Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Lavender plants are gone wild

Options
  • 28-05-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

This is my first year with new garden and its full of lavender but I dont know what to do with it. I had some flower last year but none this year maybe because I didnt cut it back on time (only a bit in march) - is there any hope for it - all huge plants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

tricky99 wrote: »
    This is my first year with new garden and its full of lavender but I dont know what to do with it. I had some flower last year but none this year maybe because I didnt cut it back on time (only a bit in march) - is there any hope for it - all huge plants.

Your fine mine is the same it normally blooms mid to late summer depending on variety.

Now is the time to take cuttings if you want more plants for next year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

When is the best time to prune Lavender? Have some new plants that were put in the ground late last summer/early autumn ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

What are the best conditions for planting lavender? I bought a plant and not sure if i should place it in the sunny garden or in the walled garden? Also not sure if I should put it out yet due to the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Mickalus wrote: »
    When is the best time to prune Lavender? Have some new plants that were put in the ground late last summer/early autumn ish.

Prune after flowering but not into old wood. Leave some foliage.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

222233 wrote: »
    What are the best conditions for planting lavender? I bought a plant and not sure if i should place it in the sunny garden or in the walled garden? Also not sure if I should put it out yet due to the weather?

Lavender like a sunny well drained site and are fine outside. Just harden off if its been inside for a while by leaving it out at during the day for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are so many different varieties of Lavender and preferred growing and maintenance requirements do vary. Plants range widely in height & spread, so it is important to pick wisely from 200mm to 2000mm+.

The plants have a limited life span typically 4-5 years, once plants start to get woody, this usually signals the beginning of terminal decline.

As a general guide, faded flower stems should be cut and removed after flowering (late August) and within 1 month plant foliage should be cut back by at least 30% each year for the first 3 years. This may sound drastic, but it will help to keep the plants dense, compact and prevent any woody growth. It will also help prolong plant life. Thereafter cut faded flowers, and trim foliage lightly avoiding cutting into wood.

Usually good to take cuttings and start growing replacements every 3 years.

Advertisement