Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD Loyalty?

• 28-05-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

How does this demonstrate itself in the dog? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I've never owned a GSD, but I have worked with a good bunch of them. I imagine their loyalty is demonstrated by the fact they are very focused on their owner. The GSDs I've worked with haven't been the most sociable with strangers, not in a bad way, just in a "I'm not interested in being petted by you, you're not my owner" way, they don't seem to seek out the attention of people not from their family.

But when it comes to their owner? "You are my human and I adore you!" sums up my experiences with meeting/working with them lol. It really seems to be a real "relationship" with a GSD, for example I say hi and have small talk with one of my co-workers, doesn't bother me if they are here or not, but with my boyfriend I'm happiest to be around him, and can tell him anything and am totally relaxed, it's like that with a GSD, if that makes any sense?!

Would love to see other peoples views on this, great thread!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Not sure if this is answering your question as such. I grew up with the gsd as my family's dog of choice and I can say (with just a smidgen of bias ;) ) that they are the most wonderful pets imaginable! I could give hundreds of examples but I think this one will demonstrate how they feel about their people. Or maybe just how i felt about them.

My father was a man with a short temper and I was a kid who was perpetually late for everything. I was the last up in the morning for breakfast and the last out the door for school, causing all my siblings to be late along with me. This drove my dad insane and created constant arguments. One morning he'd had enough. I won't go into details but let's just say he lost the rag and it wasn't pretty! Our gsd was very distressed by this. My father was his true owner (fed him, brushed him, walked him etc) but I was his beloved little person. He didn't intervene but he was barking and ... Well panicking. Anyways... Every morning after that the dog would come into my room about half an hour before we were usually called and proceed to push me out of my bed. He'd start by squeezing his big ol self onto my tiny single bed beside my legs and slowly shuffle his way up it until I was in a foetal position on my pillow, desperately trying to ignore him and keep sleeping. Eventually he'd leave me with no choice. Get up or fall out. I wasn't late again for the rest of the school year. He did it right up until a couple of weeks into the summer holidays.

Was it a coincidence? Did he just all of a sudden fancy my cozy warm bed in the mornings? Yeah maybe! But to me it truly felt like he was trying to keep me safe because he was always looking after us.

Sounds kinda crazy written down!

TLDR I love GSDs but I'm crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

I own a GSD and honestly couldn't add anything to what VonVix said. Its the most accurate description of my life :)

In fact I get embarrassed explaining to strangers why she doesn't even look at them when they are trying to get her attention when we're out and about!

I am delighted when I meet people who see past the "Big bad dog" and want to engage with her and then she shows me up by totally and utterly ignoring them because its her "job" to mind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I have a black female rescue GSD.I have her 6 yrs now,so she is about 10 yrs old.Like others have said,she has no interest in anyone but me!
    She is like a bear,which means she attracts a lot of attention and everyone wants to pet her.
    She accepts the attention but wouldn't enjoy it like another breed of dog would.
    She won't go out for a walk with anyone but me,which can be a bit of a problem if I'm sick or going away.
    She is like my shadow when I bring her for a walk,as she stays right beside me or behind me.
    If I go out for a few hours,she will be at the hall door waiting for me to come home.
    She had surgery a few weeks ago and while I was in the waiting room waiting to pick her up,I heard a dog screaming the place down.The Vet ran out to get me and she only stopped when she heard my voice.I couldn't believe that it was her making all the noise,as she is normally a very quiet dog.
    The most faithful dog I have ever owned.Highly recommend a GSD :-)

Advertisement