Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work boots

• 28-05-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭

So what work boots do ye lot have a preference for? I'm not talking about wellies.

my current pair have seen better days tbh

Say for a days tractor work or a summers day in the yard. I usually just pick up any breed of ankle steel toe capped boot that lasts about a year or so. Was thinking of getting a good hatd wearing pair this time round if there is such a thing :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Used to have a few prs of cat lace up boots, best workboots I ever had anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Reggie. wrote: »
    So what work boots do ye lot have a preference for? I'm not talking about wellies.

Say for a days tractor work or a summers day in the yard. I usually just pick up any breed of ankle steel toe capped boot that lasts about a year or so. Was thinking of getting a good hatd wearing pair this time round if there is such a thing :)

I always buy a grisport steel toe cap hiking boot. Buy them at about €70 in a place called Greenes in Clonroche, Co. Wexford. I have seen them at €100-110 in other places. Seriously comfortable and last abou 12-15 months. Make sure what you get has soles glued on not stitched as the cow**** eats the stitching away and they fall apart after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Find the NO RISK ones good comfortable and not bad wearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Ah Reggie!
    Your irish!
    And your in the defence forces!
    You need a pair of...
    Czechoslovakians...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Ah Reggie!
    Your irish!
    And your in the defence forces!
    You need a pair of...
    Czechoslovakians...

:eek: the cut of them

• Advertisement

:eek: the cut of them

Never done the oul men going to mass any harm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭mayota

Thems not czechoslovakians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Redbacks .best boot i have worn yet.Strong money but the will last.
    There's a lad in Wales that sells them mail order,he does have an add in the"farmers Weekly"

mayota wrote: »
    Thems not czechoslovakians.

Closest I could get on stupid google
    I know they should be brown for a start
    Internet no help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭mayota

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Closest I could get on stupid google
    I know they should be brown for a start
    Internet no help

I had forgotten about them myself. You'd see the laces gone brown from the shoe polish !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

WOULD GETTING OUT OF D WELLIES AND BUYING A GOOD PAIR OF BOOTHS BE GOOD FOR SORE SHINS ??
    OR IS IT JUST OLD AGE ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Blundstone, comfortable from the moment you first put them on, not cheap but they last well if you mind them.

http://www.twomeys.ie/#/blundstone-redback/4573891792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Find the NO RISK ones good comfortable and not bad wearing
    I am on my 10th or 11th pair now and they are by far the best work boots I ever had,
    I pay about 70 every 6 to 8 months , might find better for more dosh but I'm not about too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

WOULD GETTING OUT OF D WELLIES AND BUYING A GOOD PAIR OF BOOTHS BE GOOD FOR SORE SHINS ??
    OR IS IT JUST OLD AGE ..

You wouldn't know yourself if you got yourself a proper pair of boots.
    If you like light boots, something like the Brasher Supalites are good.
    A slightly beefier boot would be some of the Meindl, like Makalu or Burma pro.
    They ain't cheap. But you've only the one pair of feet...... Look after them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Are ye boys not issued with Meindl Army Pro boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I must desperate hard on boots, two to three months and they are shot with me. I've a pair of cofra boots at the moment that seem to be holding their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Redbacks .best boot i have worn yet.Strong money but the will last.
    There's a lad in Wales that sells them mail order,he does have an add in the"farmers Weekly"

+1000
    I had a pair for years. By far the best boot you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Meindl Burma Pro , expensive but you get what you pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Have a pair of Burma pro since 2006... Heavy but they are the fendt of boots!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Ex German Army boots
    Will stand up to any abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

https://www.mackboots.com.au/products/Z-MKFARMER?CampaignCode=Specials
    on my 3rd or 4th pair of these run about 85 euro a pair last me around 12-14 months tried alot of boots and these are the ones stuck with me anyway only fault i can have with them is if you do any amount of work on your knees the toes will be out of them learned that when i started to mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

No one polishes their boots anymore. As an apprentice in the ESB I was once pulled up by a store man responsible for issuing PPE. for having tatty workboots. Given a lecture about cleaning and polishing. Important to lifetime of the leather.
    Was often tempted to buy a pair of Dr Martens 10 hole steel toed boots but the thoughts of opening all the lacing at tbe end of a long day is putting me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Are ye boys not issued with Meindl Army Pro boots?

Nope. Used to be issued meindl's boots but are issued some other breed of one now. Not steel toe tho and a bit heavy for around the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Have a pair of Haix x21 boots here for outdoor work , great boot dry feet no matter what, but hard to break in at first,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

OR IS IT JUST OLD AGE ..

That is probably a bit of shin splints. The willies are bad for it because they have no arch support and are so flat. Your best bet would be a light pair of hill-walking boots. I have the same issue myself, it comes from having flat feet, or 'over-pronation' if you want the full title. I bought a pair of insoles for it too, pain completely gone, well worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

OR IS IT JUST OLD AGE ..

does sound like shin splints. some foam rolling might help with that but try the advice from others as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

The perfect boots for you Reggie :D

6T5UVT.png
    (Thanks to the power of Google ads!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just do it wrote: »
    The perfect boots for you Reggie :D

jasus could yea get that ad any bigger! like the red though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jasus could yea get that ad any bigger! like the red though
    Real hooker boots, and I'm not talkin rugby!

Reggie them army issue boots look all right. Are they comfortable?

Wearing a pair of these http://www.adverts.ie/boots/insulated-slip-on-dealer-boots/3057051 atm, ok for the money so far.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

That is probably a bit of shin splints. The willies are bad for it because they have no arch support and are so flat.

Heh heh heh heh :D

Advertisement