Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You need a qualified electrician for such works these days and upon completion of any works no matter how big or small the sparky has to issue you with a cert. That's the law I'm afraid and to get the local handy man in could well invalidate your insurance if you were unfortunate enough to have a fire started as a result of an electrical fault.

Where about are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

muffler wrote: »
    You need a qualified electrician for such works these days and upon completion of any works no matter how big or small the sparky has to issue you with a cert. That's the law I'm afraid and to get the local handy man in could well invalidate your insurance if you were unfortunate enough to have a fire started as a result of an electrical fault.

Where about are you based?

You don't actually need a sparks to replace a switch -
    http://www.ecssa.ie/wp-content/themes/ecssa/core/pdf/Electrical_Safety_Factsheet_for_RECs_230312.pdf

" Minor electrical works remain outside the scope
    of Controlled Electrical Works; these
    include very small works such as like-for like
    replacements (e.g. switches), moving
    light fittings without affecting the circuit
    and adding a socket to an existing circuit."

However, it might not be a bad idea as there's a chance it started smoking up due to a further fault, not just with itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks. Well be sure to go the registered route so just found this list
    http://www.reci.ie/ConsumerServices/FindanElectrician.aspx

Advertisement