cut at least once as the circular blade is difficult to handle.

Saying that, its difficult to get meat sliced consistently as thin using a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd like one of those from a deli but prob cost a bomb??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I have the one you linked and use it regularly, I don't mind cleaning it, I just kind of tip it over the sink and wash and rinse. I see by the link that I bought it in 2012 so it's lasting fine. At that price it's a bargain.

I had a different one before that I preferred, only because it had a grippy bit to hold while cleaning!

I generally use it for slicing cooked meat joints, ham, turkey etc..for lunch meat. It's a lot cheaper and nicer than buying processed meat IMO.

My previous one had weekly usage til the motor failed, they're great but like any kitchen appliance, can be dust gatherers for some.

Yes see my thinking is the same re lunch meat. I'd prefer to buy joints, cook them and slice them myself, plus it's cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes see my thinking is the same re lunch meat. I'd prefer to buy joints, cook them and slice them myself, plus it's cheaper

Yeah it's much cheaper. You need hungry mouths tho because you get a lot of sliced meat off a joint and it really only keeps for about 4 days in my experience. Best results is slice when stone cold (from the fridge if possible).

Freeze in airtight bags would be the plan

Advertisement